Author Topic: ZINC PEST / ROT  (Read 1621 times)

JohnP

• Respect: +2
ZINC PEST / ROT
« on: October 05, 2020, 02:17:47 PM »
+2
Something that came about in the '50's seems to have made a come back into the 2K's . I have a large number of BLI locomotives and have found that some of them have Zinc Rot , the metal swells an crumbles from the inside out . This is from making cheap castings with impurities . I have found 2 of 6 RSD-15's with Rot . A call to BLI found they know nothing about it but supplied parts for the RSD-15 , not the parts I actually need . The motor frame which the decoder mounts to , cracked an warped . breaks apart with little pressure . You can coat all the parts that are still serviceable with epoxy paint to seal the metal , but will not stop the rot , just slow it down .  So I guess We should start checking all our diecast frames , locomotives, freights car any thing diecast . This was big in the '50's and now it's sneaking back in because for cheap . I'll put some pictures together for what I've found and post them later .  :o   

SORRY not able to post any pictures , but I can email them to anybody that wants to see the problem. jp0055@aol.com
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 02:16:29 PM by JohnP »

Summit

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
Re: ZINC PEST / ROT
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 06:56:58 PM »
I have seen this myself on Diecast car collections.  One of those collections consisted of those "minted" high dollar colectables. 

Hiroe

• Crew
  • Respect: +256
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2021, 07:48:47 PM »
A number of lifelike/walthers P2K E8 frames had this problem too.
wubba lubba dub dub

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4614
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2021, 08:23:59 PM »
. . . 42 . . .

Hiroe

• Crew
  • Respect: +256
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2021, 08:57:19 PM »
It took me awhile to find this photo.

This is an O scale 2-rail truck set, the second truck is underneath the first with a cardboard divider between them; but none of us wanted to risk removing the top truck and see it disintegrate completely.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
wubba lubba dub dub