Author Topic: Weekend Update 9/12/21  (Read 3167 times)

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Respect: +695
Re: Weekend Update 9/12/21
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2021, 09:57:37 PM »
Thanks for that info , My thought was to find pieces of the wreckage steel being shipped by rail for future display , or even scrap .

I think the Steel at the International Peace Gardens in North Dakota / Manitoba was shipped to Winnipeg by rail.
I remember seeing pictures, but it may have been part of a private collection and not online...

That was a pretty early memorial put up in 2002.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 10:04:34 PM by Missaberoad »
Ryan in Alberta

milw156

• Crew
  • Respect: +90
    • Modutrak
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2021, 05:45:04 PM »
+3
Took advantage of some time off to make some progress on making some GN express boxcars out of Micro Trains REA express refers for a mail and express train. First two pictures are the inspiration. Stripped paint off two REAX cars, shaved the plug door hardware off and smoothed up the area. Next I took some 8'(?)Youngstown doors and cut about 2 feet out of the middle and glued them over the door opening. Then I shaved off the icing hatches, filing in the holes with evergreen styrene, and sanded smooth. I used the roof walk pins, glued in from underneath to plug the holes, shaved off the roof walks flush, and carved the mounting pads to the contour of the roof. I shortened the side ladders to just under 5 rungs. The prototypes retained their High brake wheels which I only discovered after removing it on one of the two cars I am doing :facepalm: but the B end of the car also got lowered. Finally, I sanded the protrusions on the side sills so it was flush all the way across. Dealing with the end ladders was the most difficult part of the whole project. Need to add grab irons to the brakewheel end of the car, and fill in those "dimples on the roof above the doors. Not 100% proto, but close enough by the 3 foot rule.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 01:21:19 AM by milw156 »

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +751
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2021, 07:16:16 PM »
Took advantage of some time off to make some progress on making some GN express boxcars out of Micro Trains REA express refers for a mail and express train. First two pictures are the inspiration. Stripped paint off two REAX cars, shaved the plug door hardware off and smoothed up the area. Next I took some 8'(?)Youngstown doors and cut about 2 feet out of the middle and glued them over the door opening. Then I shaved off the icing hatches, filing in the holes with evergreen styrene, and sanded smooth. I used the roof walk pins, glued in from underneath to plug the holes, shaved off the roof walks flush, and carved the mounting pads to the contour of the roof. I shortened the side ladders to just under 5 rungs. The prototypes retained their High brake wheels which I only discovered after removing it on one of the two cars I am doing :facepalm: but the B end of the car also got lowered. Finally, I sanded the protrusions on the side sills so it was flush all the way across. Dealing with the end ladders was the most difficult part of the whole project. Need to add grab irons to the brakewheel end of the car, and fill in those "dimples on the roof above the doors. Not 100% proto, but close enough by the 3 foot rule.

This car looks awesome. Which paint scheme are you planning?

Tom Todd

• Crew
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2021, 09:30:56 PM »
+1
Please consider making a mold and copies. I’d buy a few for my Fast Mail.
Tom Todd
Go Great; Go Great Northern

Or SP&S

milw156

• Crew
  • Respect: +90
    • Modutrak
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2021, 01:24:36 AM »
I have modified 2 cars so far, had planned on one of each of those GN schemes. Don't really have the where with all to make castings at this time.