Author Topic: Passenger Car of curious provenance  (Read 2067 times)

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +531
Re: Passenger Car of curious provenance
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2021, 05:27:40 PM »
Would anyone here consider they would be an ok starting point for kitbashing say a PRR P70 with proper sides etc if price was no object?

The Lima coach is a P70 (with the wrong trucks). That'd be your best starting point.  ;)

@Lemosteam

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2021, 05:42:56 PM »
I note that about half of my cars are labeled "Lima  Italy" and the other half are are labeled "Hong Kong".  Was all Chinese manufacturing done in Hong Kong, or are there also some labeled "made in China"? The British governed Hong Kong until 1997, and I think production had moved there well before that date.  Of course, the production may have stayed in the same factory after the shift in government.  But it does lead me to there may be 3 sets of tooling.

Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2021, 05:56:07 PM »
I was kinda hoping I could use these for kitbashing but when I look at the price it might not be worth it. Would anyone here consider they would be an ok starting point for kitbashing say a PRR P70 with proper sides etc if price was no object? I guess using them as a core.

You can do a credible model P70 from the Lima (I would not use the China versions), and some additional details from Keystone Details http://www.keystonedetails.com/ .  There is also a company called PRR-parts http://www.prr-parts.com/index.html that makes some sides and other parts for modernized versions - those are old fashioned sides with masking tape over the window area of a clear sheet- NOT an etched brass or laser cut side (unless they are doing things differently).  (note- I haven't bought anything from prr-parts recently, but website looks like they are still in business).

And while I am all in favor of building cars from kits/scratch/old cars, you might also take a look at the Broadway Ltd. RTR P70s- which may not be that much more expensive than all the cores, parts, paint and decals (to say nothing of your time) if what you want are standard P70s.
Tom D.

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2021, 07:38:20 PM »
Yeah, I'd suggest just buying a BLI P70. They are exactly prototypical, with correct underbody parts (like A/C), the right font, decent trucks, and with MTL compatible couplers. They're easily equal in price to buying old cars, decals, paint, couplers, steps, roof vents, trucks and the time and effort needed to build an almost-sorta version of a P70. The Lima cars also have a deep groove down the side that can't be filled in seamlessly.

BTW, looking at the VGN plans the BMP-1 looks exactly like the Pennsy car of the same type.

nscalbitz

• Crew
  • Respect: +48
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2021, 07:49:02 PM »
>>While not very clear (dark), judging by the trucks, those might be the Chinese Model Power knockoffs of Lima coaches

Thats what I would have said too.
d

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +992
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2021, 09:59:37 AM »
PRR-Parts is definitely still open.    http://www.prr-parts.com/index.html
I just ordered a set of P70kR sides from them.

The sides are really the old East Wind parts - so just flat laser-cut acrylic.  No belt rail, no rivets.  For what I want that's OK.

PRR-Parts also has some cast-resin detail parts for PRR-specific stuff.
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2021, 10:56:37 AM »

The sides are really the old East Wind parts - so just flat laser-cut acrylic.  No belt rail, no rivets.  For what I want that's OK.

Good to know they are still out there.  The variety of sides they offer can also be useful for modeling cars of other roads that have similar window layouts.  I picked up some East Wind sides from the bargain bin at Des Plaines Hobbies 10 or 15 years ago, after (I assume) they had closed up shop. Used a set to do a never finished stand in C&EI lounge.  Also have had reasonably good luck with American Model Builder's sides, which are similar- essentially laser cut masking over clear acrylic.  The only issue I have is that after building up umpteen layers of paint and decal sealers, getting the masking off the windows without scratching paint is a chore.
Tom D.

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +992
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2021, 12:08:13 AM »

I just received four sets of P70kR sides - they appear to be old stock from East Wind, but it's also possible PRR-Parts has had more made.  Instruction sheet is the old East Wind instructions.  PRR Parts also sells water tank castings for the underframe, which of course I neglected to order  (Doh!)
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.