Author Topic: Effin' Kalmbach  (Read 5785 times)

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
Effin' Kalmbach
« on: September 02, 2021, 03:12:11 AM »
I tried to use my 2011ish copy of Kalmbach's DVD-ROM set of Model Railroader 75 Year Collection a couple months ago.  I was reminded that the Adobe software required to access all of the back issues on these discs is discontinued.  Same with the Trains collection and another Kalmbach disc set.  And each PDf file is password protected...  Kalmbach has never responded to a request for problem solving on this issue (provide a software workaround, provide a modern replacement product, or provide me with the password(s) to access the individual PDF files) but all I have gotten from it is crickets.

Any ideas, other than installing the unstable, old Adobe software?
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
Re: Effin' Kalmbach
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2021, 03:32:18 AM »
They might have DMR- Digital Media Rights. One of the first e-books I got from Morning Sun had this and needed something special to open. I found a program that stripped the DMR from the PDF and it worked. All later e-books from Morning Sun didn't have DMR.

https://www.filelem.com/adobe-digital-editions-drm-removal/
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 03:34:46 AM by Chris333 »

PJPickard

• Crew
  • Respect: +27
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2021, 06:55:01 AM »
I have the exact same issue with the same DVD set. And they never respond.

Wolf N Works

• Crew
  • Respect: +64
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2021, 09:09:43 AM »
If someone would like to send me a PDF file I would be glad to try to assist with gaining access to them.

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +1766
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2021, 09:40:16 AM »
modelers and hackers.

What a great forum.
 :trollface:
Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2021, 10:13:34 AM »
...Any ideas, other than installing the unstable, old Adobe software?

Yes. Start buying-up estate collections of the paper originals. There are going to be plenty of these coming available in the next 15-20 years, if the decedents' families understand there is significant value in the stacks and stacks of "old train magazines".

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2021, 10:19:32 AM »
+1
For what it's worth, the newer versions of the DVD's do not have the DRM on them.  I have a copy of the 2010-2019 MR Update DVD and the MRP (Model Railroad Planning) 1995-2019 DVD and have copied the individual PDF files to my Mac and to my iPad with no problems.  It is only the older DVD created around 2009 that have the problem.
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +989
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2021, 11:48:51 AM »
Install it on an old PC with Adobe and print each issue to pdf with the Microsoft document writer...

Pain in the butt, but now I have the whole thing in pdf form...
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

JMaurer1

• Crew
  • Respect: +292
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2021, 12:05:30 PM »
Hey, not all model railroaders are hackers and not all hackers are model railroaders, but let me know if I can help. What Chris333 said is a pretty good way to take care of the problem  :D
Sacramento Valley NRail and NTrak
We're always looking for new members

timwatson

• Crew
  • Respect: +238
    • N Scale Rail
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2021, 02:28:30 PM »
One of the ways I’ve restored my access to that DVD set is to install VirtualBox (free) virtualization software and install a mac or windows os that is the last known working version. Then install the dvd software on the virtual disk image. Lots of youtube videos on the process of getting an image up and running. The best part has been I don’t need to worry about upgrading my machine and it breaking it. The virtual machine is always stuck at the version you installed making the DVD set evergreen.
Tim Watson
My pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nscalerail/sets/

Technology, new ideas and model railroading.

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2021, 02:33:54 PM »
+1
The virtual machine is always stuck at the version you installed making the DVD set evergreen.

You can also disable network access to the VM, (1) for security; and (2) so that it doesn't go around looking to update itself.

Ed

MetroRedLine

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
    • Union Pacific Vallealmar Subdivision (Facebook Page)
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2021, 04:06:31 PM »
+1
modelers and hackers.

What a great forum.
 :trollface:

I mean...isn't kitbashing and superdetailing a form of hacking?  :D
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 07:24:26 PM by MetroRedLine »
Under the streets of Los Angeles

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2021, 05:37:17 PM »
For what it's worth, the newer versions of the DVD's do not have the DRM on them.  I have a copy of the 2010-2019 MR Update DVD and the MRP (Model Railroad Planning) 1995-2019 DVD and have copied the individual PDF files to my Mac and to my iPad with no problems.  It is only the older DVD created around 2009 that have the problem.

Yea, I just bought a new DVD from Kalmbach that did not have the issue (the Adobe software died out before it was issued).  My chief complaint is about Kalmbach customer service ignoring the hard questions, and about the original product design/marketing; as nowhere on the product, product case, or even old marketing materials does it mention that the Adobe software is a requirement, hence it should not be a factor. 

I realize digital publications are relatively new as a 'thing' back then and, a little, still subject to some growing pains as standards develop, but customer service is not an old thing and, as PJPickard pointed out, I am not the only one bitching about this.  The fact that Kalmbach is not continuing to sell the product in an upgraded format is kinda hinky too.  There's a lot of good information in those old issues and new issues are running many times more $ than when I started reading it and are only 60 to 80 pages a piece these days.  And Kalmbach is the king of recycling old articles, so it's perplexing.  If they upgraded the product, they could sell more of them, and cutting updated, working copies for us complacent early adapters would cost only pennies.

I have a Windows machine but am quickly turning over to Linux (2 of the 3 computers in the house are Linux and I am working on a Raspberry-based media server).  Supposedly, Calibre has a DRM de-capacitor but, if that doesn't work, I'll have to try something else.  I have been meaning to try the virtual Windows thing too.  The issue there is de-DRMing each of the thousands of back issues will take me forever.  If I have to do that, as payback for Kalmbach's poor customer service, I may just post them as torrents for free download.

Now if only RMC would digitize its library...
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2021, 05:55:23 PM »

Yea, I just bought a new DVD from Kalmbach that did not have the issue (the Adobe software died out before it was issued).  My chief complaint is about Kalmbach customer service ignoring the hard questions, and about the original product design/marketing; as nowhere on the product, product case, or even old marketing materials does it mention that the Adobe software is a requirement, hence it should not be a factor. 

Yes, not meaning to lessen the fact that Kalmbach's customer service in this area has been pretty poor.  And it's not like nobody is complaining.  There have been a ton of complaints in many places, even on the MR forums - which a lot were then deleted or threads locked.  Another bad customer service position.

I realize digital publications are relatively new as a 'thing' back then and, a little, still subject to some growing pains as standards develop, but customer service is not an old thing and, as PJPickard pointed out, I am not the only one bitching about this.  The fact that Kalmbach is not continuing to sell the product in an upgraded format is kinda hinky too.  There's a lot of good information in those old issues and new issues are running many times more $ than when I started reading it and are only 60 to 80 pages a piece these days.  And Kalmbach is the king of recycling old articles, so it's perplexing.  If they upgraded the product, they could sell more of them, and cutting updated, working copies for us complacent early adapters would cost only pennies.

Bleeding edge (sort of) for the times, the times then passed it by.  Though it sucks and would be a form of double payment, I have found that by joining the Trains "Unlimited Digital Membership" that you can download PDF of every issue, not only of MR, but Trains, Classic Trains, Garden Railroading, etc.  I missed out on the big DVD which you are having problems with so getting the back issues in that method is what I am doing.  When I think of it I find I can download 2 or 3 years worth in about 10 minutes.  I just have to keep it up.  It should be possible to get the whole back issue selection within one year's subscription time.

I have a Windows machine but am quickly turning over to Linux (2 of the 3 computers in the house are Linux and I am working on a Raspberry-based media server).  Supposedly, Calibre has a DRM de-capacitor but, if that doesn't work, I'll have to try something else.  I have been meaning to try the virtual Windows thing too.  The issue there is de-DRMing each of the thousands of back issues will take me forever.  If I have to do that, as payback for Kalmbach's poor customer service, I may just post them as torrents for free download.

I use Calibre for ebooks.  I have a Kobo eReader and buy from them mostly, but when I need to I buy Amazon.  Calibre will de-DRM the Amazon Kindle format up to a certain point.  It also works on Adobe Digital Editions.

Now if only RMC would digitize its library...

Yes!!! I wish.  Kirk Redde and N Scale Railroading back issues as well.

John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2021, 06:12:40 PM »
Calibre is what I used, but I only needed it one time for one file.