Author Topic: Proto:87 Quick Switching Test  (Read 2687 times)

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7846
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Proto:87 Quick Switching Test
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2020, 09:27:15 AM »
You lose points for no safety stop before making the hitch ;)

perezbill

• Crew
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2021, 01:01:32 PM »
To convert ME track to work with Proto 87 what do you need to do?

dem34

• Crew
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +1067
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2021, 01:15:48 PM »

Proto 87 is more of an operational guideline to track,wheels and operations then it is a defined list of things that need to be done. In most case you can use proto 87 scale wheel sets and their associated scale couplers on standard track flex track, its when you get to turnouts that there's any major difference as far as I understand. And there is also the fact that the scale wheels and couplers are inherently going to be more adversely affected by pretty much any slop in the track work that would normally be fine for standard flanges and couplers.
-Al

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2021, 01:36:46 PM »

The flextrack works as-is.

To convert an ME turnout, replace the frog with a #6 frog built to P:87 standards.  That could be something you make yourself, or one of the P:87 #6 frogs from the Proto:87 stores.    You also need to replace the guard rails and modify the points/throwbar to match the proper P:87 dimensions.  Overall it's not really diifficult or time-consuming, tho the first few take some time to learn the process, parts, etc.   A proto:87 standards track gauge is an essential tool.   On some turnouts I had to do some extra fiddling since the curved rails are made a bit a bit too wide for P:87 wheels (in order to accommodate some of the older, oversized HO locos and rolling stock).   I was able to successfully run converted 6-axle diesls and 73' ceneterbeams thru the converted ME turnouts.

You can also buy P:87 turnouts from Proto:87 Stores online, in either kit or fully assembled.    I've found that even the assembled ones can take a bit of fiddling.  With those you do have the option of other turnout sizes in addition to the #6.

HTH,
Ed
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 01:38:41 PM by ednadolski »

ednadolski

• Crew
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2021, 01:44:12 PM »
the scale wheels and couplers are inherently going to be more adversely affected by pretty much any slop in the track work that would normally be fine for standard flanges and couplers.

FWIW, I just loosely lay the ME track down on the surface and things in general run pretty well, so it's not quite the precision application that one may think at first.   (I will sometimes tack it down with track nails/pins, or even a bit of double-sides tape -- mainly cuz I haven't decided where I want the track to go, and I want to be able to easily move it later.)

Other brands of flextrack may or may not work with P:87.  They might be made a bit wider, or have that loose/sliding rail thing going on, which adds too much slop.

Ed

perezbill

• Crew
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2021, 05:01:27 PM »
You can also build FastTracks switches to Proto:87 standards. Basically it's just the clearance at the frog which can be larger for NMRA wheels or smaller for Proto:87 wheels.

ednadolski

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2021, 06:21:24 PM »
You can also build FastTracks switches to Proto:87 standards. Basically it's just the clearance at the frog which can be larger for NMRA wheels or smaller for Proto:87 wheels.

Be sure to use the P:87 track gauge for all dimensions.   The flangeways at the frog/wing rails and guard rails are dimensionally closer to N scale NMRA measurements (tho not exact -- hence the P87 gauge is essential).

(In some sense I think of it as building an N scale turnout, only with taller rail and a wider gauge.) ;)

Ed
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 06:23:02 PM by ednadolski »