Author Topic: Cricut new limits.  (Read 1250 times)

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
Cricut new limits.
« on: March 17, 2021, 02:55:51 AM »
I don't have one of these and have no idea how it works. But this article make it seem like you need to run any design through "Cricut" software to get it into the machine. Well they are starting to limit the number of designs you run unless you subscribe for $$$

https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/15/22332212/cricut-crafting-machine-design-space-upload-limit

Just passing along.

Someone suggested CraftRobo made by Graphtec instead, but no help if you already have a Cricut.

Chris333

• Crew
Re: Cricut new limits.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 02:57:41 AM »
And they are trying to fix, by letting you use designs until December:

https://inspiration.cricut.com/a-letter-to-the-cricut-community-from-ashish-arora-cricut-ceo/

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 04:34:57 AM »
Wow!  So this machine only works on internet-connected computers?  This sort of sound like what software companies do, where you are basically using the software online (it doesn't  reside on your computer).

My old Graphtec CraftROBO came with all the software on a CD (and updates were available for download from the Graphtec.  But this thing is as ancient as my Alps MD printer I used for decal printing.

How about older version of the Cricut?  Were those running standalone?
. . . 42 . . .

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +562
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2021, 09:42:40 AM »
That seems to be the latest gimic. 

I see it on this computer, where my e-mail program says "Cannot save draft" when I type a draft while not connected to the Internet.  Obviously it can save the draft - to my on-board SSD - just not to the "cloud", which I keep trying to turn off.

I was also looking at some WiFi cameras to monitor my yard area.  They will operate without Internet connection, but you can't save the videos on your own computer hard drive unless you are connected to the Internet.  That is intentionally invasive programming, not a necessity of the task being performed.

There is clearly no operational issue with local saving, just a desire by the companies selling the devices and associated software to have copies of everything that they can get their hands on.  It is the truest case of "spyware".  It has nothing to do with a "better customer experience" because the customers want the simplicity and decrease in expense that comes from not having all the limitations and vulnerabilities and lack of reliability that comes from enforcing the Internet connection.

We are going to see more and more of this until some manufacturers decide to buck that trend and make what customers really want - and then those guys will dominate the markets (unless the big, intrusive companies can figure out how to obstruct/destroy them).

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2021, 09:47:37 AM »
The Wyze cameras can save to a local microSD card so you don't need internet connection.

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2285
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2021, 10:09:29 AM »
...I was also looking at some WiFi cameras to monitor my yard area.  They will operate without Internet connection, but you can't save the videos on your own computer hard drive unless you are connected to the Internet.  That is intentionally invasive programming, not a necessity of the task being performed. ...

That's purely the domain of the consumer-grade software provided with some camera lines, which are primarily oriented towards smartphone administration. If you want stalker-free control of your video, you'll need to invest in a DVR, or learn how to use VLC.

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2021, 03:26:01 AM »

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2021, 11:17:20 AM »
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

ncbqguy

• Crew
  • Respect: +384
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2021, 01:12:51 PM »
It is just a reflection of the way people think (or don’t think) nowadays.
No personal privacy, reliance on “the cloud”, lease instead of own, constant “updates” or fixes for faulty released products.
I’ve been a CorelDraw user for thirty years and had to buy new versions just to keep up with changes in operating systems.   Changes in product are mostly rearranging the furniture with very few “features” that I actually use. 
I want to be able to run owned software without connecting to the mothership.  There is too much prying into my computer as it is (auto updates, pop ups, etc). 
I will go out of my way not to buy from companies that pester me with emails, pop up ads and other wastes of my time. 
I’ve got a craft cutter that hasn’t been opened for about fifteen years.  If it won’t work unless online I am going to be mightily pissed!!
Charlie Vlk

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2021, 01:21:52 PM »
It is just a reflection of the way people think (or don’t think) nowadays.
No personal privacy, reliance on “the cloud”, lease instead of own, constant “updates” or fixes for faulty released products.
I’ve been a CorelDraw user for thirty years and had to buy new versions just to keep up with changes in operating systems.   Changes in product are mostly rearranging the furniture with very few “features” that I actually use. 
I want to be able to run owned software without connecting to the mothership.  There is too much prying into my computer as it is (auto updates, pop ups, etc). 
I will go out of my way not to buy from companies that pester me with emails, pop up ads and other wastes of my time. 
I’ve got a craft cutter that hasn’t been opened for about fifteen years.  If it won’t work unless online I am going to be mightily pissed!!
Charlie Vlk

Well, that is why I'm running Corel Draw version 10 and 12 on a Win98SE, and Win XP respectively. Dual boot setup on the same computer. Not connected to the internet, but on my home network.  Those are also connected to my Alps printer, and my old Graphtec Craft ROBO cutter (which I have barely used).  It all works perfectly well, and as long as I have workings hardware, this setup will work for a very long time.  As you probably figured out, I have another computer with more recent OS for my Internet browsing.
. . . 42 . . .