Author Topic: Fabricating Locomotive Handrails  (Read 2685 times)

gregamer

• Respect: +5
Re: Fabricating Locomotive Handrails
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2021, 09:54:37 AM »
The results look great. I’ve been scratching my head about how to do this for my O scale SW9, I want to add full side handrails along the long hood as part of an updated look. I have a few stanchion sets from Precision Scale, but I was kind of wondering how I would go about bending the handrails. A template is a simple solution I can see being a benefit and maybe don’t even need the commercial stanchions. Thanks for posting.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2021, 11:46:52 AM »
Most GP7’s but not 9’s.

Exactly.  While not 100% guaranteed, it's those pipe tees and louvers/fans on the body that help me distinguish a GP7 from a GP9 or GP18.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2021, 01:01:30 PM »
@SAH Nice work, looks good.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

ksmiley

• Crew
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2021, 09:29:02 PM »
SAH,

thanks for posting. Handrails that are sturdy and fine are worth the effort and are kind of like eating a elephant, one bend and join at a time. Even 1st efforts look better than no handrails at all. Yours look great.

Thanks again.

chrismears

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2021, 12:21:31 PM »
Thank you for posting this tutorial and also the note on what materials you used. I need to build up the courage to try this on my H12-44 shells.

SAH

• Crew
  • Respect: +1259
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2021, 09:22:34 AM »
Thanks guys.  All the wire bending is complete and installed and the paint applied.  Decals and weathering are next.  So far so good.  Pictures when I'm done.
Steve

TiogaTracks

• Crew
  • Respect: +422
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2021, 10:52:36 PM »
This was really interesting, and I hope the solution works out for you.  I’ve been sweating the details fixing handrails on Aristo-Craft Large-scale locos I’m upgrading, and I found myself wishing they were smaller.  Now, not so much...  I guess the grass always looks greener in another scale!

For G scale, there are a couple 3D printed replacement stanchions available,  in several styles.  I wonder if someone could whip up those GP7 pipe tees on a Photon or similar, at least for O or HO?  I never paid attention to handrail styles before, but now it seems totally worth it.

-Steven

Wellsville Addison & Galeton RR in 1:29
Still dabbling in N scale
Restoring a full size 1951 Brill bus

SAH

• Crew
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2021, 08:31:45 PM »
+9
Done.  The decoder install is next.

The oil leak weathering kind of got away from me on the hood.  Oh well.  It's the backdrop side of the model at least.  I just noticed I forgot to add spill streaks at the fuel fill cap.

The x-y direction bends on old ALCOs are not bad.  You can do this for EMDs too but the degree of difficulty goes up a bit.

I'll usually make wire handrails only when the handrail is a contrasting color.  But the stock Atlas S2 handrails look much better than the stock RS1 handrails so I decided to upgrade the RS1 in this case.

I was kind of goaded into building handrails by a post back in the old yahoo N Scale list days by our @robert3985.  The discussion was diesel detail upgrades IIRC and he posted, in his usual understated manner, something to the effect that putting wire grabs and such was nice but unless you change out the handrails you've only done half the job.  And btw, use an airbrush to paint the wire.  All righty then.  His poke did the trick though.

Steve

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +994
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2021, 09:48:24 PM »
Nice job!  Also, how did you make the nose bell on NKP 340, and what did you use for decals (old Northeast Decals?) ?
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2021, 04:43:11 AM »
+3
Spectacular job on the handrails and the weathering!!  Those are easily the truest looking handrails I can recall seeing on any N scale diesel.  Very impressive.

I was kind of goaded into building handrails by a post back in the old yahoo N Scale list days by our @robert3985.  The discussion was diesel detail upgrades IIRC and he posted, in his usual understated manner...

That's the first time I've ever heard Robert described as understated.  :D

amato1969

• Crew
  • Respect: +831
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2021, 05:39:55 AM »
Really well done @SAH !

Frank

SAH

• Crew
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2021, 09:06:19 PM »
Nice job!  Also, how did you make the nose bell on NKP 340, and what did you use for decals (old Northeast Decals?) ?
Thanks to all.
The SD9 model was made about 15 years ago.  The bell bracket was made piece by stinking piece of styrene.  A good candidate for 3-D printing today.
I think you are correct about the decal Mfgr.

That's the first time I've ever heard Robert described as understated.  :D

;)

If nothing else it's good to know the old dog can still hunt.  Now if I can get the power plant to run as well after the decoder install as it did before.   :facepalm:

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1636
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2021, 05:18:40 AM »
Fixed it.  You are correct. 
The bar stock is Details Associates #2522.  No idea if they are still in business.
The GMM stanchions I have are for EMDs.  Maybe they make some for ALCOs, I don't know.  Bar stock works just fine for ALCOs IMO.
BTW, in the spirit of TRW sharing I posted my technique at the request of @craigolio1  in the recent WE Update post.
I realize it's not something everyone aspires to, or even finds necessary to do.  I like the result.
Steve

Edit:  Put the wrong member as the requester.  I think I'll stop posting for awhile.

Steve, I really appreciate you posting this. I need to build the courage to bend the handrails for my four M420s.

Craig

SAH

• Crew
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2021, 11:47:40 AM »
You're very welcome Craig.

Courage?  Just accept there will be a small pile of mangled wire left behind and dig in.

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1636
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2021, 04:37:04 PM »
You're very welcome Craig.

Courage?  Just accept there will be a small pile of mangled wire left behind and dig in.

Good call.