Author Topic: Mystery Kit - Looking for Windows  (Read 2098 times)

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
Re: Mystery Kit - Looking for Windows
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2021, 07:03:06 AM »
+1
"More interesting"?  Neah.  Cheaper looking.

We will just disagree.  To me the plain rectangular retrofitted windows show that there is no more craftsmanship and attention to details as it is more difficult to produce windows with arched top.  Like many things in today's world, it windows got cheapened. It is all about maximizing profits (for the contractor renovating the building, or for the owner). We just see things differently.

There are also old homes with turrets that have curved windows (with curved glass) which follow the curvature of the wall. That was the old-world craftsmanship. Those get replaced with standard flat windows. Cheap, cheap, cheap.

Your interest is in a model that represents craftsmanship. And there's nothing wrong with that--it's what appeals to you, and that's fine. My interest is in a model's fidelity to the prototype. If the real building uses cheaper-looking replacement windows, then so will my model. And the reason I find it more interesting is that it gives a model some history, a sense that it has gone through change. It has nothing to do with visual appeal of the structure itself. It's why I also like filled-in windows--that building has been around for some time.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8034
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2021, 10:12:58 AM »
This reminds me, have you guys read "How Buildings Learn"?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_Buildings_Learn

If not, I highly recommend adding it to your reading list. If for no other reason than its interesting subject matter.

haasmarc

• Crew
  • Respect: +731
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2021, 10:57:56 AM »

DKS, where did the stone walls come from?
Marc Haas
Keeping the Reading alive in N scale!

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2021, 11:02:32 AM »
There's a lot you can do with these kits. Here are some examples. Notice some have no windows, but still have a lot of character.

Outstanding! Inspirational kitbashing here (I included one, but I mean each one of them).  8)

Mark

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2021, 01:41:43 PM »
DKS, where did the stone walls come from?

Pola B210 Stone Enginehouse

Also Atlas

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4611
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2021, 03:25:02 PM »
+1
Your interest is in a model that represents craftsmanship. And there's nothing wrong with that--it's what appeals to you, and that's fine. My interest is in a model's fidelity to the prototype. If the real building uses cheaper-looking replacement windows, then so will my model. And the reason I find it more interesting is that it gives a model some history, a sense that it has gone through change. It has nothing to do with visual appeal of the structure itself. It's why I also like filled-in windows--that building has been around for some time.

That is all true, however there is another angle to consider.  If the modeled period was close to when this type of a building was new (or even few decades later), it would sill have its original windows.

Ed:  thanks for the link - that is interesting information. BBC does produce some of the best educational programs and documentaries (which often end up shown on PBS).
. . . 42 . . .

joelm

• Crew
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2021, 03:56:02 PM »
+1
Hi Gents: Despite Old East RR's comment, I'm not a "newbie". I've been in N scale since the early 70's. I just had a question that I thought this group could answer for me. This forum has some of the most knowledgeable N Scale modelers I've run into, and a couple of the members are part of my regular operating crew. So it's a great resource for old heads and newbie's alike, and I plan on continuing to mine it for the gold that it contains! 

Thanks gents. Joel

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2021, 04:41:47 PM »
That is all true, however there is another angle to consider.  If the modeled period was close to when this type of a building was new (or even few decades later), it would sill have its original windows.

Granted.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8034
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2021, 08:04:57 AM »

Ed:  thanks for the link - that is interesting information. BBC does produce some of the best educational programs and documentaries (which often end up shown on PBS).

Oh yeah.

They book is great too. I had to read it in college.