Author Topic: Micro Trains Line employment opportunities.  (Read 2885 times)

MTLJoe

• Crew
  • Respect: +747
Micro Trains Line employment opportunities.
« on: May 18, 2021, 04:10:57 PM »
+1
We have a number of positions available at Micro Trains Line. Check out the links and let us know if you are interested.

https://www.micro-trains.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=26

https://micro-trains.com/publicfiles/ProductManagerPosition.pdf

Cheers

Joe
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 05:45:48 PM by MTLJoe »

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +354
Re: Micro Trains Line employment opportunities.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2021, 08:15:28 AM »
Oh Gawd!  Do I have to become the MTL Product Manager to finally get that heavyweight coach/baggage combine with paired windows?  :trollface:

Seriously, that sounds like a neat job.  But, I am comfortably retired and living in a nice home about 3,000 miles away.  Should I start kitbashing, now?

Anyway, good to see MTL is hiring.  I want to see MTL prosper and make me more neat models.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +470
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2021, 11:05:09 AM »
+1
Have MBA, will travel.

Let me see.....toupe, corset, I actually know a couple of pretty good make-up people in Oregon, with their help, I could probably look about 45 again for the couple hours of the interview.  "Accidental" typo to change college graduation date to '90s.... Lots of experience with impossible deadlines and herding cats in the theater and TV.

The problem is that by now folks at MTL reading Railwire and other forums know, if they hire me as Product Manager, they will need and extra $2,000,000 to 3,000,000 to cover tooling costs, just in the first 30 days (see for instance, here: https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=52010.0 ). On the positive side, I have Medicare, so it will save them on benefit costs.

Oh Gawd!  Do I have to become the MTL Product Manager to finally get that heavyweight coach/baggage combine with paired windows?  :trollface:

Nah, you don't need to become project manager to get the paired window heavyweight coach/baggage combine.  If I become Product Manager, you will not only get the paired window combine, but also the single window combine, a Santa Fe coach-baggage combine, a Santa Fe baggage-lounge combine. Not to mention all the sleepers made in Z by AZL, and about 12 more baggage car bodystyles.

Kidding aside, I hope MTL finds some great employees.  Is it OK to forward this on and post in other places? 
Tom D.

Dear manufacturers,
If you don't make it, I can't buy it.

cec209

• Crew
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2021, 09:15:50 PM »
Made in the USA.
Charlie

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +456
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2021, 01:48:22 AM »
"Kidding aside, I hope MTL finds some great employees.  Is it OK to forward this on and post in other places?  "

I would think so.  Most companies want their "help wanted" ads to reach as many people as possible.
N Kalanaga
Be well

Angus Shops

• Crew
  • Respect: +137
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2021, 10:22:46 AM »
Micro Trains might be a great employer, but coupler assembly sounds more like the reward you might get for having lived a very unworthy life...

trainforfun

• Crew
  • Respect: +59
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2021, 10:24:01 AM »
They are looking for couplers/trucks assembly people .....
People must not last more than a week !!!!!!!
Easy to find the room where it is built , there is about 2 feet deep of spring coupler all over ......
Glad it's still make on this side of the pond  :D
Thanks ,
Louis

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2021, 12:21:44 PM »
Micro Trains might be a great employer, but coupler assembly sounds more like the reward you might get for having lived a very unworthy life...
I dunno.  If I lived closer, I would volunteer to take it on for a couple of weeks to tide them over while they find someone.  I'd like to learn how they do it.  They must have a secret system and some equipment that goes well beyond the couple of gadgets that they sell to us hobbyists.  And I figure they have a Roomba that patrols the room collecting springs and other escaping bits.
Tom D.

Dear manufacturers,

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1185
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2021, 01:33:45 PM »
I don't know if you have ever seen the MTL staff doing this (assembling couplers) at large train shows, but I have (at an NMRA National).
It does not look awful or stressful at all.  I cannot even remember who it was from MTL who was manning their booth that day, but he had a little jig and was just popping parts into couplers and assembling them one after another while talking to booth visitors.  Once you do it for a while, I'm sure it gets easier.   And I'm sure if it DOESN'T get easier for you, you'll be out of a job!  LOL!

I wish I could remember what the jig looked like.  I cannot even remember if it was just the thing they sell, mounted on a block of wood, or something nicer.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +3893
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2021, 02:31:31 PM »
I don't know if you have ever seen the MTL staff doing this (assembling couplers) at large train shows, but I have (at an NMRA National).
It does not look awful or stressful at all.  I cannot even remember who it was from MTL who was manning their booth that day, but he had a little jig and was just popping parts into couplers and assembling them one after another while talking to booth visitors.  Once you do it for a while, I'm sure it gets easier.   And I'm sure if it DOESN'T get easier for you, you'll be out of a job!  LOL!

I wish I could remember what the jig looked like.  I cannot even remember if it was just the thing they sell, mounted on a block of wood, or something nicer.

I watched the guy who IS Caboose Industries doing this at WGH show. Complete muscle memory.

dem34

• Crew
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +320
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2021, 02:51:59 PM »
I guess. At work I can zone out making RJ45B terminations without any quality issues, listening to Drachinifel's podcast.
-Al

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1050
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2021, 06:44:03 AM »
listening to Drachinifel's podcast.

Love that guys stuff .. him and Mark Felton

Southern1970

• Respect: +2
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2021, 07:01:56 AM »
Strangely enough I enjoyed assembling  micro-trains couplers.
 If only they had a facility in Australia...

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1050
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2021, 07:22:18 AM »
+1
Strangely enough I enjoyed assembling  micro-trains couplers.
 If only they had a facility in Australia...

This could be something some of us retiring / retired folks could do from afar .. send some boxes with 1000 pieces of each, the correct tools, and a stipend at completion ..

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2021, 07:45:39 AM »
This could be something some of us retiring / retired folks could do from afar .. send some boxes with 1000 pieces of each, the correct tools, and a stipend at completion ..

Will work for baggage cars.
Tom D.

Dear manufacturers,