Author Topic: N scale VIA Rail (exUP) slab side baggage car build  (Read 2124 times)

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1636
N scale VIA Rail (exUP) slab side baggage car build
« on: May 22, 2021, 04:56:34 AM »
+6
With the release of Rapido’s LRC cars I found myself wanting to model a modern VIA Rail corridor train. They come in all shapes and sizes. They are mostly powered by P42s (I think) and include any combination of LRC cars and HEP2 Budd stainless cars.

One thing they all have is an ex-UP slab side baggage (which started life as an RPO).

My train consists of a Kato P42, three LRC coaches, one LRC business class car, and one stainless HEP2 coach. All I’m missing is the baggage.

The closest car I could find on the cheap was this Concor RPO.

I figured the doors were in the right spots and I could add the fluting, fix the windows etc. I was totally wrong as it soon became apparent that this was a ground up build, but the car still served as a very good core.

Since initially I planned on using the stock doors, I set to work rearranging them to make a more prototypical arrangement. The large door needed to be on the other side of the bolster so I cut the end off, cut out the door section, flipped it, and glued it all back together. This was my first time using a NWSL True Sander. What a great tool!

Next I needed a Budd corrugated roof. In the parts bin I had a Kato diner roof which was the correct length but had all kinds of holes for vents and such, and a Kato coach roof which was mostly free of detail, but about 1/2” too short. So I chopped the clean part from the diner roof and spliced it with the coach roof. Again the True Sander was instrumental.

At this point I set to work on the windows. I cut out all
of the Concor windows and started rummaging through my bag of left over Kato windows. The whole time I was thinking about how much of a pain it would be to assemble these windows, and the doors would still be wrong. @CNR5529 has been encouraging me to learn to CAD and with some cajoling we came to the conclusion that this was the perfect project to cut my teeth on. So I measured my car, imported a good roster shot of the prototype and got to work.

Actually, I drew it twice and the second time was much cleaner than in the picture.

@CNR5529 cut it for me on his Silhouette cutter and voila! More or less accurate sides... or at least much better than what I had planned. I cannot thank @CNR5529 enough for the help learning the software and such.

With the sides prepped I worked on the fluting next. I made it by glueing three strips of .01”x .06” styrene to a base of .005”.

To create the shoulder below the fluting unused my square as a guide to make a thin uniform cut.

The completed fluting is shown here prior to adding to the car side.

And then it was laminated on to the car sides.

Next I glued spacers in behind, attached the doors, and glued the sides to the car.

Seen here is the basic completed car body.

At this point I still need to add a styrene strip to create the thin fluting below the letter board but I don’t have small enough strip in stock right now. Once that’s done I’ll move on to details.

At this point I’m pretty pleased with the general look of the car.

Craig

« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 05:01:38 AM by craigolio1 »

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2894
Re: N scale VIA Rail (exUP) slab side baggage car build
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2021, 07:03:13 AM »
I love threads like this .. something about using old fashioned scratch building that for me is the joy of the hobby -- and gives you a unique model .

craigolio1

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2021, 06:34:10 PM »
+3
I love threads like this .. something about using old fashioned scratch building that for me is the joy of the hobby -- and gives you a unique model .

Thank you John. I’m trying to learn some more modern things like CAD so I can eventually print models, but I love putting a knife to plastic.

More progress.

Truck bolsters, door frames, wire grabs, steps, panel lines and roof vents. All that’s left is some sanding, couplers, and it’ll be off to the paint shop.

Here it is next to a Rapido LRC. The difference in ride height is prototypical. The LRCs are really low.

Craig

craigolio1

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2021, 05:08:47 PM »
+4
The baggage car is marching slowly to completion. I painted it with a base coat of Testors gloss black and then two coats of Alclad II Chrome. These metalizer paints are not forgiving. More time spent in prep work would have resulted in a much nicer finish. I’ll have to remember that for future models. That said I have improved my scratch building skills and ultimately am pleased with the result. It needs a clear coat, windows and finally assembly and it will be done.

Craig.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4594
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2021, 06:37:36 PM »
Nice!
Remember that if you clear coat Alclad II chrome it will turn the beautiful metallic shine into regular silver paint finish.  Well, it will look ok if you use a water-based clear coat.  But no Glosscote or Dullcote!
. . . 42 . . .

craigolio1

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2021, 06:50:48 PM »
Nice!
Remember that if you clear coat Alclad II chrome it will turn the beautiful metallic shine into regular silver paint finish.  Well, it will look ok if you use a water-based clear coat.  But no Glosscote or Dullcote!

Thanks Peteski. I’ve used the Alclad II a few times and each time I’ve used Testors gloss coat. I agree that it significantly reduces the bright metal finish but I’m ok with that. In my opinion the finish after applying the gloss coat looks more like stainless to me. Straight out of the bottle this stuff is SHINY. In fact on these photos the model has had a coat of gloss already as I did one prior to applying the decals. 

The coach behind it was previously completed as a standard VIA coach and had a final coat of Testors Gloss when it was “finished”. In this photo I’ve added the markings that make it more represent a HEP 2 coach.

Craig.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 06:52:40 PM by craigolio1 »

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2021, 07:15:24 PM »
+1
If you really aren't after the chrome-like reflectivity then why not use either Stainless Steel or Polished Stainless Steel (also from Alclad)?
. . . 42 . . .

craigolio1

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2021, 07:25:12 AM »
If you really aren't after the chrome-like reflectivity then why not use either Stainless Steel or Polished Stainless Steel (also from Alclad)?

I experimented with Stainless, chrome, and polished aluminum. I found the stainless looked duller, more like my fridge after I applied gloss coat. It was also more gray  The aluminum and chrome both were more reflective after gloss coat  and chrome had a colour that, to me, more represented the stainless that I was trying trying to represent. With the chrome, it’s stock finish is like a mirror, so once a coat of gloss coat goes on that mirror shine is toned down a bit.

Craig.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 10:19:55 AM by craigolio1 »

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2021, 01:42:23 PM »
Thanks for the explanation Craig.  Got it!   :)
. . . 42 . . .

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4200
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2021, 01:12:11 PM »
Alcad Stainless Steel clear coated with Future does not lose it's original appearance.  Alcad Chrome clear coated with Testors Gloss Cote probably is close, but I prefer the SS finish.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

craigolio1

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2021, 08:11:49 AM »
Alcad Stainless Steel clear coated with Future does not lose it's original appearance.  Alcad Chrome clear coated with Testors Gloss Cote probably is close, but I prefer the SS finish.

I have experimented with future but it wasn’t on the Alclad. I couldn’t get a nice smooth finish with my airbrush unless I applied a lot of product.

I’m still interested in using it though. How do you apply it over the Alclad?

Craig

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1241
    • Modutrak
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2021, 09:03:23 AM »
I have experimented with future but it wasn’t on the Alclad. I couldn’t get a nice smooth finish with my airbrush unless I applied a lot of product.

I’m still interested in using it though. How do you apply it over the Alclad?

Craig

I used to use the Testor's Mettalizer Clear over the Alclad.  Keeping the mirror finish is what it was designed for, and it was a nice hard coating.

Funny you mention issues with Future.  I hear so many people that love it.  But I've tried it a handful of times now and am always left disappointed.  Maybe I have a bad bottle or an interim formulation as the names have changed over time...

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2021, 10:32:38 AM »
I used to use the Testor's Mettalizer Clear over the Alclad.  Keeping the mirror finish is what it was designed for, and it was a nice hard coating.

I'm surprised that this organic-solvent-based clear did not dull the Alclad II Chrome finish. In my experience only water-based clears leave the high reflectivity of the Chrome paint intact.
. . . 42 . . .

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2021, 11:56:25 AM »
As far as Future goes, you have to flood it on more than you'd probably ordinarily be comfortable with and it levels out pretty nicely.
Of course, I would recommend doing it on something experimental prior to your completed model.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

craigolio1

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2021, 07:15:16 PM »
As far as Future goes, you have to flood it on more than you'd probably ordinarily be comfortable with and it levels out pretty nicely.
Of course, I would recommend doing it on something experimental prior to your completed model.

Ok I’ll experiment some more. Thanks.