Author Topic: replacement motor for Kato / concor hudsons?  (Read 715 times)

Doc Frankenfield

• Crew
  • Respect: +13
replacement motor for Kato / concor hudsons?
« on: May 15, 2021, 09:15:45 PM »
I am looking for a good option to replace several burned out motors for the old Kato /con-cor Hudsons.

I have three fried units, the issue tracs to the motor, Pus the length of the stock motor prevents nice cab detail

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1780
    • Maxcow Online
Re: replacement motor for Kato / concor hudsons?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2021, 12:00:14 AM »
+1
I know that short, fat, open-frame motor well.  I'm surprised you have 3 burned out as they were always very tough for me.  I assume you have tried running the bare motor on the work bench and seeing if it runs and how much current it draws?

A pretty quick drop-in would be the old Life-Like open-frame F-7 motors from the 1990s.  Sometimes you can just buy one of those cheap of eBay and snag the motor.  I seem to recall replacing a Hudson motor with one of those, and they fit with minimal filing of the frame.  They are also a very good running motor.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2021, 12:55:37 AM »
I'm also surprised with 3 "burned" motors (whatever exactly that means).
 Did the windings fry?  Commutator worn out?  Brushes/spring?  Plastic brush holder end melted?  What exactly is  burned?
Could the commutator gaps be packed with oily brush residue, causing a short across motor terminals?
. . . 42 . . .

Dirk Jan Blikkendaal

• Crew
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2021, 02:33:18 AM »
I replaced the stock motor with a Mashima / Tokyo Motor on 3 Hudsons.... these motors came from Hallmark F or FT units (took one motor out of my 4 unit sets to make room for a decoder with sound).
Added 2 styrene shims (2 mm thick) on both sides of the narrow collector end, cut off 1 shaft and transferred the old worm to the new motor. The screw will hold the new motor plus shim in place.
I added a tiny drop of CA glue to prevent possible shifting: this way the new motor can still be removed if necessary. Its a perfect motor and the model runs accordingly. For more info read the building instructions on my website www.atsfnscalemodels.com --- engines/cars --- blue goose atsf 3460 2 versions.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

SANTA FE ALL THE WAY
1950-1960
ATSF N Scale Models