Author Topic: Kato FEF grayhound  (Read 2504 times)

propmeup1

• Crew
  • Respect: +112
Kato FEF grayhound
« on: January 13, 2021, 07:26:36 PM »
+5
I for some reason got board with the 844 in black so I decided to go grayhound to match up with my 3977. I put a Soundtraxx Tsunami in it when I purchased it a few years ago.  Excellent runner. Pulls 18 smooth sides plus two water cars and a tool car.   I did pick up another 844 to keep that one black.

JMaurer1

• Crew
  • Respect: +292
Re: Kato FEF grayhound
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 12:23:46 PM »
Sweet!
Sacramento Valley NRail and NTrak
We're always looking for new members

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 05:53:46 PM »
Yes, a very classy paint scheme, nice job! I’m just astounded that Kato would not produce this great model in Greyhound colors, just the “excursion” black and what they call a  “freight” scheme :facepalm:
This one would sell well (even if they don’t make a pretty color-matched train set to go with it).
Still holding my breath and holding off on converting my brass Key FEF-3, pic below, to DCC sound.
(I know that as soon as I bite that bullet, Kato will produce one).
Otto K.

propmeup1

• Crew
  • Respect: +112
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 07:17:48 PM »
Thank you, glad you like my job done. I’ll try for better pics. I used the Microscale UP set for this.  I must say that the yellow stripes in the set are exactly the amount you need to complete it. There is NO room for era.  Working the PRR S2 now and hopefully I can score one of Superturbines UP 4-12-2 resin shells. That on tap.

Tom Todd

• Crew
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 09:08:56 PM »
+1
No room for era (error) 😁 is why I always have 2 sets of decals handy.
Tom
Go Great; Go Great Northern

Or SP&S

carlso

• Crew
  • Respect: +488
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2021, 07:21:29 PM »
+2
@propmeup1,

Very nice image, great job on the loco! You mentioned 3977, please post an image if you can. I recently completed a re-build of my Key 3985 but repainted in TTG scheme and #'ed her 3982:

Not too bad for my 80 year old fingers!

I am like Otto in questioning why KATO as not done the FEF in other schemes. I guess they know more than me, for sure, when it comes to understanding demand.

Be well,
Carl
Carl Sowell
El Paso, Texas

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2021, 08:51:10 PM »
I am sure Kato will do them at some point.  Is there a passenger set they could come out with to accompany this scheme?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 09:45:53 PM by CBQ Fan »
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

carlso

• Crew
  • Respect: +488
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2021, 08:58:30 PM »

I do not know the answer to that Brian, I am an SP nut but just love Big Steam.

Be well,
Carl
Carl Sowell
El Paso, Texas

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1256
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2021, 03:11:47 AM »
Y'know, I really love the TTG UP scheme for much of its passenger steam power from the middle 40's into the very early 50's....but, the only Kato FEF-3 that would be correct for TTG would be either an excursion 8444 or 844 with yellow stripes.   

The problem is with the Worthington Feedwater Heater that is so prominently on display on Kato's FEF-3 on the elongated smokebox in front of the double stack casting, and on the fireman's side of the engine centered over the 4 drivers.  This advanced steam feature was added to the FEF's (FEF-1, FEF-2, FEF-3) either at their very late 1949 shopping or early 1950's shopping when they were painted back to their shiny black scheme at the same time.  Some FEF-3's, such as the 844, didn't receive their Worthington Feedwater Heaters until the mid-50's. 

UP's plan for their steam engines was to apply this feature to all FEF's eventually, but some did not ever get the conversion because of dieselization.  The conversion was not simple, and involved lengthening the smokebox approximately 10".

So, for the Kato model to be "right" for TTG paint...which for the late 40's would have been the "white" scheme, with very light grey stripes, or the earlier "yellow" scheme with Armour Yellow stripes, the engines would have not had the Worthington Feedwater Heater conversion.

There is a possibility that perhaps one or two FEF-3's that received the Worthington Feedwater Heater conversion at the earliest date could also have retained their TTG paint, but I have not been able to find ANY photographic evidence of any FEF-3 with this conversion retaining the TTG paint job, but every time I find a period photo of a TTG FEF-3, I check to see if it has that distinctive "box" in front of the double-stack casing...but so far, nope....not a single photo.

If a couple of early converted FEF-3's did retain the TTG paint with the Worthington Feedwater Heater conversion, the scheme would have been the "white" version, not the "yellow" version.

Photo (1) - Key FEF-3 844 in the late "white" TTG paint scheme, without the Worthington Feedwater Heater conversion...which is accurate:

Photo (2) - Kato FEF-3 844 in black, detailed for late excursion service with Worthington Feedwater Heater...which is accurate:

Photo (3) - Key FEF-2 in the early "yellow" TTG paint scheme, also without Worthington Feedwater Heater conversion on Nate Goodman's @Nato layout...which is accurate:

Photo (4) - Key FEF-3 8444 in excursion service in "yellow" TTG paint with Worthington Feedwater Heater...which is accurate:

One thing that most custom painters as well as manufacturers get wrong is the smokebox color on late UP TTG FEF engines with smoke deflectors.  It is NOT silver, or "graphite" but a dark, almost black graphite color, with the face of the smokebox being lighter. very close to what the SP did on their late black steam engines.

Luckily, the way the Kato model is engineered, it is very easy to paint it to TTG, the hardest part is getting the stripes straight!  And, it is a fine-looking model, even if it may not be 100% correct for the 1940's TTG scheme :)

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 03:20:50 AM by robert3985 »

GhengisKong

• Crew
  • Respect: +84
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2021, 12:42:55 PM »
I am sure Kato will do them at some point.  Is there a passenger set they could come out with to accompany this scheme?
Early City of St Louis, but it's gonna require some more custom cars. By the time I build my UP 5330 series chair cars, Kato will announce this.

Morning Daylight

• Respect: +3
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2021, 03:01:39 AM »
+1
On the recent WGH livestream Kato semi-officially announced that a yellow stripe FEF greyhound is in the works.

They reference photos of 8444 in excursion service, so most likely going to be that version.