Author Topic: Ancient Atlas/Rivarossi Tank Car Update/Mod  (Read 1059 times)

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
Ancient Atlas/Rivarossi Tank Car Update/Mod
« on: April 11, 2021, 10:22:01 PM »
+3
I've been looking for ways to expand the diversity of my 1975 tank car roster ...

The old 1960s vintage Atlas/Rivarossi tank car is a pretty good model considering when it was released.

I did some digging (research) on the prototype for this model here: https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=51424.0

This is the "stock" version of the "victim":

After all that I decided to use it to model UTLX 92001:

Here's a photo of the same tank in 1982 - I willl use this for lettering clues for my 1975 era:
https://www.railcarphotos.com/PhotoDetails.php?PhotoID=68150 (sorry, requires free registration)

I tried to strip it here: https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=51763.75 but failed using 91% rubbing alcohol.

Peteski gave me some suggestions, including "Super Clean" which I tried and it worked perfectly! Here are some pics of the model now. I have lowered the tank onto the frame quite a bit compared to the "stock" model.

For context, next to the car is an Atlas 11K tank (slightly later prototype, with shorter tank lengthwise, but larger diameter tank).

In the photo the car is sitting on ancient Kadee Bettendorfs - I still need to lower the frame onto the trucks. The couplers will be body mounted, a vertical brakewheel will be added, and the trucks will have 21st century steel wheelsets. I will either re-use the "platform" from the model (modified of course) or modify one of the Plano or GMM upgrade kits.

I am at a decision point now - I want to shave off the cast on "railing" and fabricate my own but I'm not sure what to use for "stanchions". I am open to suggestions!

Mark

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Ancient Atlas/Rivarossi Tank Car Update/Mod
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2021, 11:01:00 PM »
Nice stripping job Mark!  :D
As for stanchions, maybe photoetched stanchions for steam locos (GMM I think makes a set), or maybe Diesel lift rings?
. . . 42 . . .

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2021, 12:15:32 AM »
I have no idea if they're still made, but I used to use Detail Associates HO wire lift rings.
N Kalanaga
Be well

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2042
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2021, 09:23:42 AM »
I'm using the GMM lift rings all over for switcher handrail and coupler lift bar mounts, works very well, but they are about the tiniest parts you'll ever try to work with.

GMM may also have some etched walkways and end platforms that would work.   I redid my old Atlas 33K tank car with GMM etched end platforms, handrails, and walkways as well as lowering it and it made an embarassement into a car equal to something that Intermountain would do.

There are at least three GMM detailing sets to look at - the 160-23 & 24 detail kit for MDC tanks and beer can tanks, and the 160-51 for the jumbo tank cars that has the full end platform decks like on your tank.   You'll have to do a little searching to get images of what you get that might work best, but having those see-thru etched platforms was worth the fight as long as I didn't have to do an entire fleet of them.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 08:30:48 AM by randgust »

cjm413

• Crew
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2021, 10:42:18 AM »
Are you modifying the Rivarossi frame or replacing it?

SAH

• Crew
  • Respect: +1259
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2021, 05:37:57 PM »
I love upgrading old tank cars.  I didn't call out the handrail brackets specifically but they're shown in the photo here.  I use .0005 magnet wire.  Make a hook out of the wire you plan to use for the handrail.  Fold a piece of the magnet wire around the hook and spin the hook.  Cheap and simple.  Probably darn near scale too.
Steve
https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=46811.msg614802#msg614802

sd45elect2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +452
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2021, 05:51:48 PM »
+4
I cannot find my Riverossi tank cars. I did however make a number of hybrids using the newer Bachmann 10,000 gallon tank and some intermountain frames. [ Guests cannot view attachments ]