Author Topic: Vender response or lack of  (Read 2255 times)

woodone

• Crew
  • Respect: +33
Vender response or lack of
« on: April 15, 2021, 08:37:54 PM »
I am a bit teed off. I sent to two different decoder manufactures wanting some information about some newer decoders.
Man sales must be great- I can’t even get a reply. No wonder sales are poor.

wvgca

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
Re: Vender response or lack of
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 09:17:55 PM »
how long did you wait for a reply ???
i -assume- it's something that you couldn't read off a picture of the decoder ?

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 10:06:53 PM »
I find this a bit surprising.  My experience is limited to Digitrax and TCS, but I've had good communication from both on any questions/issues I had.  And the manuals for decoders are available on the websites.

Did you fill in a customer service form on the website (which is usually the fastest), or email, or mail?  And which manufacturers?
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

woodone

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2021, 08:45:38 AM »
how long did you wait for a reply ???
i -assume- it's something that you couldn't read off a picture of the decoder ?
. Been waiting for over a week - the information I was seeking was not disclosed.

woodone

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2021, 08:48:50 AM »
I find this a bit surprising.  My experience is limited to Digitrax and TCS, but I've had good communication from both on any questions/issues I had.  And the manuals for decoders are available on the websites.

Did you fill in a customer service form on the website (which is usually the fastest), or email, or mail?  And which manufacturers?
E-Mails were sent to sales sites-
I will not disclose mfg.

wvgca

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2021, 09:06:11 AM »
if you didn't find it on the online product or service manual, chances are it's not available  to the normal user ..?

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2021, 11:46:40 AM »
+1
I will not disclose mfg.

Look, I am only trying to help. 

If someone at the other end of your email is being rude, you have every right to be upset. 

On the other hand, these are all small businesses- so the customer service person (who might be the owner), may reserve 1 or 2 days a month for product info requests, and it is just taking longer than you expected.  I've had 3 and 4 week lag times.  Granted, I've also had same day responses. 

I imagine you've already thought of this, but the first thing I do when I don't get a response to an email to a manufacturer is to check my spam folder.  If they added me to an email list of 500 other modelers asking for info on the same new product (so they only have to send one email rather than 500 separate responses), the yahoo spam filter may indeed stick it in my spam folder, although for some reason, it is allowing all the obviously bogus drug store fishing scams to come through lately. 

Anyway, I hope you get the info you are looking for, one way or the other.

Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +908
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2021, 12:03:28 PM »
+1
I am a bit teed off. I sent to two different decoder manufactures wanting some information about some newer decoders.
Man sales must be great- I can’t even get a reply. No wonder sales are poor.

I will not disclose mfg.

Did you Email the Decoder MFG or a Hobby Shop?

And what information are you looking for?

~Ian

woodone

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2021, 01:33:08 PM »
Look, I am only trying to help. 

If someone at the other end of your email is being rude, you have every right to be upset. 

On the other hand, these are all small businesses- so the customer service person (who might be the owner), may reserve 1 or 2 days a month for product info requests, and it is just taking longer than you expected.  I've had 3 and 4 week lag times.  Granted, I've also had same day responses. 

I imagine you've already thought of this, but the first thing I do when I don't get a response to an email to a manufacturer is to check my spam folder.  If they added me to an email list of 500 other modelers asking for info on the same new product (so they only have to send one email rather than 500 separate responses), the yahoo spam filter may indeed stick it in my spam folder, although for some reason, it is allowing all the obviously bogus drug store fishing scams to come through lately. 

Anyway, I hope you get the info you are looking for, one way or the other.
I know some places are small- and they will remain small if services is not on their menu  Both are manufactures so these are not a one man show. I have had contact with both in the past. One is more slow than the other.
I don’t know if this is rude or what? Where do these e-mails go? I do check spam.

woodone

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2021, 01:36:59 PM »
Did you Email the Decoder MFG or a Hobby Shop?

And what information are you looking for?
E-Mails were sent to the Manufactures.
One was to see if components of a kit were sold separate.- another to get a ship date on a new product.

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +908
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2021, 01:46:04 PM »
I know some places are small- and they will remain small if services is not on their menu  Both are manufactures so these are not a one man show. I have had contact with both in the past. One is more slow than the other.
I don’t know if this is rude or what? Where do these e-mails go? I do check spam.

Maybe your emails got lost in their spam filter..
~Ian

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4614
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2021, 05:36:46 PM »
Does that manufacturer's website has a contact you can fill out to reach them instead of emailing them directly?  If yes, try contacting them using that form.  That way it is unlikely that your request will not get lost somewhere.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 12:42:20 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

CodyO

• Crew
  • Cody Orr-SPF
  • Respect: +194
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2021, 09:59:17 PM »
Whats your question to them?

Maybe someone here can answer your questions
Modeling the Pennsylvania Middle Division in late 1954
             Nothing Will Stop The US Air Force

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +629
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2021, 11:52:18 PM »
Just because it is a manufacturer, does not mean it is not a one man show. I know more than one freight car manufacture that just that, a one man show. I'm pretty sure most of the DCC manufactures are maybe 3-4 people that make up the company. Most of their work is design and then contract somebody to produce it, or at least the parts. Almost everything is contracted out in some way or another these days.
Tony Hines

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +717
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2021, 10:00:15 AM »
Does that manufacturer's website has a contact you can fill out to reach them instead of emailing them directly?  If yes, try contacting them using that form.  That way it is unlikely that your request will not get lost somewhere.
Would you consider it being "unlikely that your request will not get lost somewhere" as a desirable outcome?