Author Topic: Weekend Update 6/6/21  (Read 8294 times)

TimF

• Crew
  • Respect: +75
Re: Weekend Update 6/6/21
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2021, 10:01:12 AM »
+6
Thumbs up on the vaccine.  And that’s one beautifully weathered and detailed U-Boat.  I’d have never guessed it was N except for the couplers. It beats my Large-scale PC U25b by a long shot!  Guess it’s time I try weathering mine...

-Steven

Hmm, another one will eventually come too...

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2021, 10:19:03 AM »
+1

Seeing your PC GP30 in the 2200-series reminded me of this photo, taken in December 2018 at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania, of our children aboard No. 2233 in Conrail paint.

Good times!

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

chuck geiger

• Crew
  • Las Piedras Railroad - Destination Desert
  • Respect: +2427
« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2021, 10:42:20 AM »
+1
That new wood smell - Heading to new house for the weekend. Stop at HOME DEPOT with shopping list
and working in train room/office/studio all weekend. Adding cleats to the top of the shelf brackets, using
1x4 cleats and front stringer. Getting Masonite for backdrop and fascia. I have a track plan and what will be
modeled, after extensive planning - Messing up and redoing was the planning. https://www.facebook.com/sanjacintodisctrict
*spelled weird by FB
Chuck Geiger
provencountrypd@gmail.com

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2021, 10:57:11 AM »
That new wood smell - Heading to new house for the weekend. Stop at HOME DEPOT with shopping list
and working in train room/office/studio all weekend. Adding cleats to the top of the shelf brackets, using
1x4 cleats and front stringer. Getting Masonite for backdrop and fascia. I have a track plan and what will be
modeled, after extensive planning - Messing up and redoing was the planning. https://www.facebook.com/sanjacintodisctrict
*spelled weird by FB

I worked at a lumber yard in high school.  I love that freshly cut, new lumber smell.  Keep us posted on your progress.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

chuck geiger

• Crew
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2021, 11:03:43 AM »
+1
Foxy always!
Chuck Geiger

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2021, 11:32:12 AM »
*spelled weird by FB

@chuck geiger , if I can offer one suggestion, it would be to make that transition to the west turnout in Hemet a little sooner so that the transition isn't so sharp.

Looking forward to your progress.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8039
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2021, 11:41:50 AM »

How did you do the PRR antenna bumps?

jjb62556

• Crew
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2021, 12:05:32 PM »
I drive by a small grove of pines with my tractor to the kid's house once a week..Love the smell of the pines!

TimF

• Crew
  • Respect: +75
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2021, 04:39:31 PM »
+1
Seeing your PC GP30 in the 2200-series reminded me of this photo, taken in December 2018 at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania, of our children aboard No. 2233 in Conrail paint.

Good times!

DFF

I have to wait until August, then 2233 will arrive on my shelf, custom painted & decaled...
Stay safe & healthy

THF

chuck geiger

• Crew
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2021, 09:30:17 AM »

@chuck geiger , if I can offer one suggestion, it would be to make that transition to the west turnout in Hemet a little sooner so that the transition isn't so sharp.

Will do....
Chuck Geiger

chuck geiger

• Crew
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2021, 08:35:45 PM »
+2

Better - There are some future sidings coming, like at Ellis, according to CLIC abandoned siding, gonna make a sugar beet siding, with portable loader....Those cool SP cars. Ellis or Romoland
is just East of Perris on the straight section. BTW first time I have ever used Any Rail.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 08:50:45 PM by chuck geiger »
Chuck Geiger

draskouasshat

• Crew
  • Respect: +641
« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2021, 11:41:15 PM »
+1
Are you gentlemen forgetting @draskouasshat 's 3463, made with a cut down brass boiler, frame from a Model Power mogul and drivers from Fox Valley's Milwaukee Road Atlantic?
https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=44902.msg579927#msg579927

I've been thinking about trying to bash an old Con Cor Hudson into a 3450 rather than a 3461.  It looks much closer dimensionally.  And the Con Cor drivers are about 77"- pretty close when you allow for oversized flanges to the 79" of the prototype.  Given the number of projects I have, I'll be lucky to get started in this decade.
Yup, there's absolutely no mech for those drivers to fit in :D! As you can see,  that's incorrect and the drivers fit in a model power 2-6-0 mogul mechanism.

Drasko
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Draskos Modelworks. Contact me for your 3D modeling needs!
SFM (Super Fleet Modeler) member #1
I HAVE 3800 class santa fe 2-10-2s!!

RRRover

• Crew
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2021, 11:01:48 AM »
Back in the '80s I used to live in Riverside and was active at the museum in Perris. Until the mid-1990s the old Winchester depot sat forlorn in a farmer's field about a mile east of the former location. Good luck on the project. Backgrounds will be tricky since most of the area is flat (except for a few rises east of Perris, and the hill in Perris).

Rrrover

Better - There are some future sidings coming, like at Ellis, according to CLIC abandoned siding, gonna make a sugar beet siding, with portable loader....Those cool SP cars. Ellis or Romoland
is just East of Perris on the straight section. BTW first time I have ever used Any Rail.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8039
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2021, 11:05:31 AM »
Heads up. Not sure if it'll make a difference, but you've got a bit of an S curve through the switch here that might be a problem.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

CRL

• Crew
  • Needs More Dirt.
  • Respect: +626
« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2021, 11:23:24 AM »
+2
Heads up. Not sure if it'll make a difference, but you've got a bit of an S curve through the switch here that might be a problem.

(Attachment Link)

This is a rather common mistake I see a lot of modelers make when they put a switch with the diverting route going in the direction opposite that of the preceding curve. However, you also see the prototype do the same thing except there’s usually a sufficient amount of straight track between the curve and the switch. The best way for a modeler to arrange the track is to use a switch with the diverging route acting as a continuation of the curve. This makes the diverging route the mainline and the straight route becomes the siding. The trains will transit this arrangement much easier and smoother, plus it gains a few valuable inches of space.

The track plan shown actually has 2 of these “S” curves.