Author Topic: Randgust CF7 conversion kits - small rerun  (Read 635 times)

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2035
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
Randgust CF7 conversion kits - small rerun
« on: March 19, 2021, 04:41:33 PM »
+2
I had enough backorders built up to cover my etching costs on these, so I went ahead and did a small rerun of kit etchings for the first time in two years, even though I said I was going to wait Atlas out.

I'm not putting this on the web page for a few days, want to make sure any Railwire regulars get first shot.
http://www.randgust.com/prod07.htm

Now, Atlas has not announced rerun of the newer GP7's or put it on their production schedule.   This needs an Atlas chassis with a Phase 1 long hood (others are possible, but painful).  I do not have any more Phase 1 long hood castings and neither does Atlas.   This will work best on current (2006) chassis but the old Classic chassis will work with just a little grinding up on the LED headlight bracket area.    91% alcohol makes short work of stripping any Atlas unit I've found.

All four cab types, two frame types, and parts for all the stack and battery box variations are available.

While it's tempting to put one of these on a GP15 chassis, I did that as a test and between the additional grinding and poor pickup, I don't recommend it, but it can actually be done.

email me and I'll send advance instructions as a .PDF, if you want a video there's one out on YouTube from when I first did it.

I've done a lot of custom builds on these as well, usually the trick is either finding or designing decals for all the various CF7 owners out there.  Prices depend on things like decal design and paint scheme difficulty, a few have been rather epic.   
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 04:43:50 PM by randgust »

Pomperaugrr

• Crew
  • Respect: +1197
Re: Randgust CF7 conversion kits - small rerun
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 05:02:04 PM »
That is a beautiful conversion kit! 

If you had one for a GP7U, with the Topeka cab, I would definitely be in for one!

Eric

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3088
Re: Randgust CF7 conversion kits - small rerun
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2021, 05:07:41 PM »
+1
Excellent kits !  Here are my 2 units.  My first ever kitbash/builds.  Randy's directions are step by step and walk you thru the whole process.  The hardest part is making that first cut in the long hood.