Author Topic: Trainfest Milwaukee  (Read 584 times)

cec209

• Crew
  • Respect: +53
Trainfest Milwaukee
« on: June 14, 2021, 10:08:58 PM »
Just saw this on Facebook:

Trainfest - America's Largest Operating Model Railroad Show

Dear Friends,
I have some sad news to share. After a lengthy discussion The Board of Directors of the Wisconsin Southeastern Division of the NMRA has made the decision NOT to proceed with Trainfest this year. We really wanted to have Trainfest this year, however we think the risks are too great to hold the show in 2021. Trainfest is facing large challenges with the cost structure of the event and the number of volunteers it takes to put on the show. 
We are at a point where we should start spending money to put on the 2021 show. Money we cannot recover if the show has to be cancelled. Such a loss would place the 2022 show at risk.
It is too early to tell where the direction of the show will be 12 months from now.
Charlie

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
Re: Trainfest Milwaukee
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2021, 10:50:43 PM »
Just saw this on Facebook:

Trainfest - America's Largest Operating Model Railroad Show

Dear Friends,
I have some sad news to share. After a lengthy discussion The Board of Directors of the Wisconsin Southeastern Division of the NMRA has made the decision NOT to proceed with Trainfest this year. We really wanted to have Trainfest this year, however we think the risks are too great to hold the show in 2021. Trainfest is facing large challenges with the cost structure of the event and the number of volunteers it takes to put on the show. 
We are at a point where we should start spending money to put on the 2021 show. Money we cannot recover if the show has to be cancelled. Such a loss would place the 2022 show at risk.
It is too early to tell where the direction of the show will be 12 months from now.

I've still not had the chance to go to this show, haven't been in Wisconsin around T-Day in a long time, but I always love seeing the Modutrak videos and photos that seem to come from it.  The Board is making a respectable decision and, as an Emergency Manager, I tip my hat to them.  We're not out of the COVID woods yet, as much as we hope to be, and some states are still behind others.  A few positive cases milling around the show could vector at the holiday tables into a serious fourth or fifth wave in the Midwest and beyond of nasty proportions.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.