Author Topic: Scale Trains First gen turbine  (Read 3653 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Scale Trains First gen turbine
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2021, 12:08:45 AM »
Just to be clear, I don't think they're "pointy-axle" wipers. After the 8500's, STC switched to using wipers where the axle ends seat inside of holes in the wipers (ala BLI). But either way, it's definitely better than those insane wheelback wipers that they used on the 8500's.

-Mark

Yes, I verified that axle ends are blunt and they are inserted into holes in the sideframe bearing/pickup plates. Similar to what Athearn and BLI done on some of their models.  Yes, it is an improvement over the wheelback wipers, but nowhere as free rolling as the pointy axle and cups design.  Still, a move in a positive direction.
. . . 42 . . .

Railwars611

• Respect: 0
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2021, 06:17:15 PM »
Hi I new here. Recently got my new scaletrain standard turbine. I the loco perform great. The pulling power is a bit disappointing. How ever I was able to get it to pull better. There are spring located on the non power trucks. You need to remove the truck to get to it .This is the reason for the lack of pulling power. My turbine can pull 55 cars. I do have free rolling metal was on each car.

propmeup1

• Crew
  • Respect: +112
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2021, 10:28:18 AM »
I will try that. I put frog snot on all powered wheels since we have four axles picking up without power. I swapped out some heavy BLI cars at 1.2 oz vs. others at .8 oz. It will pull 30 up my 1.34 % now but I will next pull the springs out to see how she does.  I knew I should got two of them. I see UP double head them but it does look good with a challenger behind.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2021, 01:54:04 AM »
I finally had a chance to check out my model (#57 with Farr grilles, no tender).
The assembly of all the add-on appears to have been done more cleanly and fastidiously than on the Big Blow Turbine models.

I was also glad that Scale Trains decided to use metal grab irons on the nose.  Big Blow had those molded out of unpainted translucent plastic.  They stood out like a sore thumb among all the other thinner metal grabs which were painted to match the shell.  The grabs used on this model look good.

But while I was examining all those fine added-on details, I have noticed that both ladders on the right side were damaged.  The front one is cracked, and the rear one is barely hanging on (the top rung is broken).

I contacted Scale Trains customer support (including those photos).  I advised them that I was capable of replacing the ladders.  They are sending me replacement ladders.
I also voiced my disappointment in the enclosed informational pamphlet.  The Big Blow had a really nice booklet with lots of info and exploded diagrams, while this model just has a simple tri-fold pamphlet with very little info.  Plus the first page states that it is for the H0 model, and as someone mentioned earlier, the DCC function definitions are incorrect.  Scale Trains informed that "The information pamphlet included with the N scale Standard turbine had both the wrong scale label (HO) and function chart printed. We are working on having corrected manuals printed and mailed to those who request it. I have placed your name on the list to receive one when they are available. In the meantime, attached is a .pdf copy of the corrected manual that you may use."  The file is rather large <8MB. If anybody wants a copy, PM me your email address and I'll email it to you.  New pamphlet is still only 6 pages, but it has the correct function info.

I have not test ran my loco yet, but looking at the idler trucks, they do have rather stiff springs pushing them down. I think  maybe eliminating that spring, or replacing it with a softer spring will increase the loco's pulling ability.  I would not apply traction tires (or snot) to all the driven axles and just depend on the idler trucks for pickup. In N scale, the more wheels there are picking up power, the better.
. . . 42 . . .