Author Topic: Best Of The Stephenson Rocket  (Read 14739 times)

NtheBasement

• Crew
  • Respect: +287
    • Moving coal in N scale
Re: The Stephenson Rocket
« Reply #105 on: November 23, 2021, 06:01:42 PM »
Very cool, you've gotta be pleased.  I would have gone nuts long ago.

Could you get some place to make the printed parts out of sintered metal?  That would add a few grams.
Moving coal the old way: https://youtu.be/RWJVt4r_pgc
Moving coal the new way: https://youtu.be/sN25ncLMI8k

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #106 on: November 23, 2021, 06:05:31 PM »
+1
WOW!
. . . 42 . . .

NDave

• Crew
  • Respect: +33
« Reply #107 on: November 23, 2021, 07:05:31 PM »
Oh yeah... the speed range is very good.  Top end  is barely 20 mph.  I have been working on it since I took this video.
I can run it under 5 mph.  The pickup is the killer.  If I can get some more weight into the boiler, I think I will be able to
make it crawl without it stalling for lack of more pickup.
Don't know that you could fashion engineer and fireman from tungsten... but lead should be possible. Engineer on the rear platform of the loco, fireman on the tender. Might help put just a little more weight on the wheels... Maybe even a couple railroad execs in top hats along for a ride-along, sitting on the water barrel of the tender.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 07:09:33 PM by NDave »

TVRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #108 on: November 23, 2021, 08:17:16 PM »
That is the most amazing thing that I've ever seen in a small (tiny) loco. Your abilities and ingenuity continue to astound!
Modeling Southern and N&W in the southeast.

Angus Shops

• Crew
  • Respect: +256
« Reply #109 on: November 23, 2021, 08:33:03 PM »
And it looks fabulous as well. Amazing work. Not surprised in the least given the builder.

glakedylan

• Crew
  • Give Respect. Expect Respect.
  • Respect: +234
    • Justice Kindness Humbleness —Micah 6.8
« Reply #110 on: November 24, 2021, 01:43:52 AM »
yes . . . wow! wonderful.

sincerely
Gary
PRRT&HS #9304 | PHILLY CHAPTER #2384

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1326
« Reply #111 on: November 24, 2021, 01:52:44 AM »
Beautiful.  Another reminder of 50 years ago, when the "experts" said N scale would never be a true "modeler's scale".  At least some of those experts have lived to see how wrong they were!

Carter: I have a "very pointed and short handled shovel" in my Chevy Aveo, in case I need to shovel it out in the winter.  It was sold as an "entrenching tool", but would work fine for a job like firing the Rocket.  It might be three feet long, with a "loop" handle, and the blade is 6 to 8 inches wide.

Yes, a few winters back, I did use it, coming home from work.  I hit a slick spot on an overpass, at about 20 mph, and slid into the plowed snow against the side of the bridge.  No damage, and not really stuck, but the road was too slick to get enough traction to power out.  The right front wheel was stuck, and the left just spun.  That little shovel worked fine, and I doubt a bigger one would have been any better, in the confined space under the car.
N Kalanaga
Be well

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #112 on: November 24, 2021, 01:55:34 AM »
Beautiful.  Another reminder of 50 years ago, when the "experts" said N scale would never be a true "modeler's scale".  At least some of those experts have lived to see how wrong they were!

Eh, those "experts" would still turn their nose ad Max's wonderful miniatures.  They would probably say that all the fine details are too small to see.
. . . 42 . . .

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7962
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #113 on: November 24, 2021, 09:09:32 AM »
Just a quick update.

It runs!
https://youtu.be/9MXj4WUvGT4

I am working on it to make the motion more uniform and the pickup more reliable.  But this is one hurdle.
And as shown in the video, it is quite capable of pulling (pushing) the two coaches I bought for it.

Yeah, I had to cheat with that coal load, but there will have to be compromises simply dictated by the sheer tiny size of this thing.

Holy *****.

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1779
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #114 on: November 24, 2021, 03:12:52 PM »
Holy *****.

LOL!  I said that many times while I've been working on it.... without the "Holy" part.  :trollface:

My only regret is that the shells are Shapeways plastic.  Not gonna lie.  I'm no fan.  It's brittle, and compared to
brass or injection styrene, it's miserable stuff to work with. 

nkalanaga

• Crew
« Reply #115 on: November 24, 2021, 03:24:36 PM »
"They would probably say that all the fine details are too small to see."
That's what magnifying glasses and cameras are for!

Like the On3 modeler years ago that carved a sink plug from a pencil eraser for his caboose, when nobody could see inside, except through the windows?  Great modeling, but, really, what's the point?  It doesn't run any better, and it can't be seen.

But HE knows it's there, which is all that really matters.  Better than the person who finished his stock car with a chunk of real sheep manure!

N Kalanaga
Be well

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +562
« Reply #116 on: November 24, 2021, 04:47:07 PM »

Like the On3 modeler years ago that carved a sink plug from a pencil eraser for his caboose, when nobody could see inside, except through the windows?  Great modeling, but, really, what's the point?  It doesn't run any better, and it can't be seen.

But HE knows it's there, which is all that really matters.  Better than the person who finished his stock car with a chunk of real sheep manure!

Reminds me of the 1960s vintage "lady in the shower" that Walthers used to sell for its HO passenger car interiors. If you aren't even supposed to see it, why model it?

But, I can still see rivets and wire grabs on N scale cars (when I have my glasses on, anyway).  I may not notice the molded on stuff in a train passing by at speed.  But, when switching, I even notice the parts that I have broken, already.  :facepalm:

SD452XR

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #117 on: November 24, 2021, 05:28:23 PM »
When are you putting a sound decoder in there?  :P Amazing job

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #118 on: November 24, 2021, 06:54:04 PM »

My point was that those old larger-scale curmudgeons will never recognize N scale as anything but a toy scale. Even if shown models like what Max builds, they will find an excuse to dismiss them.
. . . 42 . . .

nkalanaga

• Crew
« Reply #119 on: November 25, 2021, 01:53:14 AM »
Peteski: True, unfortunate, but true.  There are those with unchangeable biases in every field.
N Kalanaga
Be well