Author Topic: Rivarossi motors test run - now closed - see new "For Sale"  (Read 4759 times)

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1780
    • Maxcow Online
Rivarossi motors test run - now closed - see new "For Sale"
« on: February 23, 2021, 08:13:17 PM »
+10
ATTENTION:
This thread was for the initial test run of 10 motors, which have now been delivered and the test run is CLOSED.
The motors are for general sale now, and you can see all the information  under

"Atlas/Rivarossi Upgraded "Vintage" Motors - For Sale"

here:

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=51731.0

=======================================================================================

After many many months of experimentation with different armatures, windings, torque and load measurements, I'm ready to offer rebuilt Rivarossi motors for sale.   For anyone who isn't aware of all the background, here are the R&D threads:
https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=51344.0  (motor torque and motor winding)
https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=49685.msg665937#msg665937  (new magnets)

I have had custom magnets manufactured to fit the Rivarossi can, and I essentially re-make the entire motor with a new 3-pole skew-wound armature, a new magnet, and new brushes and brush springs.  These are more powerful and run slower than the original motors, draw a lot less current, and won't "melt down" on you the way the old motors did.

The intent here is to have a decent, reliable motor that can easily be dropped right back into the chassis without any modifications. 

In addition, because the new motor has such a strong magnet in it, it will lift the trailing truck of the engine right up off the track, so I have to modify trailing trucks, replacing the steel top strip with a brass one.

I have tested these motors in the 4-6-2, 2-8-2, and 0-8-0.  However, they should fit the 0-4-0 as well.  I just don't have a way to test that.  So if somebody wants one for an 0-4-0, I will sell you one to try out.  If it doesn't fit or doesn't work, you get all your money back, so don't worry.

TERMS, PRICING, and AVAILABILITY:

1. I am selling a small initial batch of only 10 motors at this time.  I want to get some in peoples' hands and let them try them out before I unleash them "en mass".  It will be first-come, first-serve, and I will only sell 2 motors maximum to any one person.

2. Price is $20 each, postage included.  After this initial batch are gone, and I get some feedback from users, the regular price will be $30 each, postage included.  The first 10 get a break because you will be the "early adopters".

3. Terms:
You must send me:
- your old motor
- the little fork coupling or worm gear (for an 0-8-0 or 0-4-0) must be on it
- your old trailing truck if there is one
- if you include any attached headlight contact and wire that's connected to your old motor, I'll make sure that's on
the new one when I send it back.

This is a hard requirement.  I only have a handful of parts and motors rebuilt to sell, and there will be no steady supply of these if there isn't a "core exchange" system like this. 

I will send you:
Rebuilt motor and modified trailing trucks after receiving payment.

4. Guarantee: If for any reason you don't like the motor, or if it does something stupid and fails on you, just send it back and you get all your money back.  No excuses, no BS.    You expect these to work, and so do I.

5. How to get one (or two):
Just send me a PM.  Once the first 10 are gone (IF they are ever gone!), I'll hold any other requests until such time as the first 10 have been sent out and I feel 100% confident that they are solid.

I will add some photos soon so you can see what the modifications look like.

Thank you everybody!

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 03:04:28 PM by mmagliaro »

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +908
Re: Rivarossi upgraded motors now for sale
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 08:20:15 PM »
If only my frames were in one piece :)
~Ian

mmagliaro

• Crew
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 09:21:32 PM »
+3
If only my frames were in one piece :)

Yeah, well, I can't help ya there.  It's a motor, not a magic wand.   ;)

Showme

• Crew
  • Respect: +29
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 09:22:55 PM »
Just the thing I've been waiting for. PM sent.

Bob

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3160
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2021, 10:02:29 PM »
Max, Does this motor fit in the old 0-4-0, and if it does, is the old motor all you need?

mmagliaro

• Crew
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2021, 10:46:56 PM »
Max, Does this motor fit in the old 0-4-0, and if it does, is the old motor all you need?

Note:
I have tested these motors in the 4-6-2, 2-8-2, and 0-8-0.  However, they should fit the 0-4-0 as well.  I just don't have a way to test that.  So if somebody wants one for an 0-4-0, I will sell you one to try out.  If it doesn't fit or doesn't work, you get all your money back, so don't worry.

Yes, all I need is the old motor, with the worm on it of course, because that has to go on the new motor.  If it doesn't fit and work for you, just send it back and you get your money back.  You'll just be out whatever postage it costs you to send it to me.  I think there's a 90% chance it will fit.  I'm hoping somebody will try one so we can raise that number to 100% if it works.   ;)

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +908
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2021, 11:51:37 PM »
The motor should fit in the E8 and C-Liner as well..correct?
~Ian

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2021, 11:59:02 PM »
+2
Don't need one of these but what a great service you are providing Max.  I heart  :ashat:!   :D

mmagliaro

• Crew
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2021, 12:54:20 AM »
Don't need one of these but what a great service you are providing Max.  I heart  :ashat:!   :D

Thank you, man!   Honestly, I have thought about this for years.  Despite the age of these engines,
there are thousands upon thousands of them in drawers that people gave up on for want of a reliable
motor that they could just "pop in" without major surgery.  As long as the frames aren't crumbling, these beasties
will last forever.

kiwi_al

• Crew
  • Respect: +359
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2021, 03:09:20 AM »
Umm I have a few but I don't live in the U.S. Am I out of luck?

mmagliaro

• Crew
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2021, 03:47:09 AM »
Umm I have a few but I don't live in the U.S. Am I out of luck?

No, you're certainly not out of luck.  But I can't do free shipping out of the US.  Send me a PM and we'll work something out.

-- Max

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3160
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2021, 07:03:30 AM »
Note:
Yes, all I need is the old motor, with the worm on it of course, because that has to go on the new motor.  If it doesn't fit and work for you, just send it back and you get your money back.  You'll just be out whatever postage it costs you to send it to me.  I think there's a 90% chance it will fit.  I'm hoping somebody will try one so we can raise that number to 100% if it works.   ;)

Max, sorry I missed that- I have two beloved units I will gladly test for you.

If you need dimensions I will also measure it for you and send some pics so you can be sure, before I order two.

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2021, 08:40:47 AM »
Thank you, man!   Honestly, I have thought about this for years.  Despite the age of these engines,
there are thousands upon thousands of them in drawers that people gave up on for want of a reliable
motor that they could just "pop in" without major surgery.  As long as the frames aren't crumbling, these beasties
will last forever.

Well maybe that will give me a reason to look for Rivarossi locs.  They were very prevalent when I was a kid and I used to dream about them.  But I couldn't afford them back then.

mmagliaro

• Crew
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2021, 12:35:08 PM »
The motor should fit in the E8 and C-Liner as well..correct?

I do believe those engines used the same can motor, but I don't have any RR E-8's or C-Liners to confirm or test this.
Of course, once again, if somebody has a dead E8 or C-Liner they want a motor for, and can pull the motor and send it to me for the swap, we can find out for sure.  Just like for the 0-4-0 (which I have an order for now, so we'll know 100% for sure if it works in a week or two), all you risk is a little postage.  Anybody who isn't happy with their motor just sends it back and gets all their money back.

narrowminded

• Crew
  • Respect: +743
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2021, 01:26:23 PM »
+3
What an asset you are!  You never cease to amaze!  8) 
Mark G.