Author Topic: Micro Trains Line employment opportunities.  (Read 2884 times)

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +3101
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: Micro Trains Line employment opportunities.
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2021, 06:06:40 PM »
+1
I could be a Spring Catcher.  I'll just stand over there with a wool sweater on, and when the staff launches a coupler spring, I'll pick it out of the wool and get it back in the production line! :lol:

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1185
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2021, 06:11:37 PM »
This could be something some of us retiring / retired folks could do from afar .. send some boxes with 1000 pieces of each, the correct tools, and a stipend at completion ..

You know, I was thinking the very same thing.  There is nothing wrong with doing this type of work as piece-work, where you are paid a certain amount for every 100 or 1000 you complete and send in.  The more you work, the more you earn, and the more they are willing to send you larger batches because you are a good producer. It still keeps the product and the job in the US.  The only downside here is that you become a "contractor", not an employee.   That saves the company money, and it might be perfectly fine for somebody who wants to do this as a sideline or as a retiree.  But it DOES potentially remove some full-time, benefits-included jobs from MTL's employee roll.

CRL

• Crew
  • Needs More Dirt.
  • Respect: +495
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2021, 07:03:35 PM »
I could be a Spring Catcher.  I'll just stand over there with a wool sweater on, and when the staff launches a coupler spring, I'll pick it out of the wool and get it back in the production line! :lol:

Lee

Sounds like something they’d hire some sheep to do.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +3893
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2021, 02:03:40 PM »
Love that guys stuff .. him and Mark Felton

Oh man yes!

I love Drach's youtube videos, especially the endings where he's just like "And then it was sold for scrap in 1969. <credits>"

There was a cluster of other channels that I had been watching: Dark Docs, Dark Footage, Dark Skies. But then I realized "these are all terribly researched and written", so if you see those crop up, skip em.

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1050
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2021, 02:33:32 PM »
Oh man yes!

I love Drach's youtube videos, especially the endings where he's just like "And then it was sold for scrap in 1969. <credits>"

There was a cluster of other channels that I had been watching: Dark Docs, Dark Footage, Dark Skies. But then I realized "these are all terribly researched and written", so if you see those crop up, skip em.

Dark Docs is just annoying -- that voice they use

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Respect: +622
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2021, 02:48:45 PM »
I hate how Dark Docs tries to paint everything as a conspiracy or mystery, even well documented events with benign explanations.

A little too clickbaity for my tastes...
Ryan in Alberta

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +3893
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2021, 02:51:29 PM »
I hate how Dark Docs tries to paint everything as a conspiracy or mystery, even well documented events with benign explanations.

A little too clickbaity for my tastes...

Exactly.

Spades

• Crew
  • Respect: +79
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2021, 03:14:29 PM »
+1
Joe, may not have found an employee.  He did most certainly learn of the collective Railwire YouTube viewing habits and free association thread drift.

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1050
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2021, 04:17:37 PM »
+1
Joe, may not have found an employee.  He did most certainly learn of the collective Railwire YouTube viewing habits and free association thread drift.

I suspect that wasn't a surprise to him :)

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +357
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2021, 12:22:57 AM »
+1

He's learned who NOT to hire.
Peter Pfotenhauer

MTLJoe

• Crew
  • Respect: +746
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2021, 11:44:42 AM »
+3
well, you just never know...somewhere in all these thorns is a flower :)

Joe

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +499
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2021, 10:14:52 PM »
I'd apply, but I have 15 years of seniority at my current dream job.. almost halfway to RR retirement.. 34/60 (started when I was 26)

I looked at housing prices in the area a while back and I'm pretty sure the income MTL could offer wouldn't match the Income to Cost of Living ratio I have now.

And as I recall, these positions seem to pop up every 5ish years.. so I'd be curious why the positions keeps coming up..
5 years isn't horrible turnover... but it's not great either...

Plus my 6" jokes about the SW1500 would likely come back to haunt me..  :trollface:

~Ian
“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” ~Homer Simpson

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +741
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2021, 08:57:08 AM »
+3
OK, maybe I"m weird (no, DEFINITELY I'm weird), but I actually LIKE assembling the 1015 couplers.  Without a jig.  I can do 10 in about 15 minutes from opening the bag to finishing the last one.  Might not want to do it 8 hours a day, but I've found it stress-reducing in a peculiar sort of way . . .

John C.

sd45elect2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +307
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2021, 10:50:31 AM »
I'd apply, but I have 15 years of seniority at my current dream job.. almost halfway to RR retirement.. 34/60 (started when I was 26)

I looked at housing prices in the area a while back and I'm pretty sure the income MTL could offer wouldn't match the Income to Cost of Living ratio I have now.

And as I recall, these positions seem to pop up every 5ish years.. so I'd be curious why the positions keeps coming up..
5 years isn't horrible turnover... but it's not great either...

Plus my 6" jokes about the SW1500 would likely come back to haunt me..  :trollface:

~Ian

I started when I was 18, actually got my RR physical when I was 17. 35 years on the RR ( not the same one ) but not near old enough to retire. I may consider a job like this in 8 years or so...

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +499
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2021, 12:00:16 PM »
OK, maybe I"m weird (no, DEFINITELY I'm weird), but I actually LIKE assembling the 1015 couplers.  Without a jig.  I can do 10 in about 15 minutes from opening the bag to finishing the last one.  Might not want to do it 8 hours a day, but I've found it stress-reducing in a peculiar sort of way . . .

John C.

100% agree... the 1015s are easy/peazy to assemble.. Especially since they did the clip on lid.  (wish they would somehow do that with all the boxes..)

Now assembling couplers on trucks.. I have a hard time with that... Maybe because once they dis-assemble themselves they loose their friction fit and don't stay as firmly locked in.
“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” ~Homer Simpson