Author Topic: Thoughts & questions - New ESU KATO drop in decoder  (Read 1030 times)

carlso

• Crew
  • Respect: +488
Thoughts & questions - New ESU KATO drop in decoder
« on: March 05, 2021, 05:37:36 PM »
Wouldn't it be nice if the new ESU decoders were all available now. I am just itching to try installs in some ACe's, C44-9's and others. I hope they are easy as we are lead to believe. But I have a question and it is where will the speaker go, inside fuel tank or on back shelf under the board ?

Also, while looking at Bryan's web page the image he has seems to show an amber LED on it or am I just not seeing what I think I am ?

Stay safe,
Carl
Carl Sowell
El Paso, Texas

Steveruger45

• Crew
  • Respect: +524
Re: Thoughts & questions - New ESU KATO drop in decoder
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2021, 06:26:49 PM »
Hi Carl,
I’m waiting on these decoders too for my new sd70M’s and some others. I’m planning and think it is eminently doable to put a 9x16mm speaker on the rear shelf.  I base this opinion upon my 73100 installs in similar framed Kato dash 9’s.   Some minor frame filing will probably be needed to gain speaker enclosure height.  The onbd LED at the rear may have to be moved/replaced though.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 06:28:37 PM by Steveruger45 »
Steve

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2021, 06:59:44 PM »
When are these expected?

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
  • Respect: +425
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2021, 08:17:35 PM »
ESU says “2Q”, so probably late May or June
Rick Brodzinsky
Chief Engineer - JACALAR Railroad
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

EspeeGoldenState

• Crew
  • Respect: +107
    • Modern Southern Pacific
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2021, 01:04:15 AM »
I'm really intrigued for the one that Kelley says should work for the GS4. I have 3 or 4 that are awaiting decoders, though I'm curious at what I will need to do to install it in my original run 4453 without having it short out and fry the decoder.

I have tons of power needed for the other drop in as well, but a steamer without sound is just wrong.

Attempting to model a modern Southern Pacific based in 2015/2016...

Also, I have a passenger train addiction...

EL3632

• Crew
  • I like ALCOs.
  • Respect: +187
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2021, 06:59:45 AM »
Whenever these come out I will pick one up as soon as my hobby shop gets them, and I will attempt to document the process and share here. My primary era is in the 1970s, so SD45s, SD40s, U30Cs are my primary use for this decoder, but I do have some SD70s that I plan on installing these in too.
Modeling the Erie Lackawanna and Delaware & Hudson in 1975, and Conrail and the Delaware & Hudson in 1981.

I want an N Scale GE U33/34/36C!

woodone

• Crew
  • Respect: +33
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2021, 12:55:06 PM »
I'm really intrigued for the one that Kelley says should work for the GS4. I have 3 or 4 that are awaiting decoders, though I'm curious at what I will need to do to install it in my original run 4453 without having it short out and fry the decoder.

I have tons of power needed for the other drop in as well, but a steamer without sound is just wrong.
You need to be real careful with GS-4's from Kato. The best way is to isolate the motor 100% by running separate wires to the motor from the decoder.  This requires you remove the motor to do it correctly.
Not sure has to why this decoder would be used in an GS-4 sound install?.  There is plenty of room in the tender for a decoder and speaker.

EspeeGoldenState

• Crew
  • Respect: +107
    • Modern Southern Pacific
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2021, 11:20:12 PM »
You need to be real careful with GS-4's from Kato. The best way is to isolate the motor 100% by running separate wires to the motor from the decoder.  This requires you remove the motor to do it correctly.
Not sure has to why this decoder would be used in an GS-4 sound install?.  There is plenty of room in the tender for a decoder and speaker.

OP didn’t specify as to which decoder as there are two coming from ESU for Kato.

http://www.esu.eu/en/products/loksound/loksound-5-micro-dcc-kato/

Attempting to model a modern Southern Pacific based in 2015/2016...

Also, I have a passenger train addiction...