Author Topic: Scooooooooore!!!  (Read 2165 times)

Mike C

• Crew
  • Respect: +144
Re: Scooooooooore!!!
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2021, 06:35:42 PM »
 @ Hawghead You got it for a great price !  If I had not known you wanted it I probably would have jumped in in the last few seconds with a 250 bid . Gotta watch us snipers !  :D

Mike C

• Crew
  • Respect: +144
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2021, 07:46:29 PM »
  Here is a page that has almost every brass loco ever made , with the good the bad and the ugly for each locomotive . http://roundbell.com/ProvenConversions.html  . Also you can still get old parts from N.W.S.L. https://nwsl.com/pages/old-catalog-pages .

Hawghead

• Crew
  • Respect: +323
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2021, 10:52:38 AM »
Dave,

I think I'm gonna cool my jets on locomotive purchases for awhile, but when I think of the two undecorated C-19s I had and sold years ago I could kick myself.  The acquisition of the RGS 20 and 42 will give me a roster of three of the four K-27s, two of the three 2-8-0s and one of the three Ten wheelers on the property in 1928.  In addition, I have a gorgeous Iron Horse crown series C-21 I'm thinking of using as a stand-in for the Montezuma Lumber Company locomotive.  I know the C-21s were tested and rejected on the RGS but it's just to nice a locomotive to not use and I have seen some very sketchy evidence that they were used on one of the lumber branches.  That will give me a good sampling of locomotives on the Rio Grande Southern at the time I'm modeling though I will still try and find a good deal on one more of the Ten wheelers.

Mike,
I appreciate you not bidding against me, but a 250 bid would have left you a little shy  :trollface:  Thanks.

Scott
There's a prototype for everything.
If you can't make it perfect, make it adjustable.
DCC is not plug-n-play.

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8552
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2021, 12:21:54 PM »
One of the NMLC engines was, in fact, a C-19…former D&RGW 349, I believe.  FWIW, you’d want the older version with the fluted domes to model that one.  Of course post-wreck C-19 346 did her time under subsequent-NMLC owner Montezuma Lumber Company during the later years of the RGS.

Hawghead

• Crew
  • Respect: +323
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2021, 07:35:34 PM »
Dave,

Like I said the evidence for the C-21 is paper thin (literally).  I know they were tested and rejected on the RGS but there is a spread sheet floating around the net titled "Denver and Rio Grande (Western) Engines leased by the RGS or on an RGS branchline".  The line for D&RGW 361 is shown as "being leased or owned by logging road".  But now I'm thinking, did the NMLCo bring lumber down into Dolores or did the RGS go up to McPhee and bring it down?  If the later there would be no need for a NMLCo engine at all.

Scott
There's a prototype for everything.
If you can't make it perfect, make it adjustable.
DCC is not plug-n-play.

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8552
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2021, 08:32:06 PM »
Dave,

Like I said the evidence for the C-21 is paper thin (literally).  I know they were tested and rejected on the RGS but there is a spread sheet floating around the net titled "Denver and Rio Grande (Western) Engines leased by the RGS or on an RGS branchline".  The line for D&RGW 361 is shown as "being leased or owned by logging road".  But now I'm thinking, did the NMLCo bring lumber down into Dolores or did the RGS go up to McPhee and bring it down?  If the later there would be no need for a NMLCo engine at all.

Scott

Great question.  Those are the RGS Story books I don't have!  I feel like if you're willing to use a C-21, you can have it come into Dolores.  I do believe I read that at times the NMLC/MLC loco would bring the lumberjacks into Dolores in coach 311 on the weekends, so I figure they were capable of delivering lumber to the RGS versus requiring the RGS to run up to McPhee.

Interestingly I read also that the 360, 361, and 375 were intended for the RGS but when the C-21 derailed several times on the way to the RGS south of Montrose, the D&RG did the swap, and the RGS ended up with the engines that became 40, 41, and 42....figuring correctly that if the D&RG Ouray Branch wasn't in shape to handle the heavier, outside-framed 2-8-0s, the RGS certainly wasn't.  It fascinates me that K-27 2-8-2s, OTOH, did quite well on the RGS as early as the mid-1920s, suggesting that they were far more forgiving than the ex-Crystal River 2-8-0s.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2021, 05:36:57 AM »
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 06:07:46 AM by Chris333 »