Author Topic: Self-contained portable airbrush?  (Read 3298 times)

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
Re: Self-contained portable airbrush?
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2021, 08:13:20 PM »
+1
Well, good, I’ll be interested to hear from someone who actually tried one :D
Otto K., OP

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2021, 07:35:08 PM »
There's also that mini-compressor which sounds like a great idea but there's no moisture trap nor pressure setting so I wonder how much use that would be. I don't think either of these items are of any use to the craftsman-level modeler.

EJN

• Crew
  • Respect: +206
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2021, 12:16:49 PM »
Micro-Mark has one on the cover of their latest catalog.

https://www.micromark.com/Cordless-Airbrush-Kit-for-Fine-Detail

babbo_enzo

• Crew
  • Respect: +12
    • Experience IT!
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2021, 01:55:36 PM »
I too am tempted! It will seem a convenience in some cases, certainly not in all.
It seems that it has become a "fashion" tool
https://www.amazon.com/cordless-airbrush/s?k=cordless+airbrush
and this is the ceapest one.. look at dimensions!
https://www.magflou.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=363991
Take care all

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2021, 10:57:49 AM »
+2
Well, I decided to splurge and try one of these, the “Auto Cordless Auto Intellectual Airbrush Kit” by I-Beautee. Other than the somewhat silly name and instructions clearly written in Chinglish (“Firstly, take off the cover pour into liquid”) the item appears to be very well designed and made of quality materials. It comes in a classy package.

The double action trigger controls both air and paint flows and there is no on/off switch; the compressor kicks in when the trigger is pressed - a nice feature. Perhaps this “smart” feature is what they meant by “auto intellectual”? The tiny compressor inside runs nice and quiet, which I appreciate...I hate noise.

I chose this model over some others because it is supposed to deliver up to 27 psi. I can’t wait to rest it when I have more time later this week. My intention is to use it mostly for layout weathering without having to drag a hose around. I’m involved with two large layouts, mine and a friend’s, and think it would be nice to have a simple handy tool like this. If it works :P

If it doesn’t, well I have Prime with free shipping both ways...
To be continued...
Otto
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 10:59:57 AM by Cajonpassfan »

CRL

• Crew
  • Needs More Dirt.
  • Respect: +626
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2021, 11:54:49 AM »
Clicking a Micro Mart link should come with a wallet warning…

Every time I access that site I see 4 or 5 items that I want… not need, but want anyway.

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +652
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2021, 04:25:21 AM »
FYI, for anyone thinking of getting one of these, a wide variety of them are on Prime Day specials.
Peter Pfotenhauer

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2021, 12:11:33 PM »
I was really interested in getting a cordless airbrush, until I started reading reviews.  The complaints caused me some concern, e.g., whether the airbrush could spray certain types of paint without having to thin the paint so much that it's worthless.  As a result, I held off on a purchase.  So, I would like to hear from :ashat:'s who have used one, too, and can recommend a specific airbrush.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

railnerd

• Crew
  • Respect: +230
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2021, 06:01:23 PM »
I haven't unboxed mine yet.  Wanted to figure out how to clean it, and awaiting my other friend who ordered one to do the fiddling.

He did suggest sticking to the various "air" acrylics or TrueColor paints as the built in compressor doesn't have much oomph.  He also noted that it was reverse threaded as compared to his Iwata.

-Dave

basementcalling

• Crew
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2021, 03:10:51 PM »
I started playing with mine yesterday. I wound up ordering one from IVSUN, for no particular reason out of the dozens of choices.

It comes in a nice box, well packed, and also includes a hose along with the portable powered compressor. It has 3 different sized paint cups, a set of cleaning brushes, and a small multi language instruction book.

First results were done on a new Athearn 50' FMC Boxcar decorated for MD & W. I chose a non primed for grime scheme so I could accurately measure the impact of the weathering I attempt to apply with the airbrush.

My first selection was some liquitex raw umber mixed to a thin consistency. It sprayed easily from the gun with no issues, though evidently from the cleaning process my raw umber did not fully mix with the water. Next time I will mix in a cup and pour it into the paint container instead of mixing in the paint cup. When I cleaned the brush after using it I had to spend more time blowing clean water through as I was getting blobs of "paint" coming out after a few seconds of clean water. I am not sure if that is a function of the incomplete mixing or the airbrush itself.

Results were pretty satisfactory, surprisingly. Although this model is double action, control of airflow is minimal. Controling the amount of paint, however, is very good. The initial press of the trigger gives almost full air pressure. I did not see much increase in air pressure no matter how lightly I tried to press the trigger down. Paint control was good enough to put forth a fine mist for a light dusting of dirt/rust, as well as a heavier concentration that would cover more of the base paint.

After a few passes side to side and some vertical passes on panels for heavier accumulation, I dried the car side in front of a space heater to lock things in place, and then put it aside for 24 hours.

The first photo is of the stock car.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Here is a picture after the 24 hours of drying.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Crappy cell phone shots, but you can see the effect.
Peter Pfotenhauer

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4581
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2021, 03:40:38 PM »
If I understand your post correctly, your airbrush has a separate compressor and a hose. So it is more like standard airbrush?  I thought the point of this thread was to determine usability of the airbrushes with an integrated compressor (self-contained).
. . . 42 . . .

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2021, 04:46:23 PM »
If I understand your post correctly, your airbrush has a separate compressor and a hose. So it is more like standard airbrush?  I thought the point of this thread was to determine usability of the airbrushes with an integrated compressor (self-contained).

I think some kits have a hose you can place between the airbrush and compressor if you don't want it attached directly.

Jason

basementcalling

• Crew
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2021, 10:01:37 PM »

Surprisingly it came with a hose, but I did not use it. I put the gun on the compressor and sprayed that way. I need a less rushed test run, which I hope I can do tomorrow afternoon after work or on Sunday, but what you see is the first layer applied with one of the cordless brushes.
Peter Pfotenhauer

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4581
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2021, 11:03:05 PM »

Surprisingly it came with a hose, but I did not use it. I put the gun on the compressor and sprayed that way. I need a less rushed test run, which I hope I can do tomorrow afternoon after work or on Sunday, but what you see is the first layer applied with one of the cordless brushes.

Ok, that clarifies things -- thanks.

But using "peteski logic" it seems to me that the task you were using that airbrush for would be just as easily done with a conventional airbrush and compressor.

I think that a self-contained cordless airbrushes would be most useful for tasks where it is not handy to use conventional airbrushes. Things like weathering track, or other features on the layout.  It would be easier to do that without having to drag the air hose across the scenery.  But OTOH, the compressor/battery unit in most self-contained airbrushes is an unwieldy appendage under the hand-piece. I think that this would make low-angle spraying (like weathering the rails) awkward or even impossible.

I guess I expected someone with that type of airbrush to report their experience, but so far nobody used it for that type of task.
. . . 42 . . .

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +561
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2021, 08:48:32 AM »
It seems to me that the niches for this type of tool would be (1) spraying "stinky" paints outside if you don't have a vented spray booth, and (2) spraying non-stinky paints on indoor layout track and scenery.

For the indoor layout task, the hose between the portable compressor and the air brush would seem to address the clunkiness issue.  I would even think about trying to use one of those light hoses like Peteski mentioned ("Badger rubber hose, about 3/16" in diameter") strapped to my arm, going down to my waist where the compressor unit would be hanging on my belt, so that I am not having to worry about where the hose is dragging across layout detail.

So, I would like to hear about how it works for putting base coats of stinky paint on models, and how it works with non-stinky paints on weathering rails, coloring rocks, putting colors on the tips of electrostatic grasses and tree foliage, etc.