Author Topic: Digitrax DS52: enough oomf for two machines per address?  (Read 1596 times)

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8045
    • Conrail 1285
Digitrax DS52: enough oomf for two machines per address?
« on: June 26, 2021, 05:31:16 PM »
Planning out CP Loucks on my layout I realized I have three switches but one set is crossovers that should have the same address.

I'm trying to determine if the digitrax DS52 puts out enough power through each "channel" to throw two tortoises if I hook them up to the same terminals.

Anyone have experience or insight doing this?

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2897
Re: Digitrax DS52: enough oomf for two machines per address?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2021, 06:20:03 PM »
+1
Planning out CP Loucks on my layout I realized I have three switches but one set is crossovers that should have the same address.

I'm trying to determine if the digitrax DS52 puts out enough power through each "channel" to throw two tortoises if I hook them up to the same terminals.

Anyone have experience or insight doing this?

It should work . the tortoise might run a little slower ---   why don't you build a linkage system .. 

/>

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2021, 01:32:25 PM »
I thought about it, but I realized I don't want to deal with it. It's easier just to wire up another tortoise.

Thanks for the clarification.

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +416
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2021, 03:51:20 PM »
+1
The instruction sheet says you can put two 'slow motion' machines on one output. 
Wish they'd give you a VA spec so one can figure on one's own what they can do.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2021, 09:32:19 PM »
The instruction sheet says you can put two 'slow motion' machines on one output. 
Wish they'd give you a VA spec so one can figure on one's own what they can do.

Sweet. That's the confirmation I need.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4619
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2021, 11:13:56 PM »
+1
According to the specs I found on Tony's site, each machine (at 12V?) consumes 4mA while running,  and 15mA at stall.  So, 30mA for 2 machines. Even standard function outputs on standard DCC locomotive decoders would be able to handle that current. I imagine that a stationary decoder designed for operating switch machines, can safely handle 30mA (0.03A).

I'm not familiar with this decoder, so I looked up the manual.  I'm really surprised that the max. current is not specified, but since that decoder can handle the dual solenoid "snap" switch machines, it must be capable of handling the high current those require to operate (probably around couple of Amps!  You could likely safely hook up 10 tortoises (150mA) to that decoder.
. . . 42 . . .

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2021, 02:27:43 PM »
+1
According to the specs I found on Tony's site, each machine (at 12V?) consumes 4mA while running,  and 15mA at stall.  So, 30mA for 2 machines. Even standard function outputs on standard DCC locomotive decoders would be able to handle that current. I imagine that a stationary decoder designed for operating switch machines, can safely handle 30mA (0.03A).

I'm not familiar with this decoder, so I looked up the manual.  I'm really surprised that the max. current is not specified, but since that decoder can handle the dual solenoid "snap" switch machines, it must be capable of handling the high current those require to operate (probably around couple of Amps!  You could likely safely hook up 10 tortoises (150mA) to that decoder.

Well, since It's powered by track power, there should be plenty of power available

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2021, 03:15:51 PM »
+1
Well, since It's powered by track power, there should be plenty of power available

I think the question was whether the decoder's output transistors can handle the amperage, or will they smoke. At least that's how I interpreted it.
. . . 42 . . .

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2021, 06:04:22 PM »
+1
I think the question was whether the decoder's output transistors can handle the amperage, or will they smoke. At least that's how I interpreted it.

and I was refering to the power in ..

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2021, 05:56:53 PM »
Ed,
It can handle two. I used one to handle a crossover with two Tortoise machines. The switches were PECO's with the springs still in. I believe that would increase the current draw and the decoder still handles it.
Martin

Awesome. That's the exact scenario I need em for! Thanks Martin.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2021, 07:39:23 PM »
Ed,
It can handle two. I used one to handle a crossover with two Tortoise machines. The switches were PECO's with the springs still in. I believe that would increase the current draw and the decoder still handles it.
Martin

Actually Martin, the maximum current occurs not while throwing the switch, but when the motor stalls.  So regardless of how hard the switch machine works, the current will never exceed the stall current (of 15mA).
. . . 42 . . .

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2021, 04:33:03 AM »
Didn't mention that because I thought everyone knew it already.

The way you phrased your post to me seemed to indicate that the point's spring is something to worry about as it will increase the current draw of the switch machine while it is in motion. I simply pointed out that regardless of how much current is flowing through the switch machine while it is running, the absolute maximum will be consumed when the machine is actually stationary, at the end of the throw (stalled, but with the current flowing through the stalled motor).
. . . 42 . . .