Author Topic: Atlas / Loksound decoder will not run on Digitrax but ok on Lokprogramer  (Read 1059 times)

bdennis

• Crew
  • Respect: +172
    • Delaware & Hudson Champlain Division
I have a interesting problem with an N scale Atlas C420 with factory Loksound sound decoder installed.
Was running fine a few months ago. But now.. Nothing (on the layout).
I have a number of other Loksound loco's on the layout plus non sound loco's that run fine.
I have a Digitrax DCS100 command station and DT402D, DT602D throttles.

The problem loco runs perfectly on a test track when connected to a LokProgrammer using the Loksound software so I know the issue is not pick up or board install.

When I select the loco on the Layout I can see that it is listed in the "slot's" on the command station but will not respond to any command.
When I select the loco on the DT402D it usually says STAT 128 for the speed steps but for this loco it says STAT TRI suggesting that the system thinks it is set to Trinary mode.
On the command station in the slots table it lists the loco as 28 Step trinary.

I have turned off all the European such as motorola etc functions within the decoder to no avail. Same problem. Will run on the test track from the Lokprogrammer but not on the layout.

I can read back the loco address on the programming track from the DT402D and set it again. No issues.
If I turn on the sound on the Lokprogrammer test rack and move the loco to the layout the sound will start but the loco wont run and will not reply to any function on or off commands.

My next step is to do a CV reset on the loco..
I have tried a CV8=8. from the Digitrax command station. This did not fix it.
I have tried a reset from the Lokprogrammer. This did not fix it.
CV29 is set to 58

Any thoughts or bright ideas as to why the loco will not run or what mode it has got itself into?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 02:28:22 AM by bdennis »
Brendan Dennis
N scale - Delaware & Hudson Champlain Division

EL3632

• Crew
  • I like ALCOs.
  • Respect: +187
Re: Atlas / Loksound decoder will not run on Digitrax but ok on Lokprogramer
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2021, 12:30:28 AM »
To rule this out, dump the address from the system and try reacquiring. Sometimes the system just thinks the address is doing something it shouldn't.
It seems like the problem is related to the DCC system somehow, if the decoder works fine on the programmer.
Modeling the Erie Lackawanna and Delaware & Hudson in 1975, and Conrail and the Delaware & Hudson in 1981.

I want an N Scale GE U33/34/36C!

bdennis

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2021, 12:38:34 AM »
Yep tried releasing the loco from the Slot table via JMRI No fix..

Tried a number of resets (per updated 1sxt post). No avail.
Brendan Dennis

bdennis

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2021, 12:50:08 AM »
If I set the address to 400 via the programmer and then test on the layout it works fine. If I go back to 410 (via the same process).. It does not...
May need to reset the DCS100 and re MU all my loco's....
Will keep testing
Brendan Dennis

EL3632

• Crew
  • I like ALCOs.
  • Respect: +187
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2021, 12:58:49 AM »
I am thinking JMRI did not dump the address properly. Try selecting your engine, make sure it is in forward, with no functions active, not in a consist, and then dispatch its address from your throttle. That should force it out of the system. This is the only for sure way I have found to dispatch an address from a throttle and actually dispatch the address. Digitrax is very persnickety sometimes.
Sometimes, at least for me, when JMRI doesn't work, hard resetting the system (with the OpSw for Digitrax) is the only way to for sure dump the system.
I have seen this problem happen before as well, can't select your address no matter what, but reprogramming the address works. Usually when this happens I have hard reset the system and it works. It sucks, but sometimes that is necessary.

Modeling the Erie Lackawanna and Delaware & Hudson in 1975, and Conrail and the Delaware & Hudson in 1981.

I want an N Scale GE U33/34/36C!

bdennis

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2021, 05:37:02 AM »
I am thinking JMRI did not dump the address properly. Try selecting your engine, make sure it is in forward, with no functions active, not in a consist, and then dispatch its address from your throttle. That should force it out of the system. This is the only for sure way I have found to dispatch an address from a throttle and actually dispatch the address. Digitrax is very persnickety sometimes.
Sometimes, at least for me, when JMRI doesn't work, hard resetting the system (with the OpSw for Digitrax) is the only way to for sure dump the system.
I have seen this problem happen before as well, can't select your address no matter what, but reprogramming the address works. Usually when this happens I have hard reset the system and it works. It sucks, but sometimes that is necessary.

Yep have tried dispatching using both the DT402D and the DT602D with no luck.
the loco works fine if I change the address.
So the next step is to reset the DCS100.
Brendan Dennis

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2896
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2021, 07:00:23 AM »
you need to status edit the decoder out of trinary back to 128 steps .. do that using the throttle . .

https://www.digitrax.com/media/apps/products/throttles/dt400/documents/dt400.pdf

Section 15   page 54 .. status editing a decoder ..

This happens some times when you pick up some static ..

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2021, 11:55:36 AM »
This happens some times when you pick up some static ..

Or it could have been the DT602D.  One of the early DT602D firmware defaulted to the Trinary mode and caused a number of people on the Digitrax IO mail list to complain about just such a thing where they could program a loco and use it via a programmer or a JMRI throttle but not with the DT602D. I don't recall if any also had other Digitrax throttles that didn't work.

You should probably note the DT602D's firmware date/version when it first turns on and check the Digitrax site to see if you're up to date.  There were somewhere in the range of 4 or 5 firmware releases over the first 6 months. or so.
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

bdennis

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2021, 03:37:38 PM »
you need to status edit the decoder out of trinary back to 128 steps .. do that using the throttle . .
https://www.digitrax.com/media/apps/products/throttles/dt400/documents/dt400.pdf
Section 15   page 54 .. status editing a decoder ..

Thanks John.. Yep that fixed the problem.

I set the loco back to its correct address using the Lokprogrammer.
Then did a status edit via the DT402D and all is now working.
Thanks.
Brendan Dennis