Author Topic: Weekend Update 5/2/21  (Read 5844 times)

SAH

• Crew
  • Respect: +1259
Re: Weekend Update 5/2/21
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2021, 08:38:25 PM »
Thanks Oli.  But perfection?  Far from it.  So far so good but there's a ways to go and still time to screw it up.

Steve

Wow ! Perfection, very well done.

Oli

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7958
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2021, 10:15:46 AM »
Recycled a bodged Trak Kit and used it to practice Fusion 360 skills.  Made some SLA and FDM friendly versions of a generalized  Pennsy Catenary supports that can have details easily added and removed fairly easily. This one is based around ones found in South Amboy. As well as a moderate puddle jumper based on some of the ones found around the Central Jersey Salt Marshes that can be printed either in 4 quarters or expanded with an infinitely printable dual piece center expansion.

Sploosh.

GimpLizard

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2021, 04:41:32 PM »
Great work this week everyone!

I’m inching closer on Owings Mills. Added the pylons at the edge of the parking lot, and continuing to tie in the coal trestle. Got close enough to go ahead and paint the fascia!  Next up - trees!

This is really looking good. I'm especially impressed with the grade-crossing on the spur track. That may just be the best execution of a crossing I've ever seen. It has a very natural, and realistic, transition from flat to rise, IMO.

PiperguyUMD

• Crew
  • Respect: +1419
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2021, 08:56:01 PM »
+6
@GimpLizard - Thanks! I stressed over the pavement on this module. It was one of the reasons I procrastinated.

@PiperguyUMD, I love the look of your track and ballast, especially the coloring of your ties. Mind sharing your technique?
Gordon, thanks! No feather in my hat yet, maybe later today (I hope)😬
Otto

Sure. I use Joey Ricard's (SP?) method for weathering track. I spray bombed the entire piece of track flat back, then painted each tie with various mixes of cheap acrylic paints. I put a dab of four different colors on a pallet and let them run together for custom mixes. This part of the project is really time consuming. After that dried I made a solution with ground chalk and alcohol and painted the rails and "tie plates." Once everything is set, I dust the whole thing with different browns and blacks to dull everything down. You can see the four different stages of flex track prep here:

Once glued to the layout, I put a thin application of ballast on the still wet glue between the ties. I also paint the sides of the roadbed with matte medium and sprinkle a very light coat of ballast outside the rails. I try to keep the layer of ballast as thin as possible. Putting down a light coat early in the process provides some tooth for the second coat which helps keep things neat.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7958
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2021, 10:41:21 PM »
+1
@GimpLizard - Thanks! I stressed over the pavement on this module. It was one of the reasons I procrastinated.

Sure. I use Joey Ricard's (SP?) method for weathering track. I spray bombed the entire piece of track flat back, then painted each tie with various mixes of cheap acrylic paints. I put a dab of four different colors on a pallet and let them run together for custom mixes. This part of the project is really time consuming. After that dried I made a solution with ground chalk and alcohol and painted the rails and "tie plates." Once everything is set, I dust the whole thing with different browns and blacks to dull everything down. You can see the four different stages of flex track prep here:

Once glued to the layout, I put a thin application of ballast on the still wet glue between the ties. I also paint the sides of the roadbed with matte medium and sprinkle a very light coat of ballast outside the rails. I try to keep the layer of ballast as thin as possible. Putting down a light coat early in the process provides some tooth for the second coat which helps keep things neat.

This is gonna take forever for the new NCR. But looks 100% worth it!

dem34

• Crew
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +1069
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2021, 11:04:24 PM »
This is gonna take forever for the new NCR. But looks 100% worth it!

A good, appropriately sized flatbrush goes a long way. Each step actually goes pretty quick when you get into a rhythm.
-Al

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2021, 12:35:35 AM »
+1
Thanks for the explanation @PiperguyUMD, looks great,
Otto

PiperguyUMD

• Crew
  • Respect: +1419
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2021, 08:37:38 AM »
A good, appropriately sized flatbrush goes a long way. Each step actually goes pretty quick when you get into a rhythm.

Using acrylics really helps. I would leave everything setup on the work bench along with a jar of water for quick cleanup. That makes it easier to paint 30-50 ties in a sitting during breaks in the day.

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1527
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2021, 09:20:02 AM »

The track crews started cutting in the track for Wizard in The Woods Railcar, a David K. Smith Industry.  I'll have my programming track behind the building
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1636
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2021, 09:00:38 AM »
Modeling a landscape without lots of foliage to hide stuff is tough IMO.  I think you've become an expert at minimal landscapes Chuck.  Well done.  And thanks for putting me onto the Martin Welberg videos.  Good stuff.

Progress on the AC&Y RS1.  Here's the body and frame together and then the naked frame.  Now on to the upgrading the shell.  The more I study photos the more I see that needs to be done to the factory shell.  I think I need to stop studying and take the test. 

Steve

Beautiful job on the handrails. I have a half dozen resin locomotive shells that can’t be considered complete until I build the courage to do the handrails. The most complicated are a pair of Briggs M420b which go end to end and require multiple bends at each end for the step rails.

Would you mind sharing your process?

Craig

SAH

• Crew
  • Respect: +1259
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2021, 09:18:53 PM »
+1
Sure.  New topic in the Scratchbuilding section.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4593
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2021, 12:04:33 AM »
+1
. . . 42 . . .

johnb

• Crew
  • Respect: +887
    • My blog
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2021, 02:27:47 AM »
+2

I just got a Tomytec TM-TR01 from Japan today!

I am going to paint her in Pre WWII maroon. I am considering numbering it as #530 since 530 is going to finally be restored in Perris, CA. 530 was someone's cabin in Crestline and is a prime candidate for restoration.

JMaurer1

• Crew
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2021, 12:13:42 PM »
Johns back!
Sacramento Valley NRail and NTrak
We're always looking for new members