Author Topic: Wow, MTL are getting pretty good at this....  (Read 2087 times)

cjm413

• Crew
  • Respect: +145
Re: Wow, MTL are getting pretty good at this....
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2021, 04:29:42 PM »
+1
Unpopular opinion: I'd rather have a better decorated car than one where the ribs are the right ones (for a car that's not a star).

I don't know anything about Soo covered hoppers, but I DO know that a weathered Soo hopper will fill my need for "Upper Midwest hopper" very nicely.

For $49.95 (plus shipping, etc), you could learn about Soo covered hoppers and support a historical society (very popular opinion) :trollface:

https://store.sooline.org/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=367
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 04:35:01 PM by cjm413 »

cjm413

• Crew
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2021, 05:08:55 PM »
Ride height of the Evans car is good.

I haven't tried yet, but the new MTL 100-ton truck might work without affecting the ride height.  Atlas 100-ton trucks also are an option.  I've never gone to that extent, and instead simply swapped in 36" metal wheels and body-mounted the couplers.  The wheel diameter is more noticeable than the truck capacity.  In N scale at least.

I recall using Atlas 100T trucks on the ones I have, ride and coupler height were OK.

For any cars that I still have on "undersized" 50T or 70T trucks for a lack of enough 100T trucks to retrofit all of them (e.g. a good number of my Atlas 90T hoppers), I find that adding 36" larger wheelsets only draws more attention to the shorter wheelbase of a 50T or 70T truck than just leaving the 33" wheelsets alone

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +979
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2021, 05:18:20 PM »
+1
For $49.95 (plus shipping, etc), you could learn about Soo covered hoppers and support a historical society (very popular opinion) :trollface:

Awesome book, way better then comparable Morning Sun Volumes...
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

nscalbitz

• Crew
  • Respect: +48
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2021, 05:40:58 PM »
No matter how good, they still get trashed.... hmmm...

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2021, 05:47:21 PM »
+1
No matter how good, they still get trashed.... hmmm...

I don't think anyone's trashed anything so slow your roll a little bit.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1315
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2021, 02:03:47 AM »
MT 100-Ton trucks will work on the Evans hoppers, but it's close.  I have three of these cars, all have MT 100-T Barber trucks, ESM metal wheels, and 1015 couplers.

Two will take 18 inch radius curves with no problems.  The third had to have the hopper ends scraped because the wheel flanges hit them on anything except straight track.  Scrape a little plastic away and they work.

The couplers need a shim to sit at the right height.  I wanted to use 0.030 inch styrene, but the axles wouldn't clear the screw, even using a flathead screw.  0.020 inch works, and is close enough to the right height.  Again, two work fine, but the third (not the same one) scrapes somewhere on vertical curves.  Probably the coupler screw again, but I haven't been able to find which one.  It doesn't derail, and the sound isn't objectionable.  Real covered hoppers frequently make odd noises as well...

A 1025 coupler would probably work better, but there's no room for the coupler box, and it may not fit even if the end is removed, as the coupler itself might be too long.  I haven't tried.

For those still looking for 100-ton trucks with "standard" height bolsters, check to see if you have any of the old MDC/Roundhouse roller bearing trucks.  These have a noticeably longer wheelbase than most 70-ton trucks, and a raised ring on top of the bolster.  Remove the ring, add ESM (or MT plastic) 36 inch wheels, and you have 100-ton trucks that still have the standard bolster height.  I don't know if it was planned, but that ring just matches the difference in height with the new wheels.  On some cars, you might need to make a 0.010 inch styrene washer to go UNDER the bolster, between the truck and the head of the pin, to keep the car from rocking.

Many years ago MDC sold these trucks as parts, each piece a separate part.  I bought a bunch of frames and pins, as the wheels were junk, and I cut the Rapido boxes off.  I used Precision Masters plastic wheels, and body mounted couplers, saving a lot of money over MT completed trucks.  Most of these ended up under 100-ton cars, because of the longer wheelbase.  Once 36 inch wheels became available, it was easy to make the conversion, and most of my covered hoppers have these.
N Kalanaga
Be well

w neal

• Crew
  • Respect: +483
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2021, 06:16:00 AM »

THIS!!!!
Buffering...