Author Topic: Scale Trains Live video from 2/11/21 (5 new N scale locos in the pipeline?)  (Read 2966 times)

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
Re: Scale Trains Live video from 2/11/21 (5 new N scale locos in the pipeline?)
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2021, 05:04:26 PM »
+2

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on this Bob.

We all want a good range of models, but an obscure prototype is ultimately only going to be able to generate a limited number of sales and runs compared to a more-common prototype, so I think it should have a lower priority, regardless of whether I want it. Manufacturers just give up on N if they don't get a high sales return - Exactrail and Hornby are examples of this.

I await further ScaleTrains announcements with interest!

Cheers

Doug

What we really need is companies that are focused on doing both.  We need companies focused on a broader range of offerings, say like Atlas GP units.  We also need companies focused on more unique offerings, say like Scale Trains.  One singular approach across an entire market flies in the face of all markets I can think of. We need companies to find their own market that they can make profit by selling us quality products.   
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2098
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2021, 11:55:46 PM »
Doug @Doug W , it certainly is an excellent choice for me, and for many other prototype UP modelers.  The Standard Turbine (Baby Turbine) and its fraternal twin the Veranda, started on the UP in 1954 and lasted until 1964, giving it an entire decade to be prototypically correct for most of the UP lines, from east to west, from north to south....so, we really do NOT all have to "become 1950's modellers of specific UP lines!" as is your contention, just 1950's and 1960's modellers of the UP. Quite a bit less specific.

My opinion of what is good for N-scale is ANY well-done, well thought-out, well detailed model...even relatively exclusive or obscure ones.  There are enough manufacturers who will fill the voids eventually, and luckily, I am modeling one of the roads whose gaps are probably filled more often than many others, even though (unless I decide to do it) I seriously doubt that any model of UP's most common caboose will ever be made in N-scale....the ubiquitous wooden-bodied, steel-framed CA-1...another model that has never been made in N-scale either in brass or plastic....and no, the Revell/Rapido/Arnold model isn't a CA-1.

I am pretty sure that ScaleTrains is not looking to produce just models of engines that were/are the most prototypically common, nor "what is best for N-scale"...but what is most profitable for themselves, and I sincerely hope they are having remarkable success.

EDIT: Just went to the ScaleTrains site and they are completely sold out of their pre-orders of Standard Turbines.  I suppose I can conclude that this model was a roaring success for them and that there will likely be a second run. Great choice ScaleTrains!

Maybe they'll get into steam engines one day for N-scale.  I could sure use several Rivet-Counter UP TTT's in helper service on my Wasatch Grade!...or some Harriman Era SP & UP Consolidations switching side by side in my Ogden Yard...the SP with a whaleback tender and the UP with its little Vandy tender with an oil bunker installed and extended water hatches or the odd cylindrical tender.  With different tenders, these would be excellent foobs for other roads too...at least as good as the Bachmann 2-8-0 is, and with Rivet-Counter details....YEAH!  Both good for N-scale, and good for ScaleTrains simultaneously.

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore

If they did Turbine #1 as delivered without the Union Pacific on the nose , that would also sell out as only the first 3 Super Turbines shared the same time frame as a few Big Boys . That would get you to haven too .

Richie Dost

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1254
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2021, 07:16:58 PM »
+1
If they did Turbine #1 as delivered without the Union Pacific on the nose , that would also sell out as only the first 3 Super Turbines shared the same time frame as a few Big Boys . That would get you to haven too .

I had three Overland GTEL SuperTurbines when I decided my cut-off date for my era was Dec. 31, 1956.  Broke my heart to sell 'em on eBay, but they had increased markedly in value and I used the money for layout construction, buying Athearn Big Boys & Challengers, and purchasing a top-of-the-line Digitrax wireless DCC system and a bunch of decoders.

Nowadays, I just don't worry about cars or engines or trains that aren't in my chosen era (1947 thru 1956)...and my friend Nate @Nato lets me run the engines I like (but will never buy) on his layout...which helps a lot!  Thanks Nate!! :)

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7958
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2021, 09:31:33 AM »
As an N scaler modeling the late 40s I have a dilemma.

As an ex Milwaukee employee, and an ex WC employee I was actually one of the people that painted out the Milwaukee road on the sides of the engines. I was also party to painting and making modifications to the SDL-39s on the WC like installing and wiring the ditchlights. They copied my brushstrokes to scale.

After CN took over WC I also got the engines ready to travel.

I almost feel the need to buy these in HO, all of them...

That's so cool. Yeah, you definitely need one. Gotta get one of those body scan 3d prints of you on it too.