Author Topic: The Canadian  (Read 12754 times)

Joetrain59

• Crew
  • Respect: +75
Re: The Canadian
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2021, 11:10:51 PM »
Rapido also offered a D&H mid-dome car. I should have it Wednesday.
 But why a D&H scheme? Enlighten me.
 Joe D

Angus Shops

• Crew
  • Respect: +256
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2021, 11:25:46 PM »
CP leased a couple of Skylines to the D & H in ‘74. Maybe some coaches as well?

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +714
« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2021, 09:36:07 AM »
 Joe D
http://www.trainweb.org/dhvm/photographs/passenger/photographs_dome.htm

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +531
« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2021, 09:52:37 AM »

As Spok would say, "Fascinating"

http://trainweb.org/web_lurker/DHDelawareHudson

CNR5529

• Crew
  • Respect: +623
    • My Shapeways Store
« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2021, 11:09:27 AM »
Is there any passenger train that ran in US service that would be an equivalent to this one? CZ, Broadway Limited? Empire Builder? Others?

Not sure what you meant by equivalent, but The Canadian was built using designs that evolved from previous Budd built streamliners, such as the CZ. There are some visual similarities, and there were some changes made to improve operations and maintenance a bit. For example the full length skirting was removed from the design.

As for equivalency from an operations stand point, The Canadian was/is a transcontinental train, which allowed passengers to travel from as far east as Montreal Qc. all the way west to Vancouver B.C. (with a second section from Toronto Ont. being cut into the train at Sudbury Ont.) In total the train covered 2881.2 miles in 71 hrs 10 mins. to go from Montreal to Vancouver. Now VIA Rail runs the Canadian between Toronto and Vancouver only, and the trip is over the more northerly Canadian National route through Edmonton and Jasper Ab. This is all in contrast to the various US streamliners that seemed to mostly originate or terminate in Chicago (not sure how mileage compares).
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 02:44:02 PM by CNR5529 »
Because why not...

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4209
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2021, 01:09:53 PM »
 Joe D

D&H leased two VIA Skyline domes and utilized them in the Laurentian between Albany NY and Montréal from 1972 though 1974.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

simsuper80

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2021, 01:19:06 PM »
I got a few sets, and some of the cars tend to roll much better then others. I just hope 2 upcoming rapido f40s will be able to pull a full 20 car or more consist

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +993
« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2021, 01:26:59 PM »
I got a few sets, and some of the cars tend to roll much better then others. I just hope 2 upcoming rapido f40s will be able to pull a full 20 car or more consist

A train of that length would often have 3 F40s (at least it did when I rode it).
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

simsuper80

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2021, 01:32:20 PM »
From videos on YouTube. 2 seems to be the norm, but ya, the occasional 3 units are seen.

Joetrain59

• Crew
  • Respect: +75
« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2021, 06:06:09 PM »
Thank you all for the D&H info.
 Joe D

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1241
    • Modutrak
« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2021, 09:41:23 PM »

Yeah, I need to look closer but it seems like some flanges are rubbing on the underframe.  Definitely not smooth rollers, and some are sleds. 

The default off position of the red marker lights is weird.  Whenever there's a power glitch when running, they shut off.  Let me know if anyone opens up a Park car to rewire.  Probably easy to force them on all the time by bypassing the reed switch.  But I'm wondering why they chose normally off instead of normally on. 

Rode the train twice in the 80s and once in the 90s, so overall really happy to see these in N scale. 

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2021, 10:00:58 PM »

The default off position of the red marker lights is weird.  Whenever there's a power glitch when running, they shut off.  Let me know if anyone opens up a Park car to rewire.  Probably easy to force them on all the time by bypassing the reed switch.  But I'm wondering why they chose normally off instead of normally on. 

Looking at the light board, it appears that there are no reed switches (plus latching reed switches are rarer than hen's teeth).  Rapido seems to be using solid-state Hall Effect magnetic sensors, and probably some sort of flip-flop to latch the sensor's state.  They did that on the Osgood Bradley cars too.

Still, I'm sure that bypassing the circuit for the marker lights to be lit all the time is doable - just a bit more complicated to trace.
. . . 42 . . .

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4209
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2021, 10:04:00 PM »
I thought there were two switches in the obs, one for the interior (default on) and one at the tail (default off). If you turn the tail lights on, shouldn’t they remain in the “on” setting persistently the same way the interior lights do?

Never mind, I see that you state the lights flicker to off when the circuit is broken.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2021, 10:10:47 PM »
I thought there were two switches in the obs, one for the interior (default on) and one at the tail (default off). If you turn the tail lights on, shouldn’t they remain in the “on” setting persistently the same way the interior lights do?

Never mind, I see that you state the lights flicker to off when the circuit is broken.

Actually then adding some "keep-alive" capacitors on the output of the bridge rectifier might take care of this problem.  Or maybe modify the circuit to add the capacitors only in the Hall Effect chip circuit to keep it from resetting.
. . . 42 . . .

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #74 on: May 11, 2021, 12:23:09 AM »

As for equivalency from an operations stand point, The Canadian was/is a transcontinental train, which allowed passengers to travel from as far east as Montreal Qc. all the way west to Vancouver B.C. (with a second section from Toronto Ont. being cut into the train at Sudbury Ont.) In total the train covered 2881.2 miles in 71 hrs 10 mins. to go from Montreal to Vancouver. Now VIA Rail runs the Canadian between Toronto and Vancouver only, and the trip is over the more northerly Canadian National route through Edmonton and Jasper Ab. This is all in contrast to the various US streamliners that seemed to mostly originate or terminate in Chicago (not sure how mileage compares).

Gorgeous train, and a gorgeous model of it. Scale Trains have taken passenger train modeling to another level. Happy for all you  “Canadian” fans and friends. I hope the quality trend continues.

In all fairness, and not taking anything away, Montreal or Toronto aren’t exactly on the east coast, either. To put it in perspective, Chicago to LA is “only” 2,227 miles via ATSF, but the Super did it in under 40 hours, as early as 1938. Adding the NYC leg to New York, is another 960 miles or so, about 16 hrs by the 20th Century Ltd. Of course, the through Pullman sleepers had to be handled by a switcher between stations in Chicago, adding lots of time to the overall schedule...
Great trains, all....
Otto K.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 12:24:51 AM by Cajonpassfan »