Author Topic: RPM Chicagoland Mini-Kits  (Read 6519 times)

squirrelhunter

• Crew
  • Respect: +165
Re: RPM Chicagoland Mini-Kits
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2021, 01:16:12 AM »
Well, I can tell you that overnight in 91% alcohol won’t touch it. My IM donor car is Brown with white lettering (CNW). It appears to be molded in brown with the lettering applied directly to the plastic.  I guess I  will have to paint over it. 

Now I really need to look closely at the inside if the shell...mine is an NKP kit, didn't think about the car being molded in brown...

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2021, 01:59:42 AM »
Well, I can tell you that overnight in 91% alcohol won’t touch it. My IM donor car is Brown with white lettering (CNW). It appears to be molded in brown with the lettering applied directly to the plastic.  I guess I  will have to paint over it. 

I kind of like the irony of painting out the CNW scheme to apply a CGW logo.

I’m hoping to get started on those kits soon, but not sure it will happen with summer in Colorado about to happen.......

Tom L
Wellington CO

While some early N scale cars were unpainted, I doubt that the IM car us unpainted plastic.  Many manufacturers mold their cars using plastic that has a similar color to the paint that will be applied onto the car.  Going by the IM's orange reefer cars I have, I also thought that they were unpainted plastic, but they are painted with a very thin layer of translucent orange paint.

With paint so thin there should not be any need to strip it before repainting.  But you might end up with ghosts of the original lettering visible in the newly applied paint.

If you want to try stripping the IM paint, try Floquil/Testors ELO (Easy Lift Off), Scalecoat Wash Away paint remover, or even the "Purple Stuff" heavy duty cleaner.  Original foaming Easy off oven cleaner might also work. Be careful with the last 2 as they contain Lye, and will eat your bare skin.
. . . 42 . . .

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +994
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2021, 11:13:21 AM »
I have a bunch (40+?) of IM cars built from kits, and only one scheme was printed over unpainted plastic - IM made a pair of BAR steel reefer kits (with the big BAR lettering, not the the scheme that's in the current IM catalog) as a special release for some club or historical society.    It's not a good look, because the orange plastic is not only translucent but the translucent plastic appears differently depending on the thickness of the plastic at various places.   I had to install a light-blocking liner in the shell when I assembled them, but they still don't look great.

I've never seen another IM car that was lettered but not painted.
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

squirrelhunter

• Crew
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2023, 11:08:22 PM »
+11
So I realized I never posted the completed CGW boxcar on here:

I've got some Unitrak I'm using to test a track arrangement for some switching modules, so I grabbed a couple of quick shots.

I ended up just using ELO to strip the lettering and hit the while car with Tamiya TS-33 dull red, and weathered it with Pan Pastels. Used craft acrylics to do the natural wood roofwalk. Masked off the reweigh data when I weathered it so it would look fresher than the rest of the paint. Sealednit all with Tamiya flat clear.

jpwisc

• Crew
  • Respect: +1935
    • Skally Line Blog
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2023, 11:23:38 PM »
+5
I don’t think I posted mine either.

Here’s the 2017 CGW car with a trio of the 2018 cars.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

And my 2019 cars
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: September 23, 2023, 11:27:28 PM by jpwisc »
Karl
CEO of the WC White Pine Sub, an Upper Peninsula Branch Line.

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2023, 12:20:27 AM »
lookin good! 8)

squirrelhunter

• Crew
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2023, 12:21:07 PM »
jpwiac, those cars look great!

jpwisc

• Crew
  • Respect: +1935
    • Skally Line Blog
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2023, 04:24:42 PM »
Karl
CEO of the WC White Pine Sub, an Upper Peninsula Branch Line.

jargonlet

• Crew
  • Respect: +133
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2024, 08:40:26 PM »
+8
Finally got started on mine. I haven’t had a chance to work on the IC car but I did finish the CGW. It still needs weathered so it’s at the top of the list for that. On mine I added brass grabs and ladders.