Author Topic: Bachmann Alco 2-6-0 and 4-6-0 shell swap  (Read 731 times)

squirrelhunter

• Crew
  • Respect: +165
Bachmann Alco 2-6-0 and 4-6-0 shell swap
« on: June 04, 2021, 11:00:17 PM »
This is question is bit out of left field, but has anyone here tried to swap the boiler shell from one of the Bachmann Alco 2-6-0's on to the Bachmann 4-6-0 mechanism?

I'm asking because Missouri Pacific's Texas subsidiaries had a fair number of Alco built 4-6-0's with a boiler similar looking to the Bachmann Alco 2-6-0. So if the shells are a direct swap, or can be swapped with some (like some filing on the shell or frame is ok, but not trying to cut and splice a metal boiler) work, that would a big help on kitbashing one.

badlandnp

• Crew
  • Respect: +11
    • Badland N.P.
Re: Bachmann Alco 2-6-0 and 4-6-0 shell swap
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2021, 08:49:23 AM »
Haven't looked into this, but it shouldn't be too difficult. Both shells are plastic, and the 2-6-0 shell is larger than the 4-6-0 shell, which will be of worth when shifting it around to fit the details correctly. Interesting idea.
Northern Pacific in the Badlands, in N-scale of course!

NDave

• Crew
  • Respect: +33
Re: Bachmann Alco 2-6-0 and 4-6-0 shell swap
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2021, 09:50:02 AM »
Actually, both shells are metal (I have two 4-6-0s, and can confirm they are metal; Spookshow's review indicates the 2-6-0 shell is also metal)... which would make modification to the inside of the shell more problematic.

I looked back and forth numerous times at the images in Spookshow's reviews of the two models,  and can't really tell if the chassis would be interchangeable. The 4-6-0 chassis might have to be shortened some at the front, Also not sure if the steam pipes on the shell will align with the cylinders on the chassis... you will have to try it to find out. Unfortunately, Bachmann website lists NO spare parts for the 2-6-0... and I called them once to see if any were available, and they told me everything they had was on the website. So finding a 2-6-0 shell might require some patience...