Author Topic: Awesome... F***ing Awesome  (Read 5709 times)

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2897
Re: Awesome... F***ing Awome
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2021, 07:26:22 PM »
Welp... that's it. These are going in the trash. I'm done. I'm just done with all of this.

I think we used a newer version of the car with 4 rungs on the sides for initial measurments:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=46381
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2940304

But the ones I'm modeling are 3 rungs:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=185796

I haven't been this frustrated with my modeling since I took a rubber mallet to a GP40-2WL project in 2003.

A little nipper and file will take care of that extra grab ..

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2897
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2021, 07:31:04 PM »
+1
Lets watch the cursing please .. .

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +909
    • Ian does Model Railroad stuff on Youtube.
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2021, 07:45:31 PM »
A little nipper and file will take care of that extra grab ..

I assume they are add on wire.. so just leave 1 off and fill the hole, but I think the spacing is different between 2 versions are different..

Not sure if you have ever operated on a model railroad, but even in HO, I don't notice/focus on details that closely...

Details serve only 1 purpose....to break..

The forest didn't burn down because you noticed a broken branch on a tree.

~Ian

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
  • Respect: +1013
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2021, 08:38:13 PM »
+4
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Josh Surkosky

Here's a Clerihew about Ed. K.

Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
But mention his law
and you've pulled your last straw!

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
He asks excitedly "Did you say Ménage à Trois?"
No, I said "Ed's Law."

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +909
    • Ian does Model Railroad stuff on Youtube.
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2021, 08:52:00 PM »
BTW.. the 3 side rung car has 7 end ladder rungs, and the 4 side rung car has 8 end ladder rungs...

Ok... Now that I have time to sit down and look at A and B side photos of both versions of the car....

NAHX 550307 is a '3 Rung' car..
NAHX 550513 is a '4 Rung' car..

B End Left

B End Right

Here is what I can see
Stirrup Steps:
3 Rung has a single step.
4 Rung has 2 steps.

The Rungs:
3 Rungs has a grab iron on the sill (thicker sill), then 3 Rungs
4 Rung has no grab iron on the sill (thinner sill), then 4 Rungs.

Rung Placement:
On the 3 Rung, the first rung is at the top of the sill.
On the 4 Rung, the first Rung is roughly in the middle of the sill.
(by sill I mean flat vertical side before the curve of the hopper starts.)

End Ladders.
On Both cars, the side rungs are even with the end ladders.
However, due to the height and spacing of the rungs...
The 3 Rung Car has 7 ladder rungs above the sill with a grab iron at the sill.
The 4 Rung Car has 8 ladder rungs at/above the sill.
.. Although looking at the car overall, the ladder rung spacing seems to be roughly the same on both versions, the main difference is if the first rung is a rung or grab iron. 

Roof walkway supports.
On B End Right / Pipe Side:
Both cars have similar spacing of supports Thick-Thin-Thick, Ect, with the 'short support' gap on the RIGHT side just left of the outlet pipe.

ON the A End Right / Non Pipe Side:
Both cars have similar spacing of supports Thick-Thin-Thick, Ect, with the 'short support' gap on the LEFT side.

With all that, I'd say.. you have a usable product that 9 of 10 modelers won't notice the issue.
But looking at your kit, it appears you have both the rung and grab iron when you should have 1 or the other.

If you did a Rev-2, you could do a 3 rung kit with  a grab and and thicker end support. and a 4 rung kit with no grab and thinner end support.

Without knowing how the Walthers car is built exactly.. you could.
Flip the piping/floor 180 degrees and move the brake rigging to the opposite end.
or Flip the roof 180 degrees.

Assuming HO is the same as N.. they did get the roof bracket spacing correct on each side (only reversed 180 degrees from the brake rigging/pipping.)

That is what I can see that stands out with a bit of study.. I'm sure I'm missing things..

@Atlas Paul
When you run your PD cars.. see if you can flip the roof insert 180 degrees..  :D
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 09:52:19 PM by learmoia »

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +995
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2021, 09:58:36 PM »
Welp... that's it. These are going in the trash. I'm done. I'm just done with all of this.

I think we used a newer version of the car with 4 rungs on the sides for initial measurments:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=46381
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2940304

But the ones I'm modeling are 3 rungs:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=185796

I haven't been this frustrated with my modeling since I took a rubber mallet to a GP40-2WL project in 2003.

I really hope you are being at least somewhat ironic about that... I really didn't want to cause an issue and the model looks amazing...

There isn't a model in N scale that couldn't be picked apart... and I genuinely would  be happy if I had one turn out half as good...
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8052
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2021, 10:12:08 PM »
@daniel_leavitt2000 don't sweat it all my dude.

Those cars still look awesome.

And it's not like you melted an irreplaceable casting...   :|

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1250
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2021, 11:11:20 PM »
I really hope you are being at least somewhat ironic about that... I really didn't want to cause an issue and the model looks amazing...

There isn't a model in N scale that couldn't be picked apart... and I genuinely would  be happy if I had one turn out half as good...

I don't usually complain about screwing up, but sometimes things really get to me. I had been trying to get an upgrade kit for this car since about 2002 - so a 20 year quest. John did exemplary work. I really wanted to do his hard work justice on these.

The cars have a deep meaning to me as these were what I grew up with, running to meet the Wonder Bread local on the Saxonville branch when it passed my house for the switchback. I want them perfect. The fact that I totally missed how many rungs the specific cars I was modeling, or the walkway pattern really proves that I'm just not capable of serious modeling and have no business trying to make anything better. These are details that DKS, Tim Horton or Gary Hinshaw would have picked up on immediately.

There just is no way around it for me. These will always be compromised models. Always flawed.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2021, 12:51:34 AM »
+4
These are details that DKS... would have picked up on immediately.

Don't be too sure about that.

These will always be compromised models. Always flawed.

Just like us. So think of the cars as being "human." It's still exceptional work, even flawed as it is. You need to acknowledge this.

Had you not said anything, I'd place a very large wager no one would have noticed.

Your pursuit of perfection could be your undoing...

« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 01:06:55 AM by DKS »

dem34

• Crew
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +1088
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2021, 01:03:29 AM »
I don't usually complain about screwing up, but sometimes things really get to me. I had been trying to get an upgrade kit for this car since about 2002 - so a 20 year quest. John did exemplary work. I really wanted to do his hard work justice on these.

The cars have a deep meaning to me as these were what I grew up with, running to meet the Wonder Bread local on the Saxonville branch when it passed my house for the switchback. I want them perfect. The fact that I totally missed how many rungs the specific cars I was modeling, or the walkway pattern really proves that I'm just not capable of serious modeling and have no business trying to make anything better. These are details that DKS, Tim Horton or Gary Hinshaw would have picked up on immediately.

There just is no way around it for me. These will always be compromised models. Always flawed.

My guy. Step back, at the end of the day these are all minor details that can be easily corrected. Nobody here is going to drop all their respect for you because a stanchion was is off by an imperceptible margin or that its a mil too thick. Like look back at your own posts. I can't do custom engines, or full weathering jobs, or DCC installs like you. You were actually the one brave enough to see something you felt was wrong and present it here, despite how minor the issue actually is. I haven't posted anything lately, I'm not brave enough to show my stringy Scale HV Transmission tower, my cracked loco shells, my stack of burned CN-GPs. I don't see how this can lead you to conclude upon that closing statement.
-Al

NtheBasement

• Crew
  • Respect: +287
    • Moving coal in N scale
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2021, 08:09:27 AM »
+3
Personally I would be happy to have a car like that on my layout, but for the fact that it would make all my other rolling stock look like junk.
Moving coal the old way: https://youtu.be/RWJVt4r_pgc
Moving coal the new way: https://youtu.be/sN25ncLMI8k

CRL

• Crew
  • Needs More Dirt.
  • Respect: +626
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2021, 10:09:20 AM »
+1
Then God looked over all He had made, and He saw that it was very good…

He didn’t say perfect.

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8569
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2021, 10:30:37 AM »
I totally understanding being all up in your own head about something that others think is trivial. It isn't trivial to you.  Here's the thing, though.  The vast majority of us would have been content to run the Walthers cars as they came, with only a few brave souls like yourself willing to replace so much of the cars for scale fidelity.  You're already so far ahead of where a guy like me would have stopped.

As has been said, once these are in a moving train, you'll be surprised how little even the most knowledgable person can notice about them beyond the fact that they now have proper-thickness roofwalks and end cages.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8052
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2021, 10:43:27 AM »
+1
I also think it's worth thinking about what's really important to you about the cars.

Obviously, you have strong memories of them. But even those strong memories don't include the number of grab irons, so they're not something that that part of your brain stresses about. Is it possible to let that part of your brain win?

Well, only we can set our own standards for good enough.

Either way, I feel bad for ya man. I know the let down of a "failed project" sucks big time.

amato1969

• Crew
  • Respect: +831
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2021, 10:57:25 AM »
Indeed, they look so much better than stock (IMO).  I encourage you to consider "done is better than perfect".

Frank