Author Topic: CNJ’s Newark Branch in N scale  (Read 2512 times)

dem34

• Crew
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +1069
Re: CNJ’s Newark Branch in N scale
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2021, 10:46:52 PM »
Looks interesting, just needs some camelbacks.
-Al

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2021, 01:07:04 AM »
Very nice.  Thanks for posting here. 

As a distant second cousin to this approach, I have had some test prints of my backdrops printed in grey scale for size & composition testing and I rather like the effect.  I'm considering sticking with it.

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1241
    • Modutrak
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2021, 09:23:22 AM »
Jonathan is an artist first and a modeler second. And that’s the difference.

I think there's a lot of truth in this statement, and it rings true for other modelers that really hit home runs.  Mike Danneman is an artist first.  The Reid Brothers, Bill is a sign painter and artist, and his brother is also an artist... a musician.  Even Rob Arsenault and his weathering is an artist first. 

If I want to improve as a modeler, I think I need some artistic training next.  I've been exploring color theory as part of what I need first. 

Anyway, yes.  Good stuff, and welcome, Jonathan, to Railwire!

SAH

• Crew
  • Respect: +1259
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2021, 08:47:04 PM »
Well, Facebook hasn't stolen my soul yet.  And I agree, the concept of highlighting the trains, fine art style, has had me pondering my modeling style all weekend.  Great stuff, and I'm glad I ran into his presentation at the virtual RPM.  I haven't had my brain tickled in that way, model railroading style, in some time!

It's not your soul that is stolen Mike.  It's time that is stolen.    ;)

In a way Jonathan's May 2002 MR article detailing the construction of Sweeney Manufacturing planted the seed for the techniques I used to build General Tire.  All the wall relief and details for Sweeney were layered up using which ever material was appropriate.  A lot of it was paper based products.  After thinking about it for 17 years  :facepalm: the technology became available at the hobbyist level and away I went.  No looking back now.

The Newark Branch's use of gray undetailed background buildings was another Hmmmm moment.  We talked about that at length that afternoon.  I'm not sure it will find it's way onto the AC&Y but who knows.  Good stuff regardless.

Steve Holzheimer

Doug W

• Crew
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2021, 09:49:52 PM »
Hello, Everyone.  Thanks to those who attended the Hindsight 20/20 meet and enjoyed my presentation.  I have attached a few photos and a link to a video so folks not on FB can have a chance to see what I've been up to.  I hope the links work.

Thanks Jonathan. I've always been a big fan of your modelling. It's great to see it in N and for such an interesting prototype. Keep up the great work!

Cheers
Doug

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2021, 09:53:59 PM »
On the off topic of FB, I just read an article today saying the personal data of 533,000,000 people was sent out into the Wild by a hacker who made it all public.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2021, 10:17:11 PM »
+1
What personal data? That I live in Nome AK?  :trollface:

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2021, 10:21:05 PM »
What personal data? That I live in Nome AK?  :trollface:

Chris, I don’t know man.  I’ve never used the platform but there must be value somewhere for hackers.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA