Author Topic: Weekend Update 6/6/21  (Read 8293 times)

JMaurer1

• Crew
  • Respect: +292
Re: Weekend Update 6/6/21
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2021, 01:03:43 PM »
+1
At the risk of having my modeling labeled ‘amateur hour’ as someone here did my last post, here’s a couple more photos of scenes on my latest two T-TRAK junction modules...
  I still have a few details and weathering to do.

Unless you are getting paid to do this, then you ARE an amateur...a really good one that models some great scenes, but still an amateur  :D
Sacramento Valley NRail and NTrak
We're always looking for new members

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8034
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2021, 02:31:21 PM »
+3
Tried out my latest prototype of the K-Mount for slide switch control.

This one includes a fulcrum.

I did one more revision to build the "hook" that captures the throw wire in place, but I think I have achieved my goal.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

I'm trading a case of beer for 30 prints.

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2021, 09:02:07 PM »
Hi Otto, thanks for the feedback, the boiler as it stands seems to be 1mm too fat (going from scale drawings) , I think it would look better with 84 inch drivers, I plan to try Kato 4-8-4 drivers (78 inches) to see if that makes it look less fat. I could just make a brass boiler for it and graft in the sand dome. The width should be 94 1/2 inches,  I was using this model as a proof of concept just to see how it looked and to get feedback on whether it could be improved - which it can. I can get 84 inch drivers in spoke but not boxpok.

Hello back, kiwi, I’m glad you’re looking at an alternative to that thing. My Bachman boiler scales to 108” diameter, too fat even for the Northern. The brass tube maybe the way to go. One distinctive feature is that there’s not much of a taper on the 3460 class, see ATSF diagram below (I believe the diagram does not include about 1.5” of boiler cladding, so you should add about 3” to the diameter). The drivers…well that’s a tough one, only the Hiawatha loco has the proper driver and type and there’s no mech I know of that will accept those, even if you could find them. So your cut down KATO maybe the best bet.
Good luck with your build,
Otto

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2021, 11:06:44 PM »
Are you gentlemen forgetting @draskouasshat 's 3463, made with a cut down brass boiler, frame from a Model Power mogul and drivers from Fox Valley's Milwaukee Road Atlantic?
https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=44902.msg579927#msg579927

I've been thinking about trying to bash an old Con Cor Hudson into a 3450 rather than a 3461.  It looks much closer dimensionally.  And the Con Cor drivers are about 77"- pretty close when you allow for oversized flanges to the 79" of the prototype.  Given the number of projects I have, I'll be lucky to get started in this decade.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2021, 11:58:20 PM »
Considering the prices those Atlantics are going for thats an expensive Hudson!
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2021, 12:28:37 AM »
I think for a period of time some years ago, the drivers were available as parts. 

I'm still rather surprised, given the amount of effort, money, and other resources that folks have put into building and kitbashing various AT&SF Hudsons, still no manufacturer has risen to the challenge.  I thought the rule was that a manufactured version was supposed to be announced within 48 hours of the decals setting.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

kiwi_al

• Crew
  • Respect: +359
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2021, 05:22:09 AM »
Are you gentlemen forgetting @draskouasshat 's 3463, made with a cut down brass boiler, frame from a Model Power mogul and drivers from Fox Valley's Milwaukee Road Atlantic?
https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=44902.msg579927#msg579927

I've been thinking about trying to bash an old Con Cor Hudson into a 3450 rather than a 3461.  It looks much closer dimensionally.  And the Con Cor drivers are about 77"- pretty close when you allow for oversized flanges to the 79" of the prototype.  Given the number of projects I have, I'll be lucky to get started in this decade.

Yes I hadn't realised that Adam made a Hudson, I've seen some of his other models but not that one! I have 3450 Class on my list - it's a very long one. My Santa Fe diesel list is just as long perhaps longer!

kiwi_al

• Crew
  • Respect: +359
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2021, 05:29:13 AM »
Hello back, kiwi, I’m glad you’re looking at an alternative to that thing. My Bachman boiler scales to 108” diameter, too fat even for the Northern. The brass tube maybe the way to go. One distinctive feature is that there’s not much of a taper on the 3460 class, see ATSF diagram below (I believe the diagram does not include about 1.5” of boiler cladding, so you should add about 3” to the diameter). The drivers…well that’s a tough one, only the Hiawatha loco has the proper driver and type and there’s no mech I know of that will accept those, even if you could find them. So your cut down KATO maybe the best bet.
Good luck with your build,
Otto

Hi Otto,
I'm using the Steam Locomotives of the Santa Fe, A Former Shopman's Scrapbook as my main reference. If the Kato Drivers don't work out, I can get 13mm rims from the 2mm Society and make the centers. This will give me the prototypical size and look but I'll need to make  a custom brass mechanism for it.

TimF

• Crew
  • Respect: +75
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2021, 10:07:16 AM »
+9
I bought this beauty after I got my first vaccination...

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2021, 11:21:35 AM »
+3

Glad to hear you're getting vaccinated.  When you go back for the second vaccination, you might want to ask for a tetanus shot, so you can remain safe around that PC U-Boat.  :trollface:

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5409
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2021, 11:52:01 AM »

I did one more revision to build the "hook" that captures the throw wire in place, but I think I have achieved my goal.

(Attachment Link)

Hook that up with a fascia mounted pen clicker and you'll really have something!
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

railnerd

• Crew
  • Respect: +230
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2021, 06:25:08 PM »

(Attachment Link)

That is RFC (really cool)

-Dave

TiogaTracks

• Crew
  • Respect: +422
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2021, 07:33:16 PM »

Thumbs up on the vaccine.  And that’s one beautifully weathered and detailed U-Boat.  I’d have never guessed it was N except for the couplers. It beats my Large-scale PC U25b by a long shot!  Guess it’s time I try weathering mine...

-Steven

Wellsville Addison & Galeton RR in 1:29
Still dabbling in N scale
Restoring a full size 1951 Brill bus

chuck geiger

• Crew
  • Las Piedras Railroad - Destination Desert
  • Respect: +2427
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2021, 09:56:15 AM »
End of story - Arbo is a master with that venue of modeling!
Chuck Geiger
provencountrypd@gmail.com

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8034
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2021, 10:44:49 AM »
That is RFC (really cool)

-Dave

Do you have a printer? Want the file to try it out?