Author Topic: PTFE not 3-1 - totally worth it!  (Read 2049 times)

timwatson

• Crew
  • Respect: +238
    • N Scale Rail
PTFE not 3-1 - totally worth it!
« on: March 07, 2021, 12:25:34 PM »
+2
If you’re new to resin printing then you’ve likely read about using PTFE on FEP.

The only thing I’ve seen others use the the 3-1 Green PTFE liquid. I couldn’t find any locally so I stopped at the local auto parts store and I saw this. $6-$7 bucks.

Long story a bit longer - IT WORKS SO WELL!
Get some to try the next time you clean your vat.

Apply it by spraying it on (yes great news it sprays on). Use your finger to spead it around the parts of your fep that are worn. Really rub it in. Let it all dry. It may have some white scaling on it (not a bog deal). Use a microfiber cloth after its dry to wipe off the remaining residue. Wipe it until it’s nice and shiny. I did 2 treatments to my FEP since prints were sticking so badly and now with almost a full plate I dont ever hear the “thunk” from the peel. I am now a believer.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Tim Watson
My pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nscalerail/sets/

Technology, new ideas and model railroading.

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
Re: PTFE not 3-1 - totally worth it!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 12:33:18 PM »
Well waddayaknow... I have a can of this exact product out in the garage I use on the garage door tracks. It shall be appropriated for the Photon bench!

Thanks!  :D

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3160
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2021, 12:37:45 PM »
I bought some of the 3&1 from Amazon and tried it before my first print- never heard the drum thump. ever.  Yeah, anything that does stick is from a failed support.  Those that do stick pop right off.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2021, 01:53:25 PM »
How do you keep from getting it on your prints?

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2021, 02:06:10 PM »
You are not pooling it on the FEP.  More like applying a light film, like Rain X.  As a matter of fact when I drain the vat, the effect on the resin is similar, the resin likes to stream in bead-like fashion.

I don't think there is enough PTFE to chemically affect the resin.  I have not had any early layer failures as yet even with a 35-40 second base layer (per the RERF) file...

timwatson

• Crew
  • Respect: +238
    • N Scale Rail
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2021, 08:29:45 AM »
@Chris333 I let it get into the cracks and scratches and then mainly wipe it all off. @C855B let me know if you see it do the same good things for you. I’d like to get some more testers. I pinged Uncle Jessy (from YouTube) and put it on his radar as well.

I got crucified on the Photon FB group for sharing this tip. Like 50 comments in 20 minutes and all of them were “you’re stupid don’t share this”.
Toxic place. I was appreciative of folks here.
Tim Watson
My pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nscalerail/sets/

Technology, new ideas and model railroading.

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2021, 12:29:47 PM »
+1
Ask them if they cook pancakes in cast iron with no butter, or in a Teflon coated pan and why.  It really is that simple.

eja

• Crew
  • Respect: +198
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2021, 12:35:50 PM »
Works great on my bicycle chain and sprockets.  Doesn't collect road grime like many other products.

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +564
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2021, 03:39:19 PM »
Ask them if they cook pancakes in cast iron with no butter, or in a Teflon coated pan and why.  It really is that simple.

Well, now that you bring that up (and this is TRW  :P) I actually prefer to cook my pancakes on a cast iron surface.  It actually works better than a Teflon surface for pancakes.  Two factors: (1) you can use a thin metal spatula to get under the half-done cakes to flip them much easier than you can get one of those won't-scratch-the-Teflon thick plastic things to go under, and (2) the cakes don't slide away from the spatula when you try to shove it under because they stick just enough to stay in-place, but come off the well-seasoned iron with no damage.  So the half-done cakes get completely on the metal spatula, instead of having nearly half hanging over the end when I go to flip them.  And both pans clean easily.  Plus, the cast iron provides strengthening exercise.  :D

Now, back to our regular scheduled program on what Teflon is really good for in the model train world.   :D

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2021, 03:46:58 PM »
Well, now that you bring that up (and this is TRW  :P) I actually prefer to cook my pancakes on a cast iron surface.  It actually works better than a Teflon surface for pancakes.  Two factors: (1) you can use a thin metal spatula to get under the half-done cakes to flip them much easier than you can get one of those won't-scratch-the-Teflon thick plastic things to go under, and (2) the cakes don't slide away from the spatula when you try to shove it under because they stick just enough to stay in-place, but come off the well-seasoned iron with no damage.  So the half-done cakes get completely on the metal spatula, instead of having nearly half hanging over the end when I go to flip them.  And both pans clean easily.  Plus, the cast iron provides strengthening exercise.  :D

Now, back to our regular scheduled program on what Teflon is really good for in the model train world.   :D

No oil, no butter, no crisco, nothing?  What I was trying to imply is that either surface requires some form of release, but butter, oil or crisco won't work on the FEP. 

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8041
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2021, 04:13:18 PM »
+2
No oil, no butter, no crisco, nothing?  What I was trying to imply is that either surface requires some form of release, but butter, oil or crisco won't work on the FEP. 

A properly seasoned cast iron skillet actually has a layer of polymerized oil on the surface.

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2021, 04:31:21 PM »
A properly seasoned cast iron skillet actually has a layer of polymerized oil on the surface.

Semantics aside you get my point. Ford something to release, whether it be a properly seasoned cast iron pan, a stainless steel skillet or a teflon coated pan, you need a release agent.

The PTFE on the FEP performs the same function, preventing layers from adhering directly to the FEP, even lightly that when the plate lifts, there is no resistance, it just lets go.

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +564
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2021, 07:52:50 PM »
Semantics aside you get my point. Ford something to release, whether it be a properly seasoned cast iron pan, a stainless steel skillet or a teflon coated pan, you need a release agent.

The PTFE on the FEP performs the same function, preventing layers from adhering directly to the FEP, even lightly that when the plate lifts, there is no resistance, it just lets go.

I was not  arguing with the concept of using PRFE on the FEP.  I was just pointing out that your "comeback" to those who disagree with that should not involve pancakes on a cast iron skillet, because that supposed analogy would undermine your point to those of us who actually make pancakes on cast iron surfaces.

Like my success with pancakes on cast iron, your success with PTFE on the FEP speaks for itself.  So, I wouldn't argue with that.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2021, 08:12:09 PM »
Mmmmmmm pancakes.

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2021, 08:33:29 PM »
I was not  arguing with the concept of using PRFE on the FEP.  I was just pointing out that your "comeback" to those who disagree with that should not involve pancakes on a cast iron skillet, because that supposed analogy would undermine your point to those of us who actually make pancakes on cast iron surfaces.

Like my success with pancakes on cast iron, your success with PTFE on the FEP speaks for itself.  So, I wouldn't argue with that.

Ha. I was replying to Ed! I got your point!