Author Topic: Garden scale, Fine Art Model trains, power  (Read 850 times)

propmeup1

• Crew
  • Respect: +112
Garden scale, Fine Art Model trains, power
« on: May 16, 2021, 10:16:08 AM »
I'm an N scaler and use the NCE Power Cab unit. It usually puts 14 volts to the track.  My question is since I been collecting a few Fine Art Model locos, what power do they require ?  I've seen on the Fine Art Models site , photos of the PRR B6 with a photo of the NCE Power Cab unit with booster. This tells me that the same unit will power the Fine Art Models G scale as it does my N scale  ? This is where I question it. I really have no idea.

Thank you,

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +993
Re: Garden scale, Fine Art Model trains, power
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2021, 12:32:27 PM »
It should work just fine.  DCC doesn't care about scale.    That said, power matters, and a larger model will draw more current.  You mention that the photo shows a DCC booster - that's to provide more power.  The NCE Power Cab puts out around 2.15 Amps (or maybe 2.5A?) - you need to check the rated current draw of the G scale engine to see if that's enough.
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2021, 06:22:03 PM »
My Power Cab's "wall wart" power source is only rated at 1.3A of current.  But I think the Power Cab's built-in "booster" could supply up to 2.5A if its power source provided that much amperage).
. . . 42 . . .

propmeup1

• Crew
  • Respect: +112
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2021, 06:29:15 PM »
I'll try it out. I don't have a G layout but I'd like to test them on a straight track.  I'll give it a go,

Thanks

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2021, 06:35:01 PM »
I'll try it out. I don't have a G layout but I'd like to test them on a straight track.  I'll give it a go,

Thanks

I don't know what is the power (current and voltage) requirement of a G scale loco.   If trying to run the motor trips the PowerCab's breaker, at least you might be able to activate various functions (like headlights) while the loco is stationary.
. . . 42 . . .

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +993
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2021, 06:55:41 PM »
The NCE web site claims that the PowerCab can deliver up to 2 amps (I just checked).
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2021, 08:32:22 PM »
The NCE web site claims that the PowerCab can deliver up to 2 amps (I just checked).

But when the wall-wart only provides 1.35A it Power Cab can only deliver less than 1.3A  There was a discussion about this some time ago.   When there is a short or overload on DCC track outout, the Power Cab completely reboots because the wall wart breaker trips instead of the booster's breaker.  One of these days I'll find a wall wart rated for over 2A (so the Power Cab will work properly - so only the internal booster breaker will trip).  But it is not a 12V wall wart - it is 13.8V. Those are nto as readily available as 12V units.
. . . 42 . . .

Steveruger45

• Crew
  • Respect: +524
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2021, 09:01:56 PM »
This might be useful info this subject.
https://sites.google.com/site/markgurries/home/dcc-recomended-powersupplies/nce-system-power
I just checked and my power cab power supply that came with the system has an output current of 1.8A printed on it.
My power cab is about 4 years old.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 09:04:25 PM by Steveruger45 »
Steve