Author Topic: Protolanced Greenville & Northern Railway - GMU extension layout  (Read 1501 times)

packers#1

• Crew
  • Modern Shortline Modeler
  • Respect: +108
    • Unnamed Switching Layout
Re: Protolanced Greenville & Northern Railway - GMU extension layout
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2021, 09:55:37 AM »
@Ed Kapuscinski looks exactly like what I’m wanting to do, except my base plate would go up under the turnout. I might just scale it back. Since I’ve only got six turnouts to do and I don’t want to have to wait on Shapeways and more slide switches, I’ll give it a go with rolling my own, but should that fail thanks for the link to @Lemosteam ‘s parts!
Sawyer Berry
Clemson University graduate, c/o 2018

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +4439

General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.
Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +4258
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2021, 10:22:21 AM »
+1
@Ed Kapuscinski looks exactly like what I’m wanting to do, except my base plate would go up under the turnout. I might just scale it back. Since I’ve only got six turnouts to do and I don’t want to have to wait on Shapeways and more slide switches, I’ll give it a go with rolling my own, but should that fail thanks for the link to @Lemosteam ‘s parts!

In my experience the Atlas freight car box plastic was pretty perfect for the application. It's a pain to work with, but has the material properties you'll want.

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +1863
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2021, 06:20:57 PM »
Thanks for the plugs.

I also offer these. They are magnetic, and the magnet contact can be used to power a frog. You can use your fingers in the points to throw, or use the included switch machine that attaches to the throwbar.

http://www.keystonedetails.com/keystone-customs/2021/2/6/4-pk-n-scale-atlas-custom-line-magnetic-turnout-actuator-672tc

packers#1

• Crew
  • Modern Shortline Modeler
  • Respect: +108
    • Unnamed Switching Layout
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2021, 09:48:43 PM »
+5
Got everything wired the weekend before Thanksgiving, and man did I forget a lot from the last layout I built  :facepalm: oh well, it’s been built and I’ll do better on the next one. Everything runs though! However, I came to an impasse in that I need the extension off the end built. But I haven’t made much progress to even ask what I should do because for Thanksgiving I went back home with Bridget for the holiday, and it’s the best season down here to be outside, so Sunday we finally took advantage of the good weather and not being busy for a change to go for a hike at Paris Mountain, where I PROPOSED and she said YES! So YAY! So needless to say, after getting everything wired I haven’t done much else.

Now, on to the impasse. I’m stuck on whether to just add a temporary bit of wood off the end to lay some track down on to make the run around usable, or do I go ahead and build a shelf to build up some more scenery on. Specifically I want to do a bridge scene and a block of stores and homes. Picture below of the space; I’m leaning towards just throw the wood up and focus on the layout first, then add those scenic elements once I’ve made more progress on the layout.

Sawyer Berry
Clemson University graduate, c/o 2018

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2021, 10:14:26 PM »
+1
so Sunday we finally took advantage of the good weather and not being busy for a change to go for a hike at Paris Mountain, where I PROPOSED and she said YES! So YAY!

Congratulations!

DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2021, 10:16:30 PM »
+1
Now, on to the impasse. I’m stuck on whether to just add a temporary bit of wood off the end to lay some track down on to make the run around usable, or do I go ahead and build a shelf to build up some more scenery on. Specifically I want to do a bridge scene and a block of stores and homes. Picture below of the space; I’m leaning towards just throw the wood up and focus on the layout first, then add those scenic elements once I’ve made more progress on the layout.

I believe you answered your own question.  That’s what I would do, too.

Hope this helps,
DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!