Author Topic: Matching EMD paint colors  (Read 1238 times)

Tad_T

• Crew
  • Respect: +13
Matching EMD paint colors
« on: May 23, 2021, 06:47:52 PM »
So, I have this from the official EMD Painting & Styling diagram for AD&N 150, an SW-1500 that was bought new from EMD by the AD&N in 1970.

I am interested in matching the yellow and green as closely as possible to paint several N scale locomotives.

I’ve tried searching both the EMD numbers and the Reference numbers with no luck.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +589
    • Modutrak
Re: Matching EMD paint colors
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2021, 10:24:05 AM »
There are paint chips and sample books from EMD.  But they are very difficult to find.

Given the time that has elapsed, event heading to a professional paint store, usually doesn't result in a win, since the company records don't go back that far.

Sorry there's no good answer.   :(

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Respect: +788
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2021, 12:47:47 PM »
+1

Here is a couple lists of railroad paint colors listed by rr / manufacturer. Unfortunately AD&N is not listed but EMD Loved recycling, perhaps the matching colors are listed under another railroad.

http://www.railfonts.com/Reference/paint_cross.pdf

https://bigeprod.com/literature/rrPres/paintRef.pdf

It may also be worthwhile contacting PPG or Dupont, might be a dead end but worth a shot...
Ryan in Alberta

Tad_T

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2021, 04:57:37 PM »
Here is a couple lists of railroad paint colors listed by rr / manufacturer. Unfortunately AD&N is not listed but EMD Loved recycling, perhaps the matching colors are listed under another railroad.

http://www.railfonts.com/Reference/paint_cross.pdf

https://bigeprod.com/literature/rrPres/paintRef.pdf

It may also be worthwhile contacting PPG or Dupont, might be a dead end but worth a shot...

Thanks, but I have already looked at those. The codes aren’t used on any other railroad in them.

I am in touch with Eric from Big E who compiled one of the lists.  He’s said that he will see if he can find something.

I think that I can eyeball it “almost close” and that no one would know but me.  I’m wanting to to get the colors nailed down so that I can get my custom decals ordered.

I have 9 units to paint and decal with these colors.

I’m working on modeling the entire AD&N diesel roster.

If you go to this link and scroll down to the third to the last photo you can see AD&N 150 in this scheme on October 26, 1975. There also some other units in this scheme on the link.

https://condrenrails.com/AD&N/index.html

If I can’t find out for sure, I am thinking possibly CN&W Green and either Reefer Yellow or Signal Yellow.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +3204
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2021, 08:30:12 PM »
Why such strong deside for a perfect match in our imperfect world?   Even the real railroads often changed paint vendors, resulting in slightly different hues.  Then there is weathering (grime) and fading.   Even in photos, colors aren't rendered 100% correctly. Then there is the "scale color" effect where the smaller scale the model is, the lighter the color should be compared to the 1:1 vehicle.

If this quest is strictly just so you can pat yourself in the back because your small model has the same exact color as some locomotive that hasn't been around for many decades, then more the power to you. But I doubt that anybody else but you will be able to say that you achieved perfection.
. . . 42 . . .

dem34

• Crew
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +503
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2021, 08:45:43 PM »
I honestly just match colors to stuff I already have. I trust that if the Atlas/Athearn/IM/Kato colors of what I'm modelling are so off its completely wrong somebody would have said something. Especially if the most accurate answer I can get for a color is something cryptic.
-Al

Tad_T

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2021, 10:40:15 PM »
Why such strong deside for a perfect match in our imperfect world?   Even the real railroads often changed paint vendors, resulting in slightly different hues.  Then there is weathering (grime) and fading.   Even in photos, colors aren't rendered 100% correctly. Then there is the "scale color" effect where the smaller scale the model is, the lighter the color should be compared to the 1:1 vehicle.

If this quest is strictly just so you can pat yourself in the back because your small model has the same exact color as some locomotive that hasn't been around for many decades, then more the power to you. But I doubt that anybody else but you will be able to say that you achieved perfection.

Because I want to.

Why do you nitpick over the brake gear on the underside of an N scale freight car?

The reason that I want to is because the AD&N, in this scheme, is the reason that I became interested in trains in the first place. When I was young I lived about 100 yards from the AD&N tracks. I used to never miss the local that was Daily except Sunday come by our place. And then it would be time to go in for supper.

I already stated what colors that I would use if I couldn’t find a match.

Now go find someone else to talk down to.

dem34

• Crew
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +503
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2021, 10:43:35 PM »
And we aren't trying to stifle you're  model making here, just trying to bring perspective to the fact that trying to paint match through long forgotten order forms is incredibly difficult compared to color matching a good well lit photo.
-Al

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +3204
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2021, 11:19:15 PM »
Because I want to.

. . .

Now go find someone else to talk down to.

No need to get your knickers in a twist.  I wasn't trying to talk you down -  I was simply curious what you reasons were.  Thank you for the explanation.  I hope you find exact matches.
. . . 42 . . .

Missaberoad

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2021, 01:06:27 AM »
+1
At work right now but I found some "hobby" colors in an old MR during my search this afternoon... I'll pass it on when I get home...
Ryan in Alberta

Tad_T

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2021, 11:52:05 AM »
... Thank you for the explanation.  I hope you find exact matches.

You’re welcome and thank you.

Tad_T

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2021, 11:52:50 AM »
At work right now but I found some "hobby" colors in an old MR during my search this afternoon... I'll pass it on when I get home...

Thanks.

Missaberoad

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2021, 01:43:39 PM »
+1
Found the issue, the March 1981 MR has an article by Terry Holly where he makes a model of 174. He suggests using Floquil Reefer Yellow and Dark Blue.
Fwiw there is a color photo of his model and the green looks pretty good. He also did 1205 in Tedder Green and used BN green.

If you pm me your email I can send you a copy of the article.
Ryan in Alberta

Tad_T

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2021, 03:38:33 PM »
+3
Found the issue, the March 1981 MR has an article by Terry Holly where he makes a model of 174. He suggests using Floquil Reefer Yellow and Dark Blue.
Fwiw there is a color photo of his model and the green looks pretty good. He also did 1205 in Tedder Green and used BN green.

If you pm me your email I can send you a copy of the article.

Thanks. I have that issue and the February issue where they have the AD&N as a Railroad You Can Model.

I appreciate you taking the time to look.

I might have to experiment with those colors on an old boxcar and see how they come out.

I used the BN green in doing some units in the green scheme.

That’s Reading green on the caboose because that is what Mr. Tedder told me they used. Sadly, he is no longer around to consult with.

Missaberoad

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2021, 06:03:18 PM »
+1
No worries and nice looking models so far!
Ryan in Alberta