Author Topic: Hawgheads Rio Grande Southern  (Read 9965 times)

Hawghead

• Crew
  • Respect: +311
Re: Hawgheads Rio Grande Southern
« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2023, 07:20:54 PM »
+4
Thanks Otto,

Wye oh Wye Rico!

Completed building the Rico wye.  It's not installed yet, I need to lay down the cork in that area and paint.  I added a short piece of bench work mostly because I needed it to support the wye switch on the right and I'm going to need it eventually.  When I moved Rico from in front of the garage door to the west wall I had to move it in two pieces, I took that opportunity to re-do all the drops and solder them to the underside of the rail and also to glue down all the track.  Additionally I was able to add another foot to the length of Rico.  After I get the wye laid down, the next step will be to rewire Rico and re-hook up all the switch servos.

Till next time,
Scott
There's a prototype for everything.
If you can't make it perfect, make it adjustable.
DCC is not plug-n-play.

Hawghead

• Crew
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2023, 05:03:10 PM »
+2
Well the wye is laid down and I just got another Octopus from Tam Valley to drive the servos.  I have to make some mounts for the servos before I can install them.  In the mean time I've been working on getting all the yard tracks and switches powered and frog wired to the Frog Juicers and finding where I forgot to add gaps in the PCB ties when I built the turnouts.  For instance what is wrong with this picture?  :facepalm:

Till next time,
Scott
DCC is not plug-n-play.

dem34

• Crew
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +1067
« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2023, 12:00:27 AM »
Details, Details. Little shot with a dremel clears that up real quick. Did that on an entire 3 foot micro layout, little too gungho to get trains running.
-Al

Hawghead

• Crew
« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2023, 10:46:33 AM »
Actually had to cut out the section of track leading to the turnout as the spreader bars sit lower that the surrounding ties.  Using a dremel would have left big cuts in the surrounding ties.  The real pisser is that I spent about a half hour trying to figure out where I had a short in the 3-way turnout just out of the picture to left.  I got focused on that and didn't think to look down stream.

Scott
DCC is not plug-n-play.

Hawghead

• Crew
« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2023, 05:58:24 PM »
+8
I haven't updated this thread for awhile as most of what I've been doing has been under the hood.  Wiring, installing servo switch machines and switches for controlling them etc and I'm still finding switches that I failed to cut gaps in or didn't cut all the way through the copper cladding.  Not much really worth reporting.  I did however want to share with you my birthday present from my lovely wife.

R.G.S. #41

This one completes the roster of the R.G.S. 2-8-0s

The two brass ones need paint and decoders and the Blackstone will need re-lettering as the era I model is before the sunrise herald.  The roster now consists of all the 2-8-0s, two of the three 4-6-0s and three of the four 2-8-2s.  For the portion I'm modeling this is more than enough motive power.

Thanks for looking,
Scott
DCC is not plug-n-play.

Hawghead

• Crew
« Reply #65 on: August 04, 2023, 06:30:25 PM »
+3
I haven't updated this thread in awhile because, well I'm slow, and I've just been doing wiring, adding switch machines and installing the switches that control them, not very exciting stuff.  I did get the Rico wye completed and it's now operational with the exception of the switches that will control the turnouts for the south end of the wye and the ramp to the coaling dock.  I dug out the video camera my wife bought me awhile ago and made a short video of an engine moving around the wye.  Thank you for the guys here that helped with advice on wiring up the wye.  I went with a Tam Valley Depot dual frog juicer for the auto reverser. 

Sorry about the poor quality, I didn't set up any lights or anything, just trying out the camcorder (I've got a lot to learn).
Next project is going back and wiring up all the switch frogs I was going to use the Tam Valley Depot Hex Frog juicers but I'd need at least three of them and at $90.00 a pop, I'll just go with using the other side of the DPST switches I'm using to control the TVD Octopus IIIs that drive the turnout servos.  Again not very exciting stuff.

Scott
DCC is not plug-n-play.

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2023, 11:06:07 AM »
I haven't updated this thread for awhile as most of what I've been doing has been under the hood.  Wiring, installing servo switch machines and switches for controlling them etc and I'm still finding switches that I failed to cut gaps in or didn't cut all the way through the copper cladding.  Not much really worth reporting.  I did however want to share with you my birthday present from my lovely wife.

R.G.S. #41

[img]

This one completes the roster of the R.G.S. 2-8-0s

Thanks for looking,
Scott

Ahh, what a lovely wife you have, Scott! :D
Otto

Hawghead

• Crew
« Reply #67 on: August 05, 2023, 12:23:44 PM »
Ahh, what a lovely wife you have, Scott! :D
Otto

Yes, yes I do.

Scott
DCC is not plug-n-play.