Author Topic: Traction Tire?  (Read 556 times)

rsed780

• Respect: 0
Traction Tire?
« on: May 12, 2021, 11:34:14 PM »
I want to know way steam locos need traction tires and diesels don't?
I understand that some steam are lighter than diesels, but I have a Kato and a B'mann diesels that weight in at about 108 grams and my EM 1's weigh in at 150, Mallet 130 and Challenger at 110. And this is with out the tenders.

The reason that I ask is that I am thinking about using No-Ox but wondering about the traction tires responding to the treatment?

I would think that with careful planning and work I could add weight to the smaller steam.

And I was thinking about using my CMX track cleaning car to treat the track. Put a small amount of No-Ox on the fabric pad and dragging it around the track a few times.

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1779
    • Maxcow Online
Re: Traction Tire?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2021, 01:40:40 AM »
+1
It's all about the geometry and the wheel contact. Consider than an x-8-x steam loco, in reality, only has about 3 wheels solidly on the track at any given moment, maybe 4 at best.  And even at that, they are all held in one rigid frame.  Even with a little float in the axles, there isn't a lot of solid weight-bearing contact area on many of the wheels. 

Compare that to an F unit.  You have two swiveling trucks, each of which has only 2 axles and they have a little float to them.  You essentially have 8 independent wheels firmly on the track nearly all the time.  On any type of real-world layout, it is crucial to have lots of wheel contact points, because the track is not dead level.  That F unit can rock and roll and still keep 8 wheels on the track for maximum friction.  The steam loco cannot.  If our steam locos had fully equalized drivers like the real thing, you would see similar adhesion.  But that isn't likely to happen. 
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 04:10:50 PM by mmagliaro »