Author Topic: Commercial T.O. Enhancement  (Read 1697 times)

MarkInLA

• Crew
  • Respect: -75
Commercial T.O. Enhancement
« on: May 28, 2021, 09:34:19 PM »
+2
Hi.
This is something I came up with some 10-12 years ago and had posted it in another MRR forum.
I have no proof others haven't done this before. But it is my sworn testimony under penalty of perjury I never saw/read about it elsewhere.
So, it could be an original..I like to think so, anyway..
~ Get a tiny bottle of Chrome enamel paint (same as nail polish I believe), and paint the 4 insulators around your Atlas or Peco TO frogs and crossing frogs, and any other black/brown plastic rail insulators lurkin' about..It's a nice visual addition and is why I put it in this category.
When I had it on my last layout, nothing seemed to wear it away, such as brite boy, alcohol, burnishing, or wheels. And if it ever did you just re-do...
If you fear it will lift drivers you can take down the plastic a smidge, first. But it must be somewhere near 128th" !...
Hope you like it. I've 2 more I also may be first with..But that's for anoth......M 

« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 09:47:52 PM by MarkInLA »

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8552
Re: Commercial T.O. Enhancement
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2021, 12:16:21 AM »
Do you have any before and after photos?

MarkInLA

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2021, 07:00:09 PM »
Sorry. Not as yet..
I recently got a USB cable and need to learn how to download pix. Even so I doubt pix I do have are going to be close up enough to see that.
Just paint one or two of your insulators and see if you like the effect.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 04:09:04 PM by MarkInLA »

MarkInLA

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2021, 10:16:30 PM »
PS.
Just now went thru all my last (6-7 yrs ago) layout pix still in my Coolpix camera/screen. There's nothing that close up to a frog to show enamel.
But, hey, you already gotz the 'before' long as you own a switch track having insulators surrounding its frog..
Remember, this is scenic, not electronics..If ya think it'll cause, say, a stall out, don't do it.
But it never affected my trains and added a smidge more realism to da rails..Dats all..
M
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 10:18:06 PM by MarkInLA »