Author Topic: CSX Train Today  (Read 1954 times)

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
CSX Train Today
« on: March 21, 2021, 06:11:10 PM »
While out with my kids today we got stopped by a CSX train. It had a single engine leading and a single engine mid-train. The overall train was not very long and I found the whole thing very odd.  I have never seen that before.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

dem34

• Crew
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +1069
Re: CSX Train Today
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2021, 06:49:11 PM »
While out with my kids today we got stopped by a CSX train. It had a single engine leading and a single engine mid-train. The overall train was not very long and I found the whole thing very odd.  I have never seen that before.
hmmm. When was the last time you went to railfan? That's been common since for the last couple of years. Though CSX tends to take the distributed part a little further than other railroads, ones I usually catch have one engine front one engine rear.
-Al

CBQ Fan

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2021, 08:07:40 PM »
I see NS and CSX all the time and distributed power is not a regular practice, in fact I have never seen it.  They key oddity was this train was probably half the normal train length and those trains typically only rate 2 engines up front. It also gave me the impression of shuttling empties. My understanding is that distributed power allows you to run much longer trains with greater weight per train. On a shorty like this I don’t the benefits.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +713
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2021, 09:54:23 PM »
If you watch the Virtual Railfan feed on youtube from Ashland, VA, you'll see that power assignment configuration on certain CSX freight trains.
You can rewind up to 12 hours to see what has passed through during that time period.

CBQ Fan

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2021, 10:24:01 PM »
That is pretty cool, I will have to check it out!
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +652
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2021, 10:29:12 PM »
I've seen that arrangement a couple times lately with short CSX trains crossing the Rappahannock River in Fredericksburg, VA. Does look weird. CSX train length went longer a few years ago, but now they seem to be using DPU set ups on some of their shorter freights I consider "locals."
Peter Pfotenhauer

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +907
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2021, 11:05:08 PM »
They key oddity was this train was probably half the normal train length

Only 1 mile long?

~Ian

Englewood

• Crew
  • Respect: +260
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2021, 11:12:23 PM »
Probably two trains that will be split up down the line somewhere. Saves money by using less crews.

Hawghead

• Crew
  • Respect: +323
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2021, 12:48:45 PM »
+2
I see NS and CSX all the time and distributed power is not a regular practice, in fact I have never seen it.  They key oddity was this train was probably half the normal train length and those trains typically only rate 2 engines up front. It also gave me the impression of shuttling empties. My understanding is that distributed power allows you to run much longer trains with greater weight per train. On a shorty like this I don’t the benefits.

On the Portland Sub we crew switch at Hermiston Or.  This is where the river grade territory ends and the heavy mountain grade begins.  Trains coming west into Hermiston from LaGrande often have mid train an rear DPUs.  Digging DPUs out of the middle of a train can be a real pain and time consumer, so it's usually not done until the train reaches it's terminus.  Then if you throw in set outs and pickups, you can often wind up with trains that have mid DPUs running in territory that doesn't require them and also wind up with some fairly weird configurations.  Additionally it's not unusual to equip trains with DPUs at it's initial terminal even though they are not needed on that leg of the cross country trip but will on follow on legs.  It usually comes down to how much time does the railroad want to mess around with DPUs between the initial and final terminals.

Scott
There's a prototype for everything.
If you can't make it perfect, make it adjustable.
DCC is not plug-n-play.

CBQ Fan

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2021, 12:56:33 PM »
It was heading into a yard where the Monon used to have significant engine facilities. Not sure what CSX has now, but I wonder if it was dead in the consist.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

Jbub

• Crew
  • HP 9999
  • Respect: +542
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2021, 01:49:44 PM »
On the Portland Sub we crew switch at Hermiston Or.  This is where the river grade territory ends and the heavy mountain grade begins.  Trains coming west into Hermiston from LaGrande often have mid train an rear DPUs.  Digging DPUs out of the middle of a train can be a real pain and time consumer, so it's usually not done until the train reaches it's terminus.  Then if you throw in set outs and pickups, you can often wind up with trains that have mid DPUs running in territory that doesn't require them and also wind up with some fairly weird configurations.  Additionally it's not unusual to equip trains with DPUs at it's initial terminal even though they are not needed on that leg of the cross country trip but will on follow on legs.  It usually comes down to how much time does the railroad want to mess around with DPUs between the initial and final terminals.

Scott
I saw a UP train the other day that had two "mid train" DPU's and then only five or six cars after them. It really was an odd sight. Usually I only see one mid train DPU and maybe one end of train DPU on tracks west of Ogden. Trains east of Ogden usually have a lot more power. Like four engines up front, one or two mid and maybe one on the end if it's a long heavy train.
"Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!"

Darth Vader

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +713
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2021, 05:58:15 PM »
If you want to see an example of one lead unit plus one mid-train DPU, go to the Ashland VA railcam (linked above) today and scroll back to about 17:29 EDT.
The link below the feed to the north cam may give you a better view.
You'll see a train with one lead unit, followed by a long string of trash container cars, then the single DPU, followed by a group of Tropicana cars and finally some mixed freight.
The rewind works up to twelve hours.
(FWIW, the daily southbound AutoTrain comes through shortly thereafter at 17:42.)

CBQ Fan

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2021, 06:44:37 PM »
If you want to see an example of one lead unit plus one mid-train DPU, go to the Ashland VA railcam (linked above) today and scroll back to about 17:29 EDT.
The link below the feed to the north cam may give you a better view.
You'll see a train with one lead unit, followed by a long string of trash container cars, then the single DPU, followed by a group of Tropicana cars and finally some mixed freight.
The rewind works up to twelve hours.
(FWIW, the daily southbound AutoTrain comes through shortly thereafter at 17:42.)

👍🏻
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

Virginia Atlantic

• Crew
  • Respect: +39
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2021, 08:41:48 AM »
+1
One lead +one mid has been common enough on the RFP in NoVA these days.  I see that layout somewhat regularly.
Modeling Passenger Trains in 1:1 Scale for 23 Years and Counting....

CBQ Fan

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2021, 10:43:00 AM »
Well, on the same track I now have seen this practice heading north and south out of town. So that leads me to conclude it is an intentional practice.  I am curious as to the why behind it and benefits of doing so but it does make train watching more interesting. 
Brian

Way of the Zephyr