Author Topic: Self-contained portable airbrush?  (Read 3313 times)

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +655
Re: Self-contained portable airbrush?
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2021, 10:54:13 AM »
Ok, that clarifies things -- thanks.

But using "peteski logic" it seems to me that the task you were using that airbrush for would be just as easily done with a conventional airbrush and compressor.

I think that a self-contained cordless airbrushes would be most useful for tasks where it is not handy to use conventional airbrushes. Things like weathering track, or other features on the layout.  It would be easier to do that without having to drag the air hose across the scenery.  But OTOH, the compressor/battery unit in most self-contained airbrushes is an unwieldy appendage under the hand-piece. I think that this would make low-angle spraying (like weathering the rails) awkward or even impossible.

I guess I expected someone with that type of airbrush to report their experience, but so far nobody used it for that type of task.

To clarify further, I was testing it at work in my classroom after school. I was easily able to work right at my desk by my computer, which comes in handy if you are looking at online photos of a prototype. I don't think it is a replacement for a full airbrush and compressor set up, but if you want to keep the noise down in an apartment or townhouse, the battery and compressor are not nearly as loud as a full sized version. It would be easy to do this with a portable paint booth in the TV room if you were using acrylic paints.

I had pretty low expectations given the reputation of Amazon's amazing collection of made in China junk they sell, but my initial test pleasantly surprised me. I think this could be a useful tool, especially for on layout scenery coloring as others have pointed out.
Peter Pfotenhauer