Author Topic: Weekend Update 7/18/21  (Read 4244 times)

w neal

• Crew
  • Respect: +483
Re: Weekend Update 7/18/21
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2021, 08:32:26 PM »
+10
Workin on the railroad...

Buffering...

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4135
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2021, 11:11:51 PM »
+17
Almost finished the RBB&B Chevy personnel bus.  Waiting for turn-signal amber paint to arrive to paint front marker lights.  Also realized today that I forgot to install the side mirror, so that remains to be done.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 11:13:38 PM by bbussey »
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3461
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2021, 11:54:08 PM »
+7
This week was spent settling into the new apartment and finishing the clearing out of the old one.  Included in that latter task was removal of the brackets and standards which supported the layout.

These ones supported the yards at Chetwynd and Dawson Creek:

and these ones supported the East Pine River bridge and Tremblay siding:

The brackets and standards were all carefully measured in relation to each other and numbered, and then taken down:

After filling the holes and painting the room, all remaining evidence of the layout was gone:

On a positive note, today I received my eagerly awaited Lenz wireless system.  This comprises the LTM101 receiver and two LH101-R throttles which are virtually identical to the LH101 tethered throttles except for the battery pack at rear.  And if the batteries run out, the throttles can serve as tethered throttles:

With the last layout removal tasks now behind me, I can begin to focus my attention on planning for the installation here in the new apartment.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8454
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2021, 12:12:42 AM »
+20
Been working on the N scale Colorado Midland 2.0.  Much work remains to be done, but it's finally starting to look like something.

PacRail

• Crew
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2021, 11:22:39 AM »
Very nice. I love the skill and look of all your work.

Van Horne

• Crew
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2021, 06:11:18 PM »
This week was spent settling into the new apartment and finishing the clearing out of the old one.  Included in that latter task was removal of the brackets and standards which supported the layout.

These ones supported the yards at Chetwynd and Dawson Creek:

and these ones supported the East Pine River bridge and Tremblay siding:

The brackets and standards were all carefully measured in relation to each other and numbered, and then taken down:

After filling the holes and painting the room, all remaining evidence of the layout was gone:

Seeing the door wide open is so exciting!  You have worked fast getting this cleaned up and painted, Tim!

Dave

MDW

• Crew
  • Respect: +102
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2021, 06:26:04 PM »
Tim-
Amazingly, you’ve dismantled this layout with the same precision that you built it.   Just wanted to say that your posts here & website have been an inspiration & I can’t wait to see what comes next.
Michel

w neal

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2021, 06:42:41 PM »
+9
Better...

Buffering...

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1315
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2021, 12:29:37 AM »
W Neal:  To make it even better, you might want to add a modern "lube plate" to that GN hopper.  They were only a few years old when ACI labels appeared, and still looked almost new.  For one that weathered, it should be the late 70s, at least, and a mid-70s 2-panel lube plate would be appropriate.  Most kept their ACI labels until being repainted or retired, but by the time they looked that bad, the ACI system was no longer in use, so a missing plate isn't a problem.

The weathering looks good, for a car on its last legs.
N Kalanaga
Be well

mandealco

• Crew
  • Respect: +335
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2021, 03:52:08 AM »
Hi Tim
I'm interested in your method of construction.  What was the maximum depth of your shelf set-up?  It could be an option for a potential layout in our new house.
Cheers
Steve

w neal

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2021, 08:54:14 AM »
Thanks for the tips on the hopper. My improvements were much more mundane and environmental. I guess I should have left the same hopper in the picture. In some ways, my new modeling project is a subject on it's last legs indeed.
Buffering...

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +987
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2021, 10:19:30 AM »
Hi Tim
I'm interested in your method of construction.  What was the maximum depth of your shelf set-up?  It could be an option for a potential layout in our new house.
Cheers
Steve
@BCR 570 - I'm interested in learning more about your layout design and construction, as I will soon have a similar space to play in.  I know you had a whole thread on this way back when, but all the under-construction photos disappeared when Photobucket got a hole in it.

I recall it's 2 levels with a helix (or is it 2?), and I'm amazed that you could get a layout and 3 operators in such a small room.
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3461
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2021, 11:00:47 AM »
+3
Hi Tim
Cheers
Steve

@BCR 570 - I'm interested in learning more about your layout design and construction, as I will soon have a similar space to play in.  I know you had a whole thread on this way back when, but all the under-construction photos disappeared when Photobucket got a hole in it.

I recall it's 2 levels with a helix (or is it 2?), and I'm amazed that you could get a layout and 3 operators in such a small room.

Good Morning:

Thank you for your interest.  The layout is three levels:  a lower deck, an upper deck, and a top lighting valance/storage shelf. 
The sections for Chetwynd Yard are 24" deep, narrowing to 18" at the yard throat.
The sections for Dawson Creek are 18" deep and the lighting valance above is 24" deep.
The sections for Hwy 97 overpass and Pine River bridge are 24" deep, widening to 30" or so where they meet the helix.
The helix section is 36" wide to accommodate a 16" radius inside.  The lighting valance above matches the helix.
The sections for Tremblay siding are 12" wide and the lighting valance above is 24" deep, widening to 30" at yhe joint with the helix.
The sections for Septimus/Sundance, Kiskatinaw and lighting valance above are all 12" deep.

The sections were built from 5/8" plywood and were designed to sit level on the brackets.  As these have a 1/2" rise from rear to front, the rear stringer was made 1/2" deeper than the front one.

The layout design can be seen at my website on this page:  http://www.bcrdawsonsub.ca/index.php/layout-design
The layout construction can be seen on these pages:  http://www.bcrdawsonsub.ca/index.php/construction

The layout room was 11'-4" x 13'-0" and the space worked well with three operators and a dispatcher, even with a bed in the middle of the room.  Despite being a modest design, it yielded a considerable amount of operation.  The new space is 10'-2" x 15'-0" so a little narrower but 2'-0" longer, and will not need to accommodate a bed.  The wall which will accommodate the two yards has a 6" deep buildout near one end which complicates matters.  I have yet to start planning the re-install in detail as I have been focused on getting the other apartment ready for sale.

If there are any further questions please do not hesitate to ask!

Tim

T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

MVW

• Crew
  • Respect: +349
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2021, 11:04:32 AM »
+1
Nothing photo-worthy, but I picked up Digitrax's LNWI (LocoNet WiFi Interface). It's literally plug-and-play and works wonderfully in conjunction with my old Zephyr command station. I'm JFRTMing more often as a result.  :D

I use an Android phone, and like the app. My brother uses an iPhone, and I thought the app was rather clunky by comparison. (Although, to be fair, we were a few glasses into the Heaven's Door bourbon by then.)

Anyway, haven't explored the functionality of the app yet, but at this point I highly recommend the LNWI.

Jim