Author Topic: T-Trak corner module question  (Read 908 times)

ridinshotgun

• Crew
  • Respect: +64
T-Trak corner module question
« on: August 16, 2021, 07:40:48 PM »
So at some point in the past when dealing with corners in T-trak I thought we had a layout that had issues with outside corners used as inside corners and it throwing off the connecting legs of the layout by an inch or two.  IS this a problem anyone can shed light on?  I don't have any corner modules to check this so I need some thoughts from someone that can shed light on this.

Thanks!

pdx1955

• Crew
  • Respect: +337
Re: T-Trak corner module question
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2021, 09:16:40 PM »
Outside corners used as insides will have that problem with being out of alignment This will either require use of custom modules to bring things back into alignment  or just use the special  inside corner module kits.
Peter

"No one ever died because of a bad question, but bad assumptions can kill"

ridinshotgun

• Crew
  • Respect: +64
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2021, 09:20:59 PM »
Outside corners used as insides will have that problem with being out of alignment This will either require use of custom modules to bring things back into alignment  or just use the special  inside corner module kits.

Ok that is what I thought.  And I was trying to point this out to someone that was adamant it wouldn't cause an issue.

The only way that I know where this doesn't apply is to use the CMR corners that have the corners cut off and can be swapped for either inside or outside.

mmyers

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +47
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2021, 05:56:07 PM »
It changes alignment because even with the same radii, the placement of the track is different on the module. It is a wedge and using it as an inside corner spreads the adjoining modules apart.
Martin Myers

ksmiley

• Crew
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2021, 08:29:39 PM »
Hi,

I like to use this site as inspiration and to solve problems like you have.

Check this out for using a single Inside corner.

http://t-trakhandbook.com/TTrak.050000000/TTrak.050000000.htm?AAO#InOutCorners

Although if you look at the layouts you'll notice if you have 2 inside corners, they cancel out the mis alignment. Sort of like two puppies are better than one.

thanks,

arbomambo

• Crew
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2021, 07:18:29 PM »
  The issue you bring up, along with the argument is conditional.

“Throwing off the connecting legs of ‘the’ layout”…

The answer is ‘yes’ and ‘no’. It depends on ‘the layout’.
There is no ONE layout. T-TRAK layouts can consist of a simple oval, comprised of modules arranged back-to-back on a single table (pretty boring), to meandering layouts, comprised of single module rows, connected with actual balloon modules or ballons formed by loops formed with junction and corner modules, just like a FreeMo layout.
  We use inside corners as outside corners, fairly regularly, to form peninsulas off of a single module row ‘spine’, with no problems at all.

"STILL Thrilled to be in N scale!"

Bruce M. Arbo
CATT- Coastal Alabama T-TRAK
https://nationalt-traklayout.com/