Author Topic: Weekend Update 5/30/21  (Read 9479 times)

J_Von_Random

• Respect: +3
Re: Weekend Update 5/30/21
« Reply #90 on: June 02, 2021, 11:25:31 PM »
How strong / stable is HCD as benchwork?

Ok, obviously good enough for the traditional HCD designs, but I've never seen it used for "normal" benchwork. I'm considering using 80x18 HCDs instead of plywood, having plenty of behind the backdrop staging.

Van Horne

• Crew
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #91 on: June 03, 2021, 12:14:02 AM »
They are excellent for shelf layout benchwork.  Their rigidity is such that they can span 5 feet or so with no intermediate supports.

Dave

J_Von_Random

• Respect: +3
« Reply #92 on: June 03, 2021, 01:17:48 AM »
They are excellent for shelf layout benchwork.  Their rigidity is such that they can span 5 feet or so with no intermediate supports.

Dave
Number of supports is an angle I hadn't considered.

Much thinking to be done...

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +562
« Reply #93 on: June 03, 2021, 09:31:35 AM »
Just an added worry for those who attach their trackwork to walls: walls are also not perfectly stable.  The lumber behind them swells and contracts, and things shift over time, too.  Walls can bow outward or inward as well as have one end subside more than the other.

I have found his out by attaching things other than trackwork to my walls and living with those things for years.  But, I don't really know if they would affect trackwork, because I have never built any shelf layouts.

Does anybody have any negative experiences with wall instability affecting their shelf layouts?

CRL

• Crew
  • Needs More Dirt.
  • Respect: +626
« Reply #94 on: June 03, 2021, 03:23:46 PM »
How strong / stable is HCD as benchwork?

Ok, obviously good enough for the traditional HCD designs, but I've never seen it used for "normal" benchwork. I'm considering using 80x18 HCDs instead of plywood, having plenty of behind the backdrop staging.

I would urge caution when using HCD as benchwork. HCD’s are attractive because they’re cheap, but because they’re viewed as a cheap option, be aware the “cheap” HCD’s will sag badly if they are not supported more frequently than every 5 feet. Buy a good quality HCD if going this route and brace it or use stringers along the long edges. They also make it more difficult to mount switch machines if you intend to mount them under the shelf.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 03:25:18 PM by CRL »

signalmaintainer

• Crew
  • Respect: +237
« Reply #95 on: June 03, 2021, 05:20:16 PM »
+1
Just an added worry for those who attach their trackwork to walls: walls are also not perfectly stable.  The lumber behind them swells and contracts, and things shift over time, too.  Walls can bow outward or inward as well as have one end subside more than the other.

I have found his out by attaching things other than trackwork to my walls and living with those things for years.  But, I don't really know if they would affect trackwork, because I have never built any shelf layouts.

Does anybody have any negative experiences with wall instability affecting their shelf layouts?

None, not one. And that's over a couple decades. But I use quality materials not prone to misbehave.

And since you have no practical experience with shelf layouts, why would you even pose the question as "an added worry."
NSMR #1975, RMR #4

woodchip

• Crew
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #96 on: June 03, 2021, 09:48:23 PM »
I’d give serious thought to 1/2” plywood and look into Knape and Vogt adjustable shelving. Plywood is more stable than any kind of chip board and the KV product would give you flexible storage for whatever.

woodchip

• Crew
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #97 on: June 03, 2021, 09:53:50 PM »
Check out what BCR570 did with his build. He’s done everything at 11🙂

Van Horne

• Crew
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #98 on: June 03, 2021, 11:34:44 PM »
Tim's construction methods are generally the Bugatti Veyron of techniques! He did not use hollow core closet doors, hence the closer supports. I have to span a 5 foot window with my 12" wide HCD.  It has been completely stable for a year now, although I wouldn't try and stand on it!

Dave

chuck geiger

• Crew
  • Las Piedras Railroad - Destination Desert
  • Respect: +2412
« Reply #99 on: June 05, 2021, 02:34:07 PM »
I am going with 1x2 stringers on the brackets. Watching Ron Marsh, Railfan 220, Ed and Midland & Dorchester, This is going
to be next weekend's project as well as getting Masonite or tempered hardboard cut for backdrop and fascia. Should
be getting most of the shelf work complete next weekend and unveiling the project: WORKING TITLE: Two Lines - One
District.
Chuck Geiger
provencountrypd@gmail.com