Author Topic: Rapido Osgood Bradley's in N scale  (Read 7673 times)

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +431
Re: Rapido Osgood Bradley's in N scale
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2021, 11:55:49 AM »
I want to get one of these coaches to repaint for the East Wind.    Can't find an undec, so I'm going to get a decorated model with silver window frames.

Does anyone know if the window "glass" is easily removed for repainting (the car body, not the windows)?

George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

jjb62556

• Crew
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2021, 12:08:12 PM »
If it's like their other cars it just pops out like Kato's.

nickelplate759

• Crew
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2021, 12:35:51 PM »
If it's like their other cars it just pops out like Kato's.

Some vendors glue their windows in (e.g. Con-Cor Budd passenger cars, Intermountain at one time, not sure about today). I'm glad Rapido isn't one of them.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 01:42:11 PM by nickelplate759 »
George
NKPH&TS #3628

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +575
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2021, 01:34:39 PM »
+1
Some vendors glue their windows in (e.g. Intermountain at one time, not sure about today). I'm glad Rapido isn't one of them.

George,
I only have one car (from the lot done in CN paint), but if they are all like mine, the windows can be removed, with a couple small caveats.

1- opening the car involves removing the floor (the floor, interior and "easy peasy" lighting are attached to one another).  It's fairly easy (works more or less like taking the shell off a Kato F unit), but I am glad I read the instructions rather than working for an hour to get the roof loose.  This is fairly common nowadays with Kato and others, but is different from the older Rapido "panorama" cars where the roof came off to install the lighting or change batteries.

2- on my car, at the ends of the car, there was some "tacky" substance (like tacky glue or tape adhesive, maybe to hold it during assembly?), but just a dot and that popped loose without any issues.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 01:37:34 PM by thomasjmdavis »
Tom D.

If you don't know what it is, don't throw it out.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +575
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2021, 01:49:13 PM »
+6
You know, I got a little misty eyed seeing "started by Puddington" under the thread title when this thread popped up again today.  I remember trading emails with him about these cars, and the CN baggage cars....
Tom D.

If you don't know what it is, don't throw it out.

thbguy

• Crew
  • Respect: +36
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2021, 03:52:08 PM »
+1
You and me both.
Michael Livingston
Modeling southern Ontario in N scale

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt. ~ Abraham Lincoln.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +1824
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2021, 04:36:46 PM »
Who brought this back from the archives??

The windows in the second and third release are much easier to pop out that those from the first release.  The windows from the first release are very hard to get out, whether the decorated or undecorated models.  Check the Rapido webiste to determine which cars are first-run and which are subsequent-run.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +2879
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2021, 04:55:47 PM »
Hard to believe that these were released 5 years ago!  Wow!

I did a quick review of them in https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=39605 and looking at the photo of the inside of the shell it does appear that (in the initial release which I reviewed) the window strips were glued in.
. . . 42 . . .

nickelplate759

• Crew
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2021, 04:56:11 PM »
Who brought this back from the archives??

The windows in the second and third release are much easier to pop out that those from the first release.  The windows from the first release are very hard to get out, whether the decorated or undecorated models.  Check the Rapido webiste to determine which cars are first-run and which are subsequent-run.

I did.  I want to do an East Wind consist in the original Yellow, Silver and DGLE scheme.
George
NKPH&TS #3628

ncbqguy

• Crew
  • Respect: +267
« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2021, 08:51:48 PM »
+1
I’ve never dug into the details but I think an ACF CB&Q design diner that was built by and owned by Pullman for summer use on the Burlington and winter on the Florida trains was also used on and painted for the East Wind.  It was one of the three cars sold to the ACL (the other three went to the KCS).  I suppose the M-T  PRR diner would be a closer stand-in than the Rivarossi ATSF diner....
A neat train to model!
Charlie Vlk

nickelplate759

• Crew
« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2021, 09:24:41 PM »
there were 3 ACL diners in the East Wind pool that looked a LOT like the Micro-Trains PRR diner, except that they had large single pane windows in the dining room rather than dual-pane windows.  I'm debating whether to add a vertical muntin to each of the windows or splice in dual-pane windows from a paired-window coach.  I'm leaning toward trying to add the muntin first.     The other major difference was 5 kitchen windows on the ACL cars rather than 4 on the PRR - I may ignore that.        There was a 4th diner in the pool that was different.
George
NKPH&TS #3628