Author Topic: Weekend Update 8/22/21  (Read 4639 times)

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +1360
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
Re: Weekend Update 8/22/21
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2021, 08:49:17 AM »
+7
I really have to admit I love a good sound unit in a steam locomotive.

That was Friday afternoon.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +4161
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2021, 11:55:23 AM »
+2
After a week of loading, driving and unloading the truck . We are moved to Maryland. Tomorrow I will measure my available layout space in the basement . Preliminary guess is none of my old layout will be used. Tommorow I will post more about the New possible options.

Maryland, eh?

I've heard it's full of   :ashat: 's.

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +972
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2021, 01:21:52 PM »
Three MOW projects have reached the point where they are ready for paint.

Well done Tim!  Those are superb!    8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Ed

TimF

• Crew
  • Respect: +53
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2021, 02:18:07 PM »
+4
Great modeling here, very nice work, especially Tim's MOW train...

On my layout Conrail is back!
I think, now there is less place in my enginehouse - just won them on eBay, one each from Atlas, Kato and Bachmann (hope the C40-8 runs better than the units from the very first run back in the 1990s).
Last month I could catch a Kato GP35 and a SD40... :facepalm:

« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 03:59:14 PM by TimF »

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +216
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2021, 03:36:57 PM »

Tim,

Do you have any pics of the prototype you can post?  I am really curious how the rail in the outside hangers is kept in place.
Emergency Manager (Noun)

1. A person who solves problems you can't.

2. One who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

See also: wizard, magician, miracle worker

Roger Holmes

• Crew
  • Respect: +296
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2021, 04:47:34 PM »
+20
I posted a photo of just the steps recently in my post titled, "In praise of Evergreen Styrene."

Here is an in progress view of the entire structure.  I am evoking Chicago's Art Institute on Michigan Avenue.  This is a modified CMR Union Station flat.  Actually it is two kits since the side wings are twice the length of the kit. I joined a right and left on each side.  The lowest level windows are actually supposed to be on the roof.  On the center section I scratch built the pediment on top and the upper tall windows were rounded at the top.  The real building had five arched doorways but the outer ones on each side were blanked off with wood years ago and the Chicago Historical Commission just gave permission to cover over the openings with matching Indiana limestone.

After looking at these photos I realized that the pedestal on the left front of the stairs is wonky and I have already removed it to re-work that corner.  Next paint, windows, flags and banners and a final touch the will confirm that this is the Art Institute even if it isn't an exact replica.

Best regards,

Roger

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.  Those who understand the binary system and those who don't.

LarryN

• Crew
  • Respect: +37
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2021, 04:55:51 PM »
+1
Folks, Regarding signal wire, I believe most of it is copper clad iron or steel. When the NYS&W abandoned their mail line west of Sparta Junction in NJ, we lived 1000 feel from the line and walked and biked it all the time. There were coils and coils of the discarded wire along the ROW, but it was magnetic, despite the green, copper  hue. Worth something, but not as much as copper. Some copper thieves do get surprised by energized wires....

Larry N

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +946
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2021, 06:19:22 PM »
+8

First I finished up painting a truck from a years ago vehicle kit bash challenge.

Then I painted up some cast resin Jersey barriers for one of my industries.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

TiogaTracks

• Crew
  • Respect: +136
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2021, 08:04:48 PM »
+5
So far so good adding decals to this Burlington LGB Centerflow hopper.  I’m repurposing a 1:29 decal set for a PS-2, so ignore the weights… they’re going to be weathered too much to read anyway!

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

This project started with a basket case of a car, and I did a lot to modify the ladders and raise the brake wheel to match the CB&Q LO-8 cars.  All the details are in my rehabs thread.

I also found the stock LGB Santa Fe Centerflow for a price I could afford.  Both cars need some serious weathering, but for now, it shows what the end of the CB&Q car used to look like.

-Steven
« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 09:03:52 PM by TiogaTracks »
Wellsville Addison & Galeton RR in 1:29
Still dabbling in N scale
Restoring a full size 1951 Brill bus

metalworkertom

• Crew
  • Respect: +59
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2021, 10:05:10 PM »
Maryland, eh?

I've heard it's full of   :ashat: 's.

Ed I heard they were all on the Western Shore. In my experience they are everywhere. I'm so far back in the woods in Worton that I'm not going to see many.

I have 20 feet by 64 inches on one end and more at the other. Quick sketch shows water heater , stairs and block wall. The rest of the basement will be Liz and my work area she does jewelry and glass while I do a variety of metal work.

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1323
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2021, 10:18:08 PM »
I love the Art Institute project, Roger.  Nice work.  I visited there myself many years ago.  Wonderful museum.

-- Max

I posted a photo of just the steps recently in my post titled, "In praise of Evergreen Styrene."

<... snip ...>
Here is an in progress view of the entire structure.  I am evoking Chicago's Art Institute on Michigan Avenue.

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +1813
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2021, 11:20:56 PM »
Tim,

Do you have any pics of the prototype you can post?  I am really curious how the rail in the outside hangers is kept in place.

Good Evening:

Here is the car I am building:

I have a much earlier photograph of the car which offers a close-up view of the rail holders but will need to get permission to post it.  There is a support under each rail jutting out from the car side, and between these is a perpendicular piece of flat stock which has been cut out to the profile of the rail.  The rail nests inside these at each support, and then outboard of that a large rod comes down through all the supports to secure the rails in place.

When the car was first converted in the 1950s it was built to carry 32 foot lengths of rail, and later modified to carry 39 foot lengths.  This entailed moving the slim bulkheads at each end out to the corners of the car.

The 3D technology was perfect for the rail clamps as they have just enough give for the rails to pop in and be held securely, and then pried out again.

I hope this answers your question.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +216
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2021, 12:57:19 AM »
Good Evening:

Here is the car I am building:

I have a much earlier photograph of the car which offers a close-up view of the rail holders but will need to get permission to post it.  There is a support under each rail jutting out from the car side, and between these is a perpendicular piece of flat stock which has been cut out to the profile of the rail.  The rail nests inside these at each support, and then outboard of that a large rod comes down through all the supports to secure the rails in place.

When the car was first converted in the 1950s it was built to carry 32 foot lengths of rail, and later modified to carry 39 foot lengths.  This entailed moving the slim bulkheads at each end out to the corners of the car.

The 3D technology was perfect for the rail clamps as they have just enough give for the rails to pop in and be held securely, and then pried out again.

I hope this answers your question.

Tim

Thanks, Tim.  If the other pic is post-able, that would be great, but this pic gives me what I need.  I imagined a rod locking the rail in, fitted with a cotter pic to keep it from jumping out of position.  It's an elegant solution and you've done a great job in modeling it, both cars.  I find your work, and the prototypes you model, inspirational.
Emergency Manager (Noun)

1. A person who solves problems you can't.

2. One who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

See also: wizard, magician, miracle worker

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +236
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2021, 05:26:57 AM »
+6
After much looking at old pictures, reworking the model, and dealing with details and painting my coal yard trestle is finally done. Not sure if I should give it a heavy coating of "coal dust' (weathering chalk) but I can install it on the layout. I need to custom-build the coal piles to fit the final dimensions of each bin, and the walkway needs ladder access, but the thing is FINISHED. Now comes making Model AA coal trucks out of the Alloy Forms pewter, and there's supposed to be some piping rigged to unload a fuel oil tanker but at least the scene will look finished.

The two end bins will be empty, probably for machinery storage.

This is the end not facing the layout edge. The deep bin is the underpass for the coal trucks to pass under -- the main part of the lot and the conveyors/loading area are in the area off the layout.

It's kinda free-lanced but you get the general idea.

bbunge

• Crew
  • Respect: +57
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2021, 09:20:07 AM »
+5
Put trucks under all the cars for a B&O relief train. The core is a Tichey Train Group wreck train + an extra boom car, plus a 40ft Atlas box, an old Trix tender and two 3D printed flats.  After some tuning to get them running in reasonable fashion, next will be adding loads followed by more weathering.  In my photo research, in real life, it appears B&O tended to use old passenger cars instead of converted boxes, but I like the look of them.

Bob