Author Topic: How to automate the entry and exit turnout of a reverse loop  (Read 3465 times)

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1779
    • Maxcow Online
Re: How to automate the entry and exit turnout of a reverse loop
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2021, 01:06:42 AM »
I like the video, nicely presented.  But I do have some trepidation.  Using brass wire was something I ruled out immediately because over time, brass does not hold its shape or tension the way steel or phosphor bronze do.  Since bronze is easy to solder, and since I was
fixing my spring wire in place with solder, that's what I chose.  If I were fastening the wire in place with a screw like Grant did, I would opt for steel, since it is even more stable.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 01:51:54 AM by mmagliaro »

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2021, 08:04:57 PM »
I’m a big fan of Grant and the SAR. Wow, what a railroad, and what an accomplished modeler! Stunning…
I should have spring switches in all “heading-out” siding conditions on my double track Cajon Pass layout, but I sort of gave up on the idea some time ago. Couldn’t make it work reliably. Maybe it’s time to revisit the idea…

Grant runs heavy, modern power, and heavier modern cars, so moving the points is less of a challenge. Me, like Max, run steam, and the pilot wheels or pony trucks on our steam locos don’t have anywhere near the heft of an AC-whatever. Nor do our 40’ cars weigh as much. So I’m looking at Max’s video with inspiration in mind…time to put the idea to another test (and I don’t even need no stinking switches, just a frog juicer. If I can make the the mechanicals work :|).
TBC, Otto

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2021, 08:51:38 PM »

Hope this helps,
DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer